• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Backload our next contract for an arm?

Kenbrents21

I think if we did sign a good guy we could backload it so wells is off the books I know we are going to need money for trout and Trombone if we don't trade him. I would only move mark if Price is in it I like are chances if Jerry really wants it we are built for now so we can give the rays proven mlb players not guys in the minors plus they get him for what 3 years and one of the best power hitters. But like Garza pay him 8 first year and whatever next. I really think Arte won't let 10-15 mil from really going for it. Prof Josh signing and Weaver is not getting younger. Get Price and just go for it. I really don't want to move Howie now Aybar I have no prob. My pipe dream move Trumbo and another for price and sign Choo or Ellsbury. It would be nuts trout and one of those for Albert, Josh and Howie that would be sick. Or move one and Aybar for Kemp and see the if dogs will eat 5 mil a year. U guys prob will eat me alive for this post but I was the one saying how much sense Albert was for us.

I understood most of it.

The problem with backloading contracts is that it is strictly thinking about NOW and ignoring the future. 3-4 years down the road when Pujols is getting paid 30 million the payroll is going to look like shit.

The other problem is that it doesn't matter for the luxury tax. The tax is based on average annual value. So if you sign a guy to a 5 year 90 million contract and pay him 12 million for the first 2 years, it won't matter for the tax threshold. The AAV is 18 million.

No AO it shouldn't. I would love to front load contracts where they are paid more during their prime years and have it taper down, but that just doesn't happen. I can't think of a single contract that has been written like that. You back load contracts for the reason I stated above.

No AO it shouldn't. I would love to front load contracts where they are paid more during their prime years and have it taper down, but that just doesn't happen. I can't think of a single contract that has been written like that. You back load contracts for the reason I stated above.

Yeah, the last time a contract was front loaded you have to go all the way back to when the Cardinals signed Johny Peralta.

The problem with backloading contracts is that it is strictly thinking about NOW and ignoring the future. 3-4 years down the road when Pujols is getting paid 30 million the payroll is going to look like shit.

It is a short-sighted approach at best. You are paying the most when a player is worth the least. Contracts that go in the opposite direction of production are a terrible idea.