• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Tanaka not going to MLB

19HALO71

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/japanese-pitcher-masahiro-tanaka-not-joining-major-league-baseball-121913

"Days after expressing his interest in joining Major League Baseball, it appears Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka will stay in Japan, according to multiple reports."

Get on Garza!!

Edited by 19HALO71

I'm curious how long ago this decision to limit the "posting fee" (or "transfer fee" or whatever they are calling it now) was put into motion. It seems like the decision to make the change started sometime around the All-Star break.

The reason I say this is that if they were going to institute a significant change like this they really should have agreed upon it last off-season so that every Japanese team would know ahead of time that the change was coming and could act appropriately.

Honestly they should have implemented the new decision starting next off-season. Rakuten seemed to be caught off guard by the rule change.

I could be totally wrong about this, they may have been discussing this for years for all I know but the change seemed to happen quickly.

Think about it from his teams perspective. With their posting collection now limited to $20 million regardless, they can wait a year and post him next year and get the same money then. They have his rights through 2015 from what I read. In the mean time, they can go after another title with him. This new posting system seems like it will prevent players from coming over until the year before they would be unrestricted.

While this goes on we should creep up and grab us some Garza. This indecisive team is getting me worried. I have a hunch that we're going to end up waiting for his post, his.not going to get posted, someone throws huge numbers at Garza, and the rest, and we get stuck with a vet and then blame Jerry. That's my hunch.

Hypothetical honest question. Could he just defect over here? If I were him I'd be pissed that my country was keeping me from making 100+ million. Why not come over here the same way Cubans do? 

Country?  He's under contractual obligation that the MLB recognizes from another league.  Unless they find a loophole like Nomo did, which I think have all been sealed up, if the team doesn't want to post him, they won't.

If Trout came out and said, I want to play for the Yankees.  Think the Angels will just say, ok, go ahead?

Hey! Don't get mad! There is a rule here in which every other Japanese pitchers had followed.

The rule is in order to jump ship from NPB to MLB,you have to play at least 9 years in the NPB,I think this is only Tanaka's 6th or 7th year in the NPB,so Rakuten has every rights to keep him for 2-3 more years.

There is not much Tanaka can do,a rule is a rule.

Most MLB players who sign out of high school are kept for at least 9 years in MLB. Most longer. Think about it this way, in 2006 the Angels drafted Conger. He still has four more seasons of club control. He won't be a true free agent until after 2017, which will be 12 seasons after the Angels drafted him.