• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Raul Ibanez heading to Angels

Scott34

AJ, any suggestions on who you would like instead of Ibanez?

I would definitely prefer a high OBP guy but I don't think it hurts to give Ibanez 400 PA and get a .450 SLG% out of him. 

I'd prefer Chavez, for one. Plus he has added value as he can play 3B and 1B.

I just don't want to see another .300 OBP in the lineup. That was the big flaw with Trumbo, which kept him from being more than an overall average ballplayer.

Chuck, relax. Santiago has good stuff, no doubt, but so did Daniel Cabrera. Its his control I'm worried about. I'm moderately optimistic, though. And yeah, Skaggs is very good - although not "the best prospect in baseball" last year. That's an over-statement. My point is simply that both have question marks. But again, Dipoto did very well - better than I thought he would.

Chavez's rate stats may be better because he's had his spots cherry picked more than Ibanez.  As a lefty, and a part timer, that shouldn't be a big issue, though.  The Angels could plug in someone else against LHP if he's too bad.   I'd prefer him over Ibanez.  

I'd prefer Chavez, for one. Plus he has added value as he can play 3B and 1B.

I just don't want to see another .300 OBP in the lineup. That was the big flaw with Trumbo, which kept him from being more than an overall average ballplayer.

Chuck, relax. Santiago has good stuff, no doubt, but so did Daniel Cabrera. Its his control I'm worried about. I'm moderately optimistic, though. And yeah, Skaggs is very good - although not "the best prospect in baseball" last year. That's an over-statement. My point is simply that both have question marks. But again, Dipoto did very well - better than I thought he would.

He was ranked the best pitching prospect in baseball going into this season.

I like Ibanez until Cron is ready. Maybe Green against lefties.

Can you guys quick talking like Matsui was decent.  He completely sucked!  Then we fell so far behind in the race and raked.  You can put up season numbers all you want, but when the games mattered he sucked.  What made it worse, the guy we gave up for Matsui made the All star game.!

This needs to be carved in stone. Matsui was pretty invisible when it mattered most, but lit it up when all hope was lost.

Can you guys quick talking like Matsui was decent.  He completely sucked!  Then we fell so far behind in the race and raked.  You can put up season numbers all you want, but when the games mattered he sucked.  What made it worse, the guy we gave up for Matsui made the All star game.!

Storm!! You need more exclamation marks!! 

First of all, unlike Wells, and Hamilton he wasn't meant to be a "big splash" free agent signing or trade. I wish Wells and Hamilton put up numbers close to his numbers in 2010. He was only signed for one year and 6.5 million. It's your problem if you expected him to be a big bat. His numbers for the 2010 season (.274/.361/.459/.820) were almost identical to his numbers with the Yankees in 2009 (.274/.367/.509/.874). You expected to have better numbers than he had with the Yankees playing in a pitcher friendly stadium with two of pitching friendly stadiums in the division? The Angels never expected him to put up the numbers Vlad put up in his prime.

In 2010, he got off to a slow start (.252/.334/.398/.732- before the all start break), but he slow start wasn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

The Angels didn't give up anyone for Matsui. They let the injured Vlad, that put up worse numbers than Matsui leave. In 2010, Vlad's numbers in the second half sucked. He disappeared when the Rangers needed him the most. 

Why does is the term swingman suggest he's a 5th starter? Masterson was a swingman a few years back. Just because Hector can relieve and start? He has #3 type stuff, not #5. He more than fills the void left by Vargas.

Santiago is a #3-6 quality starter. His innings and runs allowed last year has him around a 3, but his peripherals and in turn is FIP/xFIP have him as a #6 type guy. He has a solid K rate, so his stuff is deceptive and misses bats, so he has always had a high ceiling, but his walk rate is atrocious and at is age it's unlikely to see the significant improvement required to become a top of the rotation starter. I certainly hope he's more 3 than 6 that's for sure. I see him as a poor man's Kelvim Escobar.

Chavez or Kubel would be perfectly fine by me.

I have no idea what happened to Kubel last year but he was dreadful. If he bounces back, he's good for a 120 OPS+.

Chavez would be nice because he can spell Pujols at 1st. The injuries make him a big risk but I guess you wouldn't be asking on him doing much at DH or a few games at 1st.

they said the same thing about Steve Finley

Sign 2 DHs. Sign Ibanez 1st & tell him that he'll play alot.

Then sign a better/younger DH & tell Ibanez he got moved down in the depth chart.

Ibanez wont cost much & having him sit on the bench lowers the Team ERA

from those games Ibanez would have clutch hits against the Angels.

Santiago is a #3-6 quality starter. His innings and runs allowed last year has him around a 3, but his peripherals and in turn is FIP/xFIP have him as a #6 type guy. He has a solid K rate, so his stuff is deceptive and misses bats, so he has always had a high ceiling, but his walk rate is atrocious and at is age it's unlikely to see the significant improvement required to become a top of the rotation starter. I certainly hope he's more 3 than 6 that's for sure. I see him as a poor man's Kelvim Escobar.

We replaced Vargas who got 4 years 40 million with a guy making pennies in comparison who also happens to be much better with a higher ceiling.

I like it!