• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2014 AL West Standings - quick guess

Angelsjunky

Seattle won 71 games last year. How are they more than 10 wins better next year?

How was Boston 28 more wins than 2012? WAR has to be the most useless stat in baseball. It's basically a shortcut to nowhere.

make Love not WAR

All kidding aside ... I would like to hear your explanation on Boston's 28 win improvement. Inside Pitch is welcome to chirp in too.

I didn't think you could explain it ... sports is not a science.

Edited by Troll Daddy

How was Boston 28 more wins than 2012? WAR has to be the most useless stat in baseball. It's basically a shortcut to nowhere.

make Love not WAR

All kidding aside ... I would like to hear your explanation on Boston's 28 win improvement. Inside Pitch is welcome to chirp in too.

I didn't think you could explain it ... sports is not a science.

Boston sold off their entire team in 2012 and were terrible in the 2nd half. They aren't a good example to use. Ellsbury was also hurt that year. In the offseason, they brought in guys like Napoli, Gomes, Drew, Victorino and Uehara who were integral parts of their team. Most people thought they were at least going to compete in that division. 

The Mariners have far more flaws than the 2013 Boston team did. Their rotation is good up front but is dependent on Walker, Paxton and Ramirez doing well. Kind of like our situation where we are depending on 3 young guys to do well, which is why another starter should be signed. They still have a below average offense even with adding Cano. A best case scenario season for the Mariners is winning 85 games IMO. 

Stop talking about other team's prospects.

No one thought Trout was going to be the best player in baseball after his poor debut. 

Their offense was essentially average last year with half the players on the team having "down seasons" and it would be nearly impossible for them not to exceed a 100 wrc+ in 2014.

They may not equal their 2011 production but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.   

It's difficult to not talk about other teams prospects on a baseball message board, but for civilities sake I'll give it a go. 

Even after Trout's less than stellar debut, if you had read this board, you would have seen that there were plenty of posters clamoring for his return. Did they think at the time he would be the best player in baseball, maybe not? They did believe however that he was something special. 

Since the explosive year the Rangers had in 2011 where most aspects of their offense went very well for them, they've been in a steady decline while losing 6 of their 9 starting players, and Napoli. Not only would the prospect have to have a break out season, you would also have to see the new phenom players you signed this year play at or above their norms while dragging the rest of the lineup with them in order to match the 2011 output. That's a lot of if’s, maybe’s and OMG I think we can’s.

I can see why you as a fan would be hopeful; we were hopeful about Blanton last year. However, if you were to put it in the form of a wager; I wouldn’t bet anything of any significance on it. Like I said, good luck.

And then there’s always Washington and the choke factor to contend with

Your first mistake is comparing Blanton to Fielder and Choo. Blanton has never been good so there was no reason for anyone here to be hopeful about him.

Secondly, "may surpass" are the operative words. A lot of things would have to go right for them to reach a collective 112 wrc+ but it's within the realm of possibility. Their offense last year was about as bad as it could get with that collection of players yet they were around league average. When you consider that Fielder and Choo are considerable upgrades over Moreland and Cruz then it's reasonable to assume their offense will be above average.  

• 1 year later...