• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 'TANAKA' Thread

Ohtaniland

The Dodgers did say they would offer Kershaw an extension this offseason. Maybe he turned it down which now has the Dodgers looking for a cheaper option to lock up someone for 5 years. Or it could be a bluff to get Clayton and his agent to rethink the offer and take it. That could be the reason why the Dodgers went public saying they wouldn't be outbid for Tanaka.

Except they didn't say they wouldn't be outbid, the reporter that stated that backtracked a hour later. The Doyers have said they won't spend wildly on Tanaka.

It depends on the type of player Tanaka is as to him choosing NY or LA.  Obviously playing in the media circus of NY would appeal to some while others may want to steer clear.  The two teams that need him appear to be the Angels and Yankees, whereas the Dodgers could live without him.

My speculation-two horse race between the Angels and the Yankees.  The Yankees (under King George)  have historically proven that they have no bad contracts and are able and willing to live with their decisions.  Past bonehead moves does not appear to affect the Yankee way.  My guess is that it will take more money than NY's offer to make Tanaka change his current preference.  I would argue that a matching offer or similar offer by the Angels would not be enough.

Hope Plan B is being prepared.

All things considered, the Angels have to be a distant third most likely if this report is true. We don't have the money that the Dodgers or Yankees have. We don't have the room under the tax that the Yankees have. We are the one team of the group Tanaka has probably never heard of. We aren't the only team on the west coast, or even in LA. We don't have a Japanese player. While we probably do need more him than the Dodgers do, I don't think we need him quite as much as the Yankees.

Edited by AngelsLakersFan

He'll be an Angel

Print/stitch the jerseys. Hang them in the team store. Get ready for the Asian population to grow at the stadium the day he pitches and hope the lights from all the cameras don't blind you.

I'll be going to less games if that happens. It was bad enough when Ichiro came to town with the pushy asians standing up and running down the stairs every time Ichiro squat stretched.

All things considered, the Angels have to be a distant third most likely if this report is true. We don't have the money that the Dodgers or Yankees have. We don't have the room under the tax that the Yankees have. We are the one team of the group Tanaka has probably never heard of. We aren't the only team on the west coast, or even in LA. We don't have a Japanese player. While we probably do need more him than the Dodgers do, I don't think we need him quite as much as the Yankees.

There are so many horrible assumtions in this post, it should be used as an example for all future posters on what not to do.

He'll be an Angel

Print/stitch the jerseys. Hang them in the team store. Get ready for the Asian population to grow at the stadium the day he pitches and hope the lights from all the cameras don't blind you.

Only if you think we offer him a bigger contract than what the Yankees/Dodgers offer him (which would be INSANE considering neither teams care about going over the luxury tax). How did you come to this conclusion? He's not going to take a pay-cut from what NYY/LAD offers him to play for our team.

What this tells me is that Tanaka would like to play for the Angels but it's going to require Arte to pony up. Why would he even consider the Angels if they weren't on his serious list of desired locations.  

From Bob Elliot of the Toronto Sun

Elliott's source also outlined what Tanaka will be seeking from potential suitors. "Tanaka wants to go to a World Series, wants a city where his family will feel at home since they don’t speak English. He has a desire to be on a team with potential to win and loves the pressure."

Elliott's source also outlined what Tanaka will be seeking from potential suitors. "Tanaka wants to go to a World Series, wants a city where his family will feel at home since they don’t speak English. He has a desire to be on a team with potential to win and loves the pressure."

Well from that report, I think he goes to LAD or LAA. Except I don't think that report will mean much when the Yankees out-bid both teams for him..unless he's REALLY willing to go play for a team where his family will feel at home (they won't feel at home in New York).

Dodgers are in the mix, but hard to see the Halos stepping up and outbidding the Yanks or the Dodgers

Well, I agree that if both teams decide they have to have Tanaka then we will get outbid. But to disregard the Angels ability to sign a big name free agent is silly. As of next year the Angels have the second highest TV contract and Arte has shown that he is willing to spend money. Hell, in my opinion that is what he does best, not necessarily in the best way, but it certainly shows his commitment to winning.

At this point the Dodgers have the best chance to get to the World Series. And it's not even close.

Kershaw

Greinke

Ryu

Tanaka

And a bunch of other #5's

Well, I agree that if both teams decide they have to have Tanaka then we will get outbid. But to disregard the Angels ability to sign a big name free agent is silly. As of next year the Angels have the second highest TV contract and Arte has shown that he is willing to spend money. Hell, in my opinion that is what he does best, not necessarily in the best way, but it certainly shows his commitment to winning.

It's funny how we're saying that now, but 3 years ago Moreno was stingy with his money and wouldn't sign anybody worth the while (Beltre anyone?).