• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Been there, done that...........2012, 2013, 2014?

disarcina

I get this bad news coming feeling that our April/ May first five weeks of the 2014 season may resemble 2012 and 2013.

That's when the Halos dug themselves into such a hole that they spent the entire rest of the season trying to (unsuccessfully) dig out from it.

I just don't see anything the Halos have done so far this off-season that makes the 2014 performance any different that the prior two years.......and if our big 'splash' in the pitching department includes signing Mark Mulder to a minor league re-hab type contract, well, let's just say that does not exactly instill confidence.

Don't want to sound like a Failio (although I am doing a fairly decent job of doing so) but I just wonder, if the Halos do get off to another April/ May of playing .400 baseball......do you think Scioscia might get kicked upstairs and the new third base coach for 2014 (GARY DiSARCINA) will be named the new skipper?

I hope the Halos play well and get off to, if not a great start, then at least one there they're above .500 and that we have a very competitive team all season long.........but realistically, I think FSN probably has it pegged right -- they've been playing re-runs of the 2013 game telecasts.............

I can remember where I heard or maybe read this, but there was some indication that the team and leadership/coaches were going to try and create a greater sense of urgency this spring. 

The problem with the last couple of years as I see it is that the team (and particularly MS) uses the first month of the season for trial and error.  Trying to ease guys into a long season. 

But more than anything, the players have to be ready to perform. 

I am not sure how what we have done this offseason makes it more or less likely to start fast or slow, but I do thing there isn't currently enough talent on this team to make the playoffs.  It will require another starter at least.  A solid one.

I also hate relying on this, but the team is going to have to be a bit luckier.  They can't be bitten by the injury bug, they have to string hits together with RISP, and they have to get some solid performances from players who weren't so solid last year. 

This team, with a few additions, will be capable of playing meaningful baseball in september, but some good things need to happen to get beyond that. 

Since Dipoto took over reigns as GM there's been a huge turnover of players so this team has yet to define itself. I think this will be the season that sets the course for the future. They could come out shining or a complete rebuild will take place. Arte has a lot of irons in the fire with the stadium lease and parking lot development so it's all on Jerry and Mike to fix it or walk the plank.

Gary DiSarcina is in a good place right now because he won't get blamed for any failure but he will get part of the praise for any improvement. I think we will all know where this team is headed by July. Hopefully all the pieces fall into place. 

Since Dipoto took over reigns as GM there's been a huge turnover of players so this team has yet to define itself. I think this will be the season that sets the course for the future. They could come out shining or a complete rebuild will take place. Arte has a lot of irons in the fire with the stadium lease and parking lot development so it's all on Jerry and Mike to fix it or walk the plank.

Gary DiSarcina is in a good place right now because he won't get blamed for any failure but he will get part of the praise for any improvement. I think we will all know where this team is headed by July. Hopefully all the pieces fall into place. 

I hope it's obvious one way or the other by the deadline.  Being somewhere between the playoffs and not so good would only promote the team to try and continue along as is.  If they are gonna suck, I hope they really suck so they can move on and get as much talent back for guys like Aybar, Kendrick, Ianetta, Wilson etc. 

If they are gonna lose, best case would be them doing so with Hamilton having a monster year so we could move him. 

I feel slightly more optimistic going into this season. 

They absolutely still need another starter but this team looks like a good bet for 85 wins at the very least next year. With some luck added in, this team could be around 90 wins. 

if this team wins 85-90 games next year this place will burn down.

I get this bad news coming feeling that our April/ May first five weeks of the 2014 season may resemble 2012 and 2013.

That's when the Halos dug themselves into such a hole that they spent the entire rest of the season trying to (unsuccessfully) dig out from it.

I just don't see anything the Halos have done so far this off-season that makes the 2014 performance any different that the prior two years.......and if our big 'splash' in the pitching department includes signing Mark Mulder to a minor league re-hab type contract, well, let's just say that does not exactly instill confidence.

Don't want to sound like a Failio (although I am doing a fairly decent job of doing so) but I just wonder, if the Halos do get off to another April/ May of playing .400 baseball......do you think Scioscia might get kicked upstairs and the new third base coach for 2014 (GARY DiSARCINA) will be named the new skipper?

