• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

$400 million???

Thomas

I don't want to be in the Angels shoes. I'd have to imagine if Trout is about the money, then he wants two huge contracts and signing one huge one in the next year or two hampers that. We will see how Cano plays out, but I don't think we see many big or long contracts for guys in their early 30's. But who knows, it only takes one owner to jump at the marketing/attendance revenue.

Trout will realize that some team would pay him huge money at age 31/32 (Pujols' age for new deal).

I would offer him 8 years/$200 million after 2014 (buying out 3 arb years and 5 FA years), and raise him to $3-5 million for 2014.

No more stinkin 5% raises!!!!!!!

Edited by Angel Oracle

$360-400 million is the only way he stays and doesn't try to get another contract at age 31. He'd be 35 when the $400 Million proposed contract is done. 

It's probably in the Angels best interest to sign him for a 8 year contract this offseason, but that means they'd likely be paying the luxury tax.

Seeing what Robinson Cano and Albert Pujols have received in their age 31 seasons, you have to think that the Angels should be prepared for that kind of AAV. It's right around $24 Million for both players. 

Trout is likely closer to a 30 million dollar player, except, the arbitration seasons will tamper that a bit, even if he were to set records. Plus he has one club control year left where the Angels can pay him $500k. 

If he wants to be a free agent again at age 29-31, then it's in the Angels best interest to give him a Jacoby Ellsbury type deal right now. Ellsbury signed for just under $22 M AAV over 7 years. Pay Trout 24 AAV, and you maybe could get something done this offseason.

$168 M / 7 guaranteed. With standard escalators for MVP's, All-Star, WS MVP, etc. It virtually guarantees the CBT in year one but in year two they may be able to avoid it. 

$360-400 million is the only way he stays and doesn't try to get another contract at age 31. He'd be 35 when the $400 Million proposed contract is done. 

It's probably in the Angels best interest to sign him for a 8 year contract this offseason, but that means they'd likely be paying the luxury tax.

Seeing what Robinson Cano and Albert Pujols have received in their age 31 seasons, you have to think that the Angels should be prepared for that kind of AAV. It's right around $24 Million for both players. 

Trout is likely closer to a 30 million dollar player, except, the arbitration seasons will tamper that a bit, even if he were to set records. Plus he has one club control year left where the Angels can pay him $500k. 

If he wants to be a free agent again at age 29-31, then it's in the Angels best interest to give him a Jacoby Ellsbury type deal right now. Ellsbury signed for just under $22 M AAV over 7 years. Pay Trout 24 AAV, and you maybe could get something done this offseason.

$168 M / 7 guaranteed. With standard escalators for MVP's, All-Star, WS MVP, etc. It virtually guarantees the CBT in year one but in year two they may be able to avoid it. 

For the record, I'd pay him until he's 37. With a 14 year deal now. $168 over the first 7, 232 over the last 7. 

Unfortunately, according to my calculations.  The Angels will have a tough time getting under the CBT for the next 4 years.  Right now:

2014 $164 million

2015 $145 million

2016 $131 million

2017 $82 million

And these are conservative numbers.  Add in a front line pitcher on the cheap side at $15 million, and $24 million for CBT purposes on Trout.  For a $189 million CBT that ends in 2016, who know if they will raise it with the new CBA.  But considering it's purpose they may not.

2014 $203 million

2015 $184 million

2016 $170 million

2017 $121 million

Trout isn't taking anything more than 8 years from the Angels. He has he opportunity to get two mega contracts in his career. He could sign an 8/$200MM deal now and sign a 10/$300MM deal in his early 30s. We're talking $500MM earned in his career on these two deals. That's far more than anything the Angels can offer him under one contract.

Edited by Chimi

Unfortunately, according to my calculations.  The Angels will have a tough time getting under the CBT for the next 4 years.  Right now:

2014 $164 million

2015 $145 million

2016 $131 million

2017 $82 million

And these are conservative numbers.  Add in a front line pitcher on the cheap side at $15 million, and $24 million for CBT purposes on Trout.  For a $189 million CBT that ends in 2016, who know if they will raise it with the new CBA.  But considering it's purpose they may not.

2014 $203 million

2015 $184 million

2016 $170 million

2017 $121 million

I think if he were to sign a deal, it would be effective starting in his 2015 season.  Even if he signs it around the beginning of this season.  I could see them moving Kendrick next year to free up some space.  They could also move Ianetta as well.  As long as the team remains competitive, they will hover around it for  the next four years assuming it doesn't change.   

They will likely raise the CBT, but who knows how much.

Someone in another thread made a great suggestion: Offer Trout a heavily front loaded 20 year contract, with an opt out clause after year 7. The first seven years can be worth $25 million each or so (plus a huge signing bonus), with the back half being worth something insignificant like $4-7 million. Trout gets a great insurance policy, he gets paid big dollars up front, has the opportunity to opt out and get a second huge pay day, while the Angels get big flexibility with regards the staying under the CBT.

That contract would represent only around a $13 million salary per year under the CBT rules.

Edited by AngelsLakersFan

We have a very hard decision to make// but the reality is we have no control over it.  if he wants to stay, he will stay, if he doesnt, no amount will help
I'll tell you this though, the Yankess should be deemed unable to sign him if it ever happens due to tampering issues.. thats was bull f'n shit and they knew it

Do i think any player is worth 400 million... man i dont know, thats one guy making more than some teams.. seems kinda silly.

Staying here 11 seasons (first 3 seasons plus 8 year deal) ensures that he will have spent more time playing for the Halos than for anyone else, important for which team's hat the committee deems for him to wear, IF he were to make the HOF.

Of course that is likely some 21-23 years from now, and is the least of the team's worries.