• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Hilarious!

Chuck

Oh man....

That's a pretty delusional (i.e: crazy) assumption. I hope you don't do any actual betting.

I do plenty of betting and fare pretty well. 

If I knew you well I'd put money on the table that he'd walk away from the contract if he couldn't perform to a level that is productive from the 1B or DH position. 

So he sucked in 2012? His totals before surgery sucked for playing on one leg? Geeebus

His injury is a direct byproduct of being old and having a ton of miles on his feet. It is the furthest thing from an excuse.

He was alright in 2012 - certainly nowhere near what his contract says he should be doing.

I do plenty of betting and fare pretty well. 

If I knew you well I'd put money on the table that he'd walk away from the contract if he couldn't perform to a level that is productive from the 1B or DH position. 

pujols version of productive will likely differ from yours.  he'll probably think a .250 avg with 650 ops is good enough for 33 million a year.  no way he walks from that much money.

His injury is a direct byproduct of being old and having a ton of miles on his feet. It is the furthest thing from an excuse.

He was alright in 2012 - certainly nowhere near what his contract says he should be doing.

So you're saying that after corrective surgery he's going to put up the same numbers he did in 2013?

I remember that dreadful day. Found my old post and was happy to see I was anti-Blanton.

At least you didn't author the article that explained why the Blanton signing was a positive, Agalloch. Scott pass me the exacto knife please.

He didn't have surgery.

He'll probably put up better number in '14 because his '13 was really bad, but it doesn't disprove that his health is certainly declining.

A horrible contract.

You obviously would slit your wrist if we signed him to a 10 year deal and die in bliss. Now you're recanting? 

Yes, he didn't have surgery (I forgot, he rested it and is 100%) but based on what he put up numbers wise, playing on one foot, it's pretty damn amazing. 

I think if healthy we'll see a season that bests 2012, which will be great. 

You obviously would slit your wrist if we signed him to a 10 year deal and die in bliss. Now you're recanting? 

Yes, he didn't have surgery (I forgot, he rested it and is 100%) but based on what he put up numbers wise, playing on one foot, it's pretty damn amazing. 

I think if healthy we'll see a season that bests 2012, which will be great. 

It's called hyperbole..

That is wishful thinking.  He's 2 years older and every part of his game is slowly declining.

Edited by Scott34

It's called hyperbole..

That is wishful thinking.  He's 2 years older and every part of his game is slowly declining.

But you and everyone else knew this two years ago and were perfectly fine with it, filled with joy that the Baseball gods bestowed upon all Angels fans.  

It's not hyperbole, it's called bullshit. You are trying to look good after the fact. 

I can see Pujols putting up Edgar Martinez type numbers for the same age.

The Pujols contract is the worst in MLB. It is what it is. I was happy that they signed him, noting the contract sucked(that was obvious though), but I was expecting more top tier production in the early portion of his deal. This year will be a big one IMO. If Albert is hampered again by some other injury or he doesn't have a good season, then this deal will have quickly turned into a disaster. He's not going to get better as he gets older, so the fact that he's not putting up good numbers in the early portion of this deal is frightening. I was hoping they'd get .900+ OPS for the first 3-4 years of the deal, then hopefully a season or 2 of what he did in Year 1(.850 OPS) before he just bottomed out as an average DH. It's not looking good so far

Year 1 he dealt with some knee problems and had surgery in the offseason

Year 2 he dealt with plantar fasciitis all year

The thing that has stood out beyond his lower body breaking down is his plate discipline deteriorating. Usually that's a skill that tends to age well but Pujols walks are down and K's are up

But you and everyone else knew this two years ago and were perfectly fine with it, filled with joy that the Baseball gods bestowed upon all Angels fans.  

I smell BS. 

But that's only because we all hoped that 2011 was an aberration and that he would return to at least 2010 form. Then we hoped that 2012 was an aberration and would return to 2011 form. Now we hope that 2013 was an aberration and he'll return to 2012 form.

The Pujols contract is the worst in MLB. It is what it is. I was happy that they signed him, noting the contract sucked(that was obvious though), but I was expecting more top tier production in the early portion of his deal. This year will be a big one IMO. If Albert is hampered again by some other injury or he doesn't have a good season, then this deal will have quickly turned into a disaster. He's not going to get better as he gets older, so the fact that he's not putting up good numbers in the early portion of this deal is frightening. I was hoping they'd get .900+ OPS for the first 3-4 years of the deal, then hopefully a season or 2 of what he did in Year 1(.850 OPS) before he just bottomed out as an average DH. It's not looking good so far

Year 1 he dealt with some knee problems and had surgery in the offseason

Year 2 he dealt with plantar fasciitis all year

The thing that has stood out beyond his lower body breaking down is his plate discipline deteriorating. Usually that's a skill that tends to age well but Pujols walks are down and K's are up

Good post and I agree, except that his plate discipline rebounded a bit in 2013 from 7.8% BB rate to 9.0%.

Hopefully Pujols follows in Ortiz path

Ortiz inexplicably fell off during his age 32-33 seasons. Injuries played a role in that. He then has gotten new life and has been pretty damn good since then. No reason why Pujols can't do the same, considering he's always been a better player than Ortiz

I'm going to take a middle ground here. I agree with Scott that the contract sucks and with Chuck that he'll rebound somewhat and have his best season yet as an Angel, probably something like 2011: .290+/.900+ with around 35 HR.

I can see it. I wouldn't put money on it but as a fan I'm hopeful that this is the case. This is a big year for both Pujols and the Angels. Year 1 we could say he started slow because he was on a new team and in a new league. He was then typical Pujols from Mid May - end of season. Year 2 he was hampered all year by PF so it was a wasted season. Year 3....no more excuses. I definitely have more faith in Pujols putting in a good season than I do Hamilton, I know that much.

Hopefully Pujols follows in Ortiz path

Ortiz inexplicably fell off during his age 32-33 seasons. Injuries played a role in that. He then has gotten new life and has been pretty damn good since then. No reason why Pujols can't do the same, considering he's always been a better player than Ortiz

Hitting tends to age well, it's health that doesn't. If he's healthy I wouldn't put it past him having a great season at age 40. That said his health is becoming a serious question mark. I think he is bound to have a couple more healthy seasons in him though.

Edited by AngelsLakersFan