I hope the Halos play well and get off to, if not a great start, then at least one there they're above .500 and that we have a very competitive team all season long.........but realistically, I think FSN probably has it pegged right -- they've been playing re-runs of the 2013 game telecasts.............

I'm actually more optimistic heading into this season because moves like signing Mulder were our big splash moves. This team didn't "win the offseason" unlike last season and the season before. It didn't make one move to greatly improve the team but if they don't work out we are stuck with them. Instead the team made a series of smaller moves that should each improve the team a little. Baseball is a game of percentages, we have a bunch of possible solutions in the rotation. There is no certainty any of them will work out but there's a good likelihood that some will. We aren't paying any of them so much that we have to keep trying one who obviously isn't working out. Last year Hamilton obviously wasn't working out but we were wedded to him because we were playing him so much even though Calhoun may have been the better option. I feel like this season we are more flexible.

You are a failo with this post.  Our "big splash" in pitching was not signing Mulder, it was trading for two young starters with great potential upside.  Other than Tanaka there weren't any pitchers available that would qualify as a big splash.  I think Dipoto did pretty well this offseason as far as upgrading the pitching, much better than last offseason,  

However, I do agree with the obvious assessment that a good start is crucial.  No more Scioscia BS about it being a long season.

I think too much is being made about "easing into the season." The Athletics are known for starting slow and then catching fire and riding into the postseason - Billy Beane  has said he uses the first third or so to assess what the team has and thus needs. The problem isn't only that the Angels have been starting slowly, but that they aren't catching fire and remaining consistent for the bulk of the year.

So I'm OK if they start relatively slowly, but they have to build, not flounder.

I think too much is being made about "easing into the season." The Athletics are known for starting slow and then catching fire and riding into the postseason - Billy Beane has said he uses the first third or so to assess what the team has and thus needs. The problem isn't only that the Angels have been starting slowly, but that they aren't catching fire and remaining consistent for the bulk of the year.

So I'm OK if they start relatively slowly, but they have to build, not flounder.

Our problem is that we've been using the first 2/3 of the season to assess and then its too late.

I suppose you could put me in the failio bucket as well, although I think Scioscia has the full year to get this team to the playoffs.  Another slow start probably won't get him fired but missing the playoffs again will (or should).  So much depends on what still amounts to an average pitching staff.  The offense was decent last year and likely won't be any better this year.  All this hope and wishing won't turn Pujols into a masher.  Can Hamilton exorcise the LHP demons that plagued him last year?   Both these guys are aging, Pujols struggling with health issues.  We got Trout but we had him last year too.  Texas looks stronger, the Mariners are stronger and the A's look solid. 4th place battle with Houston?  Possible, especially if the team stumbles again out of the gate...while Scioscia tells everyone how many games they play in a season.

Last season, when the Angels entered the year with Hanson, Blanton and Williams in the rotation, I knew it would be bad, but I didn't think it'd be any worse than 2012 when Haren and Santana laid an egg and the Angels won something like 87 games.  I mostly thought it couldn't get any worse.  That's where I was wrong.  The pitching staff had become considerably worse, as had Trumbo.  Pujols was hurt and Hamilton did nothing to make fans forget the loss of Torii Hunter.  

This next season, I'm trying to see the team from a more balanced view.  It isn't a matter of the addition of certain players resulting in more wins, it's the idea of how these players will fit a scheme.  Shipping off Trumbo, Bourjos and Callaspo for Calhoun, Freese and Ibanez should aid the offense in hits w/RISP as well as overall OBP, so I feel they'll help give the team an offensive identity.  As far as pitching goes, simply enough, Richards, Santiago and Skaggs are going to need to be better than Hanson, Blanton and Williams were.  

I would say that's a foregone conclusion because they couldn't be any worse but I've made that mistake before.  I'm optimistic they'll be considerably better though.  And then there's the simple idea of luck.  I think the Angels played considerably worse than their pythagorean record was last season.  If it swings back the other way the Angels could be in the mid-90's in wins.  If it's neutral I think high 80's to low-90's is more likely.