• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 'TANAKA' Thread

Ohtaniland

Don't get caught up in this whole "in" and "out" business. There isn't some board in Jerry Dipoto's office with players names and signs under them that he flips from "in" to "out."

The Angels position has not changed.

They like Tanaka. They would love to have him. It's not likely to happen because they aren't going to be the highest bidder. Period.

Quit ruining my fun.  ;)

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 1m

Angels continue to insist privately that they are not seriously involved to other teams in the Masahiro Tanaka negotiations.

Of course Moreno isn't going to let other clubs know they're involved. I think they are though. By letting the media know that they've had discussions with Garza, and being so tight lipped on Tanaka tells me that they're going after him.

Don't get caught up in this whole "in" and "out" business. There isn't some board in Jerry Dipoto's office with players names and signs under them that he flips from "in" to "out."

The Angels position has not changed.

They like Tanaka. They would love to have him. It's not likely to happen because they aren't going to be the highest bidder. Period.

100% agreed.

Most people, regardless of whether they are a nurse or a baseball player, don't base an employment decision entirely upon money.  I have no doubt that Tanaka wants to win, wants to be closer to home, potentially has weather/league preferences, etc.  If the Angels are competitive with a team like the Cubs, then they probably have the edge.

But that all goes out the window if the other offer is absurdly better.  If the Angels are offering 6/110 and the Cubs 6/125, perhaps he takes the Angels' offer.  But if the Cubs are offering 6/150, you can't really blame the guy if he opts for the much larger deal. 

Are you referring to him not returning to the Angels?

If so, that's a bad example. He went to the contending team right next door.

He's referring to Grienke making it very known he was going to the team that offered him the most money. At one point I think he even said he'd go to the worst team in baseball if it meant the most money.

I don't like the Dodgers, not even a little bit, but I understand that not everyone feels that way. So if I was a free agent last fall and the Dodgers came to me and offered not only the most money, but they also convey to me they are building and buying a winner, then yea I would sign with them. There has to be a ton of excitement to play for that team right now.

Zack Greinke says hi

Ok smart guy, tell us the exact details of Greinke's other offers.  What, if anything, did the Angels offer him?  What were other teams offering?

And you do understand that what I said does not apply to *every* athlete, right?  Some will simply take the most money, though my guess is that for the vast majority, money is not the sole consideration.

Edited by wopphil

Ok smart guy, tell us the exact details of Greinke's other offers. What, if anything, did the Angels offer him? What were other teams offering?

And you do understand that what I said does not apply to *every* athlete, right? Some will simply take the most money, though my guess is that for the vast majority, money is not the sole consideration.

If the difference is more than $10 million in the same year span (including taxes) 75% of players take the money. I would.

Grienke was explicit he was taking the highest offer. This is the easiest example is recent professional sports history.

@JesseSanchezMLB: Source tells me clubs have not heard back from Tanaka & nobody knows where they stand. Most had about 60 mins to make a case. No visits.

@JballAllen: Masahiro Tanaka has yet to narrow down his choices, says a member of his support staff.

Lol pretty funny to hear there's a new favorite every day when teams don't even know where they stand with him.

I don't blame him. He's been able to negotiate for less than three weeks, and this has got to be a very tough decision. The money is there no matter where he goes, he is probably weighing his balance between money and where to live. This isn't some MLB guy that has been to every major league city. This is a guy that lives on the other side of the world making a life altering decision. Blame his previous employer and MLB for taking forever to make the posting rules decision.

Honestly, the fact that Dipoto and Moreno have been so discreet about this whole Tanaka thing actually makes me believe we're going after him really strong in the background. I mean everybody's mentioned our teams name in the lists, but it's like Dipoto and Moreno are deliberately shutting all Tanaka rumors down on purpose. If they did feel like they weren't going after him, they'd probably say the same old stuff ''we're weighing our options and definitely will consider whatever can help this team become better.'' But instead they won't even mention his name in interviews and try their best to mention other guys like Garza instead.

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

Well Arte has a way of letting us know when they offered a contract after the fact. So in the May version of the Arte Speaks thread, if we don't sign Tanaka, Arte will say something along the lines of, "Well when you offer someone that has never pitched in the big leagues $130 million and that isn't enough, well what else can you do".

I'm sorry, but Tanaka is ruining the offseason.  I wish this punk would just sign with somebody (except the Dodgers).

Yeah, I just hope he doesn't sign with the Dodgers or Mariners.

The Cubs would be nice. Out of the AL and would give them a good starter to go along with an awesome mascot.

No doubt HoA. This place before this was a ghost town, minus the Trumbo trade. I even started a thread about how quiet it was. This place will go crazy if he signs with us. We will get to dust off our "Off Season Championship" trophy, it will be glorious.

Yeah ignoring that 2-3 day high where we pulled off that miraculous Trumbo/Skaggs/Santiago trade..this place had been dead since October. 27 pages about a single player and that was only after we had to make this thread for all the countless Tanaka threads that were made every day flooding the first page. 

Hopefully we do get to dust off that trophy, I could see this one working out better than the last two.