• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angel Super Scapegoat Award (ASS)

Angelsjunky

I won't to introduce a new award: the Angel Super Scapegoat. This is essentially the most hated Angel in a given year, but he's the Angel you love to hate - the guy that Angel Oracle freaks out about most, that people create pet names for, and who is the main reason that the Angels suck. So here are my nominations - feel free to disagree:

2013 - Joe Blanton

honorable mention - Josh Hamilton, Vernon Wells (salary)

2012 - Vernon Wells

honorable mention - Ervin Santana

2011 - Vernon Wells

honorable mentions - Jeff Mathis, Bobby Abreu, Fernando Rodney

2010 - Scott Kazmir

honorable mentions - Jeff Mathis, Brandon Wood, Gary Matthews (salary)

2009 - Jeff Mathis

honorable mentions - Gary Matthews Jr, Ervin Santana, Robb Quinlan, Brian Fuentes

2008 - Jeff Mathis

honorable mentions - Gary Matthews Jr, Robb Quinlan, Brandon Wood

2007 - Gary Matthews Jr

honorable mentions - Shea Hillenbrand, Jeff Mathis, Robb Quinlan, Ervin Santana, Bartolo Colon

2006 - Jeff Weaver

honorable mention - JC Romero, Bartolo Colon

2005 - Steve Finley

Going back beyond this and it gets too hazy.

So let's say every player gets 3 points for an ASS award, and then 1 point for an honorable mention. That gives an all-time leaderboard like so (with awards in parentheses):

9 Jeff Mathis

7 Vernon Wells

6 Gary Matthews Jr

3 Joe Blanton

3 Ervin Santana

3 Robb Quinlan

3 Jeff Weaver

3 Steve Finley

2 Brandon Wood

2 Bartolo Colon

1 Brian Fuentes

1 Shea Hillenbrand

1 JC Romero

1 Josh Hamilton

1 Bobby Abreu

1 Fernando Rodney

Wells will definitely be an honorable mention next year, which will bring his total to 8 - still shy of Jeff Mathis, who gets the all-time ASS award.

What do you think? Did I get them right?

The big question is who will next challenge Wells, Mathis and Matthews as the biggest ASSes of recent Angels history. Part of me feels sad about the thought of no one stepping up, but given Angels history I'm sure someone will manage.

Edited by Angelsjunky

I agree with most of them, but Kazmir deserved the "award" by himself in 2010. Wood wasn't a starter. He "only" played in 81 games and had only 226 mostly sporadic ab's. 

You know I originally had Kazmir alone, but then I remembered just how bad Brandon was that year. I suppose he was less of an ASS and more of a most pathetic player.

Also, according to clutchness (something people here actually take serious, along with our GM), Trout would be the biggest scapegoat of 2013 considering he was the LEAST clutch player in the AL in 2013, and the 2nd least clutch player in the MLB. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=3&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=12,a

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

Wells won last year too. Napoli wins a title and we pay Wells to suck in New York.

Wells will win again this ear in a land slide barring an Albert Pujols or Josh Hamilton injury.

I've got to give it to Blanton - he was, by far, the most derided Angel in 2013. The award is, in the end, more about gut feeling than statistical analysis.

Also, according to clutchness (something people here actually take serious, along with our GM), Trout would be the biggest scapegoat of 2013 considering he was the LEAST clutch player in the AL in 2013, and the 2nd least clutch player in the MLB.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=3&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=12,a

You should be permanently banned from all electronic devices for such a heretical statement.

Also, according to clutchness (something people here actually take serious, along with our GM), Trout would be the biggest scapegoat of 2013 considering he was the LEAST clutch player in the AL in 2013, and the 2nd least clutch player in the MLB.

I think this has been covered in multiple other threads.

In other news, Scioscia is fat, Vernon worthless, Pujols expensive, Mathis sucks, Napoli is part-time, Lackey doubles as Sarah Jessica Parker, Tony traded the farm away, we need pitching, and Hamilton picked the wrong time to go on a juice diet.

Do note, I don't say this as a personal attack. Just seeing the same thing again gets under my skin sometimes.

Edited by Ordos

I think this has been covered in multiple other threads.

In other news, Scioscia is fat, Vernon worthless, Pujols expensive, Mathis sucks, Napoli is part-time, Lackey doubles as Sarah Jessica Parker, Tony traded the farm away, we need pitching, and Hamilton picked the wrong time to go on a juice diet.

I know, and I/AZMike will continue posting it as long as people on here (and Dipoto) keep bringing up clutchness.

Scapegoat is in the eye of the fan and his opinion, which is emotive, not backed up by stats.  So really, it comes down to who always seems to let the team down when they need it or who's getting overpaid.

I'm gonna go with Raul Ibanez.  I think that guy isn't an everyday major leaguer anymore, let alone a DH that makes any difference.  He isn't being overpaid but if anyone is expecting him to hit .250 or 30 HR's, get ready for disappointment.  Scioscia absolutely loves his veterans and this guy is gonna go up there and straight hack for four and a half months before they replace him with J.B. Schuck/Grant Green/C.J. Cron.