• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels believe they have the pieces to acquire Price

Scott34

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--mariners--dodgers--angels-amongst-possible-trade-destinations-for-rays--david-price-013232956.html

"The Seattle Mariners, Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels, Pittsburgh Pirates, Texas Rangers, Arizona Diamondbacks and Toronto Blue Jays are among the teams that not only have an interest in Price but believe they can put together the sort of package to pry Price from the Rays, sources said."

Please don't do it, Jerry.  We are all begging you.

So just a few thoughts on anyone trading for David Price:

1. David Price will make a little over $13MM this year and something close to $18.5MM (or more!) in 2015 before he hits free agency.
  2. When you combine those two years of salary next to the ace-level production he provides, he definitely has significant trade value.
  3. Prospects are inherently inexpensive because they have little or no MLB experience. Thus when the Rays traded two years of James Shields (at a much lower salary than Price by the way) and Wade Davis (essentially a salary dump for the Rays although he had some value too) they got back a top prospect in Wil Myers plus another decent prospect in Jake Odorizzi, Mike Montgomery (a former top prospect who fell on hard times) and a lower-end 3B prospect in Leonard.
  4. Everyone is assuming the Rays want prospects and I don't think that is necessarily the case. The Rays are prepared to win in 2014 and adding a 1B and DH would be a significant step towards that goal. The rest of their roster is pretty well set, except perhaps for their bullpen.
  5. If the Rays do want established MLB players they will not get the "big haul" of prospects. Other MLB players have real value based on their past and projected future performance levels. Clearly someone like Mark Trumbo isn't enough to get Price by himself but adding in other MLB players or 2 or more prospects might bridge the gap.
  6. I don't think the Angels have the prospects to include that would entice the Rays to bite on a Trumbo-based trade.
  7. However, there is no reason that a third team couldn't get involved where we send one or more of Erick Aybar, Howie Kendrick, Chris Iannetta or Peter Bourjos (oh wait! Nevermind the last) to another team who then sends other MLB players or prospects to the Rays along with Trumbo, i.e. a 3-way trade.
  8. Finally I don't think the Angels should pursue this route unless we require David Price to sign a long-term extension with us as a condition of the trade. Two years of Price would be awesome but our short-term future would be barren and even more stark than it already is in terms of prospect talent.
  9. Recommendation: Don't trade for Price (even if we could somehow) and use our trade assets to acquire young, cost-controlled, starting pitchers, one of which can be inserted into the rotation this season by no later than mid-to-late May.

I've said in the past that Richards shouldn't be the piece that holds up a trade, but upon further thought trading him makes zero sense whatsoever. He's literally the only MLB ready, cost-controlled starter they have who actually has some sort of potential and for a team that is supposedly coveting those pieces this offseason, trading theirs would be stupid.

Not that I wouldn't want Price over Richards.

They will not need Richards. They got pitching dood.

The Angels can't compete with a package  that consists of Taijuan Walker.

Honestly, every one of those other teams mentioned has a better centerpiece type guy to offer than the Angels do. And then can throw in a few other pieces on top of it.

I can't possibly imagine why the Rays would prefer whatever cobbled together pile of mid-tier guys the Angels could throw out there.

Edited by jshep

I'd say the Halos don't have the pieces to get Price but we just saw a pretty solid GM(Dombrowski) go and trade a pretty good SP for crap, so who knows

Still, if Price is made available, hard to see the Halos outbidding some other teams who have better pieces to offer. Don't buy the M's as an option. They need bats more than arms, and it wouldn't make much sense for them to deal Taijuan to get Price

Cubs could be a team I see who end up with Price

I'd be okay with Trumbo, Kendrick, Maronde, Cowart for Price as long as he agrees to an extension. I do believe the Rays are in win now mode and might find more value in two players who are MLB proven over top prospects (which they have an ass load of already) Thats the main reason we MIGHT have a chance.

The issue is the Rays obviously can't sport a big payroll and guys like Trumbo are starting to get more expensive and Kendrick is making $9.5 mill. Seems more like they'd be looking to net back cost-controlled players/high end prospects who they can milk a good 5 years out of them before they start to get more expensive to(then they trade them off)