• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Carson Gets Fresh Start With Angels

Chuck

LOS ANGELES— The Angels were loading up the trucks on the final day of spring training in Arizona late last March when general manager Jerry Dipoto made what seemed more like a housekeeping move than a trade.

robert-carson-2013-tdr-300x211.jpg

Robert Carson (Photo by Tomasso DeRosa)

In an exchange of fringe prospects who weren’t going anywhere with their teams, Dipoto acquired Dane De La Rosa, a 6-foot-7 righthander who made all of 12 big league appearances in nine seasons, from the Rays for Steven Geltz, a 5-foot-9 righthander who appeared in two big league games for the Angels in five years.

Five months later, after finding command of a fastball that hit 97 mph and a big over-hand breaking ball, De La Rosa was the primary set-up man for closer Ernesto Frieri.

Could Robert Carson, signed to a minor league contract in October after seven undistinguished years in the Mets organization, be the next De La Rosa? That would be a tall task, but in the 6-foot-4, 240-pound lefthander, the Angels believe they have some good raw materials to work with.

“He has a live arm—not many throw as hard as he does,” farm director Bobby Scales said. “His makeup is fantastic. He’s a hard worker. He’s had a tough time throwing strikes, but he’s excited to have an opportunity in another uniform. Sometimes with a change of scenery, all of a sudden they’re different.”

Carson, 24, has a mid-90s fastball he delivers with minimal effort and a slider that at times has been an effective pitch, with tight rotation and some tilt. His two biggest problems have been a fastball that tends to flatten out, making it very hittable, and a lack of overall command.

More

I like De la Rosa, and clearly that trade has worked out to our benefit thus far.

But I don't understand why the Angels gave up on Geltz and why the Rays haven't given him an opportunity yet.  He has succeeded at every level in the minors and has excellent peripherals.  I guess perhaps he is homer prone and maybe he will get more exposed at the big league level, but I just don't get why he hasn't been given a chance.   

Carson is one of those guys that has made scouts do a double take for years. This isn't the first time a team has inquired about him with the intention of trying something new with his mechanics. Big lefties with mid-90's heat aren't exactly common.

The problem has always been two-fold. First, he has trouble getting the ball over the plate and when he attempts to make adjustments, he slows down his arm and mechanics in attempt to aim the ball but really it takes away his slider, making his fastball more hittable by deduction and it also puts him at greater risk of injury because he's using mechanics and arm speed that aren't authentic to him.

The Angels clearly have it in mind that they'll allow him to resume throwing hard but see a small mechanical "twitch" that they can correct without making things worse for Carson. It's worth a shot, the Mets couldn't crack that nut so maybe the Angels coaches can. I just wouldn't expect his transition to be immediate. Even with DDLR his adjustments took a month or two, and that's being optimistic.

Realistically, I see him as more of a second half reliever, who once he irons some things out can help. I like the Angeks acquiring him though. He was quite sought after.