• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Security breach involving nearly every Target store in the U.S.

Account information of millions of credit/debit cards stolen, affecting nearly every Target store in America (there are 1,797 of them). It happened over the Thanksgiving weekend and it took awhile for the company to realize it.

The Secret Service is investigating. 

Check those account statements, etc. to make sure no unauthorized charges were made on your cards.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/12/19/us-target-breach-idINBRE9BH1GX20131219

At least 40 million cardholders may have been affected by this massive breach. Shoppers at almost every Target store in the country between November 29th and December 15th are at risk.

I used my debit card there on December 10th, but did the transaction as "credit" so I didn't have to enter my PIN. I think I'll change my PIN now, just to be safe. 

I'm using cash from now on when I shop at Target.

Target will not say whether PIN numbers were compromised on debit or credit cards. All they are saying is their systems are secure going forward. That doesn't make me feel better.

I'm going to my bank today and asking for a new debit card and PIN. This is starting to worry me. They could empty my checking account if they have my PIN.

Wife and I have shopped at Target a lot since the breach.  I will keep a close eye on our cards.

Best when using a debit card is to run it as a "Credit" transaction and not enter your PIN. You will simply have to sign for it. If a store doesn't let me do that, I refuse to complete the transaction.

If they get your PIN and the rest of the data on the card, they can empty your checking account and then you've got real trouble. 

I changed my PIN on my debit card, just to be safe. It was easy to do, right at the ATM.

My bank assured me my funds would be restored if the thieves somehow emptied my checking account.

Target stock is down only 2%. That's  a surprise. 

That's because the thieves that stole all the CC information bought a bunch of stock using your card.   :P

Debit card users are protected only if they promptly notify their bank of the loss. I'm checking my account daily, and never using a debit card again, anywhere.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-target-breach-consumers-20131219,0,6615816.story#axzz2nwBfhZ8V

I apologize if this article is behind a subscription firewall. 

LOL, I got a call from my bank today about 5 charges from Minnesota and Florida (I live in So. Cal-and I have been to Target rcently).  4 of the charges were declined because I am so frickin' poor that I didn't have enough to cover the attempt.  The only one to go through was a $1 dollar charge, that the bank told me thieves often do to see if the number works, and will do a larger attempt later.  For once it pays to be a poor money manager...

I get alerts when purchases are over a certain dollar amount. Helped a couple years ago when somehow someone got my number, and charged $300 at a Fry's in Ohio. 

Yep - same here.

I get email and txt for transactions on every account.

Never caught anything suspicious (knock on wood, I'm a security guy so I know what to avoid) but I know others who have found shady stuff that way.

Highly recommended.