• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Rule V draft...

Inside Pitch

So why would the Pirates leave someone like this exposed? Because he's a reliever only?

Because he's completely boring 90-91 tops.  He's got a really low 3/4 delivery, sometimes seems sidearm and throws a slider that isn't awesome but gets in on people in part because of his arm slot..   Guy just gets outs but the delivery makes people think it's all a mirage.

Nice find. Through three levels last year (A+ to AAA) last year he had 10.8 k/9 vs. 1.4 bb/9. That's pretty good.

Tyler Ybarra may be eligible too -- http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ybarra001tyl  Nowhere near as good a BB/9 but, he can get it up there.

I much prefer Thornton as a guy capable of sticking.

Edited by Inside Pitch

There is a Catcher that would be intriguing in Houston's system. But I don't know if he'd be eligible for the AAA portion, or if he'd have to be taken in the major league portion. If so, I'd doubt the Angels keep three catchers, unless they are planning on working Conger in at DH a lot and feel a third catcher is necessary for defensive reasons. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=perez-010car

I read a scouting report a few weeks ago after the Rule V deadline on him, can't find it now. Says basically he could stick as a backup catcher and that he is good defensively.

He's still eligible for the rule V.

No one will sign him anyways.  Part of the rules for rule V is if you select someone, they have to stay on your 25 man roster the entire year before they become your property.  In Lewis' case, don't even know if he can throw a baseball effectively yet.

No one will sign him anyways.  Part of the rules for rule V is if you select someone, they have to stay on your 25 man roster the entire year before they become your property.  In Lewis' case, don't even know if he can throw a baseball effectively yet.

So then we just send him back to Texas if that's the case...

Reading about it a little more.  I don't think Lewis will be eligible for the Rule V.  This draft is meant for players that were never on the 40 man roster.  Lewis was at one point on the 40 man roster so he would be ineligible.

In a seperate note.  Storm, Berg isn't listed in the top 10.  So a good chance we keep him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/clubs-will-be-looking-to-bolster-their-rosters-through-thursdays-rule-5-draft-at-the-winter-meetings?ymd=20131207&content_id=64468814&vkey=news_mlb

Reading about it a little more.  I don't think Lewis will be eligible for the Rule V.  This draft is meant for players that were never on the 40 man roster.  Lewis was at one point on the 40 man roster so he would be ineligible.

In a seperate note.  Storm, Berg isn't listed in the top 10.  So a good chance we keep him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/clubs-will-be-looking-to-bolster-their-rosters-through-thursdays-rule-5-draft-at-the-winter-meetings?ymd=20131207&content_id=64468814&vkey=news_mlb

See: Angel Sanchez last year.  Angels signed him to a minor league deal, White Sox Rule V'd him.

Because he's completely boring 90-91 tops.  He's got a really low 3/4 delivery, sometimes seems sidearm and throws a slider that isn't awesome but gets in on people in part because of his arm slot..   Guy just gets outs but the delivery makes people think it's all a mirage.

Don't we have someone like that already at AAA?

Whoops, never mind, Dipoto left Jeremy Berg unprotected himself.

Good article -- some interesting names.   I remember when Oliver Drake had a following..   Trippy to see him listed as a Rule V possible.  Thornton made that top ten -- so, that blows.

Thanks, I hope we keep him.  For a franchise who has had as bad bull pen as we have had, I have no idea why he isn't given an opportunity.