• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels trade for Andrelton Simmons - Aybar, Newcomb, Ellis & $2.5mm to Braves $*#&

nate

I haven't bothered to look, so someone please help... Who were we expecting to be able to play SS after this year? More Aybar? I don't think Baldoquin is quite ready.

Saying we had no glaring need at SS seems shortsighted, only thinking of this year. I don't like losing Newcomb, but I like having SS locked down with a tangible commodity.

featherbat?

That trade was like taking the last two dollars from a man dying of thirst and using it to buy him a jacket. 

That trade was like watching the Titanic sink and throwing potential survivors a rubber ducky. 

Long story short, we need offense and our offense just got worse.  But on the bright side, our pitching staff will likely improve and we just got ourselves some free press at the end of each year when Simmons wins the Gold Glove Award. 

I thought this showed good foresight. It prevents having to either lose Aybar for nothing or sweat having to make a QO.

The team is now younger, more athletic and better defensively and cost controlled at a premium position for 5 more years. That Simmons will continue to be an elite defender with room to grow offensively is much more certain than the potential that Newcomb possesses.

We gave up one year of Aybar, one prospect in the top 25, and another on the fringe of the top 100, for five years of one of the better shortstops in the game at a reasonable contract. A guy who a couple years ago was worth 7.0 WAR.

Whether you like the trade or not, I struggle to see how we over-paid.

"A guy who a couple years ago was worth 7.0 WAR" is basically everything wrong with this team.

David O'Brien Verified account ‏@DOBrienAJC

#Braves Coppolella said in 2 hrs since the trade was finalize, he's gotten 3 calls from teams wanting to trade for Aybar.

Braves gonna maximize on their return. Already netted what is now their #1 prospect in their system, and will now probably spin Aybar in another deal most likely.

Edited by bloodbrother

"A guy who a couple years ago was worth 7.0 WAR" is basically everything wrong with this team.

unless i'm reading this wrong, this comment really doesn't apply. i think you're talking about our over the hill did it all on another team glory days players, which simmons is not even remotely a part of. this kids best years are ahead of him. that's the kind of players we should be acquiring. yes, it was at great cost. did it make the team better right now? i don't know, but i know he's the best player in the trade for the forseeable future.

David O'Brien Verified account ‏@DOBrienAJC

#Braves Coppolella said in 2 hrs since the trade was finalize, he's gotten 3 calls from teams wanting to trade for Aybar.

Braves gonna maximize on their return. Already netted what is now their #1 prospect in their system, and will now probably spin Aybar in another deal most likely.

what else would they be doing? i don't think anybody expects aybar to stay with the braves. 

That trade was like taking the last two dollars from a man dying of thirst and using it to buy him a jacket.

That trade was like watching the Titanic sink and throwing potential survivors a rubber ducky.

Long story short, we need offense and our offense just got worse. But on the bright side, our pitching staff will likely improve and we just got ourselves some free press at the end of each year when Simmons wins the Gold Glove Award.

But did the offense really get worse? I doubt it. Aybar is starting to regress and Simmons is entering his prime.

Long story short, we need offense and our offense just got worse. But on the bright side, our pitching staff will likely improve and we just got ourselves some free press at the end of each year when Simmons wins the Gold Glove Award.

Aybar had an 81 OPS+ in 2015. Not sure how the offense "got worse". At worst, it's about the same going forward.

Long story short, we need offense and our offense just got worse.  But on the bright side, our pitching staff will likely improve and we just got ourselves some free press at the end of each year when Simmons wins the Gold Glove Award. 

At worse, the offense is exactly the same.  The difference is Aybar is declining at the plate and Simmons has upside at the plate.  This is a guy who hit 17 home runs one year.  Aybar never had that.

I think by the time this off-season is over and all the moves are made, we will be very happy.

Edited by VariousCrap

and he does have some pop. 17 bombs and 27 doubles a couple seasons ago. 

.299/.352/.397 career hitter in the minors. 

We should be really careful talking about that 17 HR season which was an outlier. He's more of a single digits HR type.

http://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts.aspx?playerid=10847&position=SS&type=battedball&pid2=10847&ss1=2013&se1=2013&ss2=2013&se2=2013&cht1=hittype&cht2=battedball&vs1=ALL&vs2=ALL

Aybar was pretty great defensively. How much better can somebody be?

It's over 8 min long but worth it. Might change the opinion on how valuable defense CAN be after watching it. Still don't like the cost, but dude is AMAZING defensively.

We all loved to rail on the "omg how can MVP voters ignore defense of Trout vs Cabrera" until suddenly we've forgotten how valuable it can be because we didn't want to give up Nuke.