• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Active Hall of Famers

Am I the only one who has mentioned Berkman?

Career .943 OPS is 26th all time ahead of Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and Jeff Mathis. 350+ homeruns and if he stays relatively healthy the next year or two (unless he retires) he should have over 2000 hits. .406 OBP is 43rd all time. Granted he has been pretty bad defensively over his career, he has still amassed a career 51.8 WAR in 15 seasons.

He certainly has the rate stats, but not enough career value.

As I said, he will likely have more than 2000 hits by the end of his career, unless he retires after next season. I'm not sure what your point is regarding his health, as he is nearing the end of his career. BTW there are about 20 position players in the HOF with lower career WAR's.

Also look at a guy like John Olerud. 255 career homeruns. .863 career OPS. Are you going to tell me he belongs in the Hall over Berkman because he has a couple hundred more hits and about 2+ WAR?

I would consider Olerud in a similar category to Berkman. Neither one is getting in. I think Olerud went one and done, right off the ballot.

Berkman has had a very solid career but I don't think he gets in.

The rate stats are definitely nice but he doesn't have the career numbers that voters love. Plus, he wasn't good defensively or on the bases so his value isn't all that high. You probably need at least 60 WAR to be considered.

There's no way Beltre is a Hall of Famer, now. 

He'd have to finish with some really good years to be considered IMO. 

Dude was also part of the steroid era and from what I understand from people close to the situation, he was juicing like no other.

Joe Nathan

Adam Wainwright

Adrian Gonzalez

Jon Lester

Adam Dunn

I won't even bother asking about Pablebon here.

Alfonso Soriano

Of all those guys..I think one or two of them will get in.

I'm not sure any of those guys get in. 

Nathan has been great but it's tough making it in as a reliever. 

Wainwright won't end up having the longevity to make it although he has had a damn good peak. 

Gonzalez will most likely end up between 40-45 WAR. Probably not enough to be considered. 

Lester definitely looked promising at one point and last year was a nice rebound for him. It really just depends on how he ages. He's still young so he is the most realistic out of this bunch. 

Dunn is the least likely to make it. A 123 wRC+ for a career and terrible defense isn't going to make for a good case. 

Soriano is a pretty underrated guy because he didn't live up to his contract. He'll end up with 45-50 WAR when it is all said and done. But he'll end up not making it most likely. 

Teixeira would have to return back to his 2007/2008 form and duplicate that for multiple seasons for him to have a chance.

That is clearly unlikely to happen though.

Teixeira is at 341 today (age 33)

He needs 159 to get to 500

If gets 26 homers a season the next six years he reaches 500.

Granted I understand his injury risk, but if he goes on and has a Jim Thome like surge then....

Who knows

Idk

I think Beltre is a lock. He could easily have 3000 hits by the time he's done.

but what if he doesn't?

The only reason I ask is that I don't see him (today) as havinf any of the magic automatic numbers.

To put it in perspective, how many felt he was a HOF'er 4 years ago? IE, pre boston and texas?

I think he's been a beast the last four years, but he wasn't in seattle.

And I like the guy a ton. He would have been the perfect fit for us.

WHy does he need 3,000 hits to be in the hall of fame. Chipper jones doesn't have 3000 hits or 500 homeruns, so I guess he wont be going in.

true, but chipper was an mvp candidate for a large part of his career. Beltre had one anomoly year, and a few recently where he he was a top 5 player (with a substantial gap between him and the mvp).

There's no way Beltre is a Hall of Famer, now.

He'd have to finish with some really good years to be considered IMO.

Dude was also part of the steroid era and from what I understand from people close to the situation, he was juicing like no other.

no clue if its accyrate or not chuck, but his 2004 is very suspicious.

To be fair, everyone was. And when multimillion dollar deals are on the table, its hard to judge.

Arod.   He will get in some day.   They are going to let all juicers in.   If Bonds and Clemens get in, Arod will get in.   It's just a matter of time.  As soon as all the fossils who vote that have the Bob Costas "Protect the game -- everything after 1968 sucks" mentality die, you will see those guys get in.

Veterans committees will put guys like Palmeiro and Sosa in.  

You already are seeing a trend of the more vocal journalists calling for the HOF to check itself.  Dan Le Batard giving his vote to Deadspin is another example of how these guys are trying to correct the process.  The HOF is not a shrine for saints. 

If they retired today, which active Major Leaguers do you believe would be elected to the Hall of Fame based on their career to date? (Besides Mike Trout, of course.)

I'll go Jeter, Ichiro, Pujols. Probably Halladay and Beltre. (Mariano Rivera isn't active any longer, but of course he's in, too.)

Who else?

Why Halladay?

Arod.   He will get in some day.   They are going to let all juicers in.   If Bonds and Clemens get in, Arod will get in.   It's just a matter of time.  As soon as all the fossils who vote that have the Bob Costas "Protect the game -- everything after 1968 sucks" mentality die, you will see those guys get in.

Veterans committees will put guys like Palmeiro and Sosa in.  

You already are seeing a trend of the more vocal journalists calling for the HOF to check itself.  Dan Le Batard giving his vote to Deadspin is another example of how these guys are trying to correct the process.  The HOF is not a shrine for saints. 

They are going to have to let the "juicers" in who haven't been suspended.  Clemens and Bonds will eventually get in.  AROD, will get in if he wins his lawsuit.  If not, than its up in the air.  Being suspended for juicing is worse than being accused of it.

Cabrera

Ortiz

Halladay

The recently-retired Mo

Thome, I think, gets in (probably not initially)

Pujols

Jeter

Ichiro (will be the first Japanese import to get inducted, which should be a big deal)

If they continue their current production for 2-3 more years:

Beltre

Tulo (IF he can stay on the field)

Verlander

Nathan

McCutcheon

Fielder

Kershaw

King Felix

Sabathia (only if he returns to pre-2013 performance)

Lee

Edited by Mark68