• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Brian Moran

Angelsjunky

At any time the Angels can DL Moran (insert back pain/tendinitis excuse) as long as the time doesn't exceed 90 consecutive days. That does not include rehab starts in the minors.

So if he is not performing well enough it is wash, rinse, repeat through the DL until the Angels find him valuable enough to keep or return him. After this season they can return him to the minors, trade him or let him go.

Edited by Eric Notti

He is only 25, and outside of a bad 2011 in AA (then dominating AA in 2012) and a bad August 2013 in AAA has had solid minor league numbers.  The Ks/BBs ratio has always been solid. 

Humerous note, both Moran and Morin attended North Carolina although they may not have ever been teammates. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

The Angels could have one of the best bullpens in baseball in by August/September with the likes of Morin, Moran & RJ Alvarez joining Frieri, DDLR, Smith, Burnett and one of Jepsen/Kohn/Salas.

You had me up until Jepsen.  Then you lost me.

I like it. Dipoto has done some good things this off-season with very few resources. Start moran in the bigs along with Smith, burnett, jepsen, kohn, frieri, dlr. Salas has one year of options left so you can start him in aaa. Not a great 7 guys but better than last year. If you want to go 8 guys then stick Blanton in there for blowout mop up duty. Salas, Skaggs, brasier, maronde, and csrson for depth in aaa. Then alvarez and morin come up through the ranks

Edited by TylerP

At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if Jepsen gets cut(or I guess traded) before Opening Day. They could get away with only paying him a portion of that salary that way.

Frieri

Smith

DDLR

Burnett(if he's healthy) are all guaranteed bullpen spots.

The swingman Santiago/Shoemaker/ugh Blanton makes 5.

So that leaves 2 spots for 2 of: Salas and Jepsen(who are both due arb raises), Moran(who would need to make the team to not be offered back to the Ms, barring a trade), Kohn, Rapada, Morin, Rasmus, Maronde, whoever else gets thrown a minor league deal with an ST invite...

Edited by jshep

At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if Jepsen gets cut(or I guess traded) before Opening Day. They could get away with only paying him a portion of that salary that way.

Frieri

Smith

DDLR

Burnett(if he's healthy) are all guaranteed bullpen spots.

The swingman Santiago/Shoemaker/ugh Blanton makes 5.

So that leaves 2 spots for 2 of: Salas and Jepsen(who are both due arb raises), Moran(who would need to make the team to not be offered back to the Ms, barring a trade), Kohn, Rapada, Morin, whoever else gets thrown a minor league deal with an ST invite...

Arbitration money isn't guaranteed -- the Angels have been able to add talent...   Jeppy best show up.

The big difference this offseason to last is that JD has pretty much doubled up on possible BP guys.  Rapada, Moran, both there in case Burnett can't answer the bell, plus the in house options.  Salas, to go with Jep and Kohn...   

Its night and day.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Arbitration money isn't guaranteed -- the Angels have been able to add talent... Jeppy best show up.

The big difference this offseason to last is that JD has pretty much doubled up on possible BP guys. Rapada, Moran, both there in case Burnett can't answer the bell, plus the in house options. Salas, to go with Jep and Kohn...

Its night and day.

Last off-season, very little in return with a ton of resources. This off-season, a lot in return with very little resources. I like what he has done

What interesting is that the Angels don't seem to have technically given up any money (unless it's not mentioned int he article). The International Slot Bonus pool is simply a salary cap figure. It represents the amount of money a team is ALLOWED to spend on international players. Toronto is now allowed to spend more money internationally and the Angels less, but no actual money should have changed hands (at least that is noted).

It's interesting that the Angels keep making moves like this because they are supposed to be a big spending team, and it's limitations like the CBT, draft & international slot money that are there to keep them in check. You'd think the Angels would be maneuvering to gain the rights to spend more of the money they have, not less. I like this move though. 

someone please check my math on this one . . . 

my understanding was that if you were the team that claimed a guy on rule v, you were required to keep him on your 25 all season long or offer him back to his original team. however, if someone else claimed him and then traded him to you, the requirement to stay on the 25 was nullified.

what say ye?

someone please check my math on this one . . . 

my understanding was that if you were the team that claimed a guy on rule v, you were required to keep him on your 25 all season long or offer him back to his original team. however, if someone else claimed him and then traded him to you, the requirement to stay on the 25 was nullified.

what say ye?

I read something similar to that be it only states if he's traded by his 'original' club to the drafting club.

"A drafting club may work out a trade with the player’s original club so that the drafting club can keep him and send him to the minor leagues."

How the rules apply to the drafting club turning around and trading him to a third club is the million dollar question.  Everything else I read says if their current club doesn't want him, they have to place him on waivers, which it doesn't look like happened with Moran.

Was pretty obvious the M's didn't think he would be able to continue his success against MLB hitters .... especially when he didn't receive a September call-up after his dominating Triple A stint last season.

Was always intrigued by him though ... wanted to see what he could do against MLB hitters. Gonna be tough hanging in the mid 80s but hey ... Jamie Moyer made a career out of it.