• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 'TANAKA' Thread

Ohtaniland

I have a hard time believing they haven't met with him in any form.

All these conflicting reports with Tanaka are just crazy. I'm ready for him to sign with someone, whether that be the Angels or not.

Just because they haven't met with Tanaka personally doesn't mean they have been talking with his agent.

“We did not meet with Tanaka,” said Dipoto, who was at a function in Iowa during the time Tanaka was in Los Angeles. “We were not scheduled to meet with him.”

Asked what, if anything, could be inferred from this, Dipoto said, “Nothing more than that. I’m not going to walk through any details. I’m not going to say we’re in or out. I’m not going to comment one way or another.”

“We did not meet with Tanaka,” said Dipoto, who was at a function in Iowa during the time Tanaka was in Los Angeles. “We were not scheduled to meet with him.”

Asked what, if anything, could be inferred from this, Dipoto said, “Nothing more than that. I’m not going to walk through any details. I’m not going to say we’re in or out. I’m not going to comment one way or another.”

I have no idea what to make of this.

Yankees will outbid everybody. The only reason Tanaka doesn't sign with the Yankees IMO would be he wants to play on the West Coast.

Rumor is Kershaw turned down a "lifetime" (10 or 12 year) contract for $300,000,000 during the season last year. One would think they revisit a long term deal near his arb hearing.

If he doesn't sign with the Dodgers money is not the biggest factor where he ends up. I bet he lands with the Rangers if he doesn't sign with the Dodgers.

I wonder if we've had conversations with his agent all along.  Did Arte throw an offer on the table already so no need to talk with him while he was in town?  Something seems very strange about Dipoto's response.

Good.  Tanaka is going to cost too much anyway.

Yeah, but not even meeting with him?  What if he is a weirdo and goes to a team based on whether he gets a good pitch from a GM?  When a team like the Angels needs a pitcher, and there is a potentially good free agent pitcher, you got to at least try to convince him to come on over.  If he says no, fine, but what if by some miracle he said yes?

Ahhh...the armchair small-market GMs have determined that:

A) Tanaka will be too expensive; and

2) Tanaka will not be worth whatever contract he gets.

These arguments will hold true for (Insert free agent pitcher name here).

It's not the point. The point is, which pitcher could have the most possible upside?

I just can't imagine they'd have a shot at him without a meeting.  My guess is that they got a number and that number was a lot higher than they'd be willing to go.  It also makes me wonder how important location really is to Tanaka if he's not intending on visiting any of the particular clubs.  Feels like it's gonna come down to money.  Outside chance the halos are in stealth mode again and ready to swoop in out of nowhere. 

Has anyone actually heard a single contract rumor for him other than he wants $17 million a year? We sure are doing a lot of speculating on here. Which I admit is fun, but it also leads to a lot of crazy talk.

Here is what Jeff Fletcher had to say about it...

Apparently Tanaka's agent said he didn't want anything leaked. Usually it's the agents that leak the offers, not the teams, so if the agent doesn't want it out, it's not getting out.

My guess is at this point 90 percent of the work has been done in terms of Tanaka getting across what he wants and teams saying what they are willing to pay. So at this point it's just Tanaka deciding or going back for a last little sweetener to get him to one team or the other.