• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Bourjos traded to Cardinals

SoWhat

Salas isn't a prospect.   He's going into his first year of arbirtation I do believe.

he did spend significant time in Memphis last year, but has been with the big league for a few years.

He was closing for a while in 2011 and pretty solid of us then.   But 2012 and 2013 he just flat out sucked.   Cards were likely going to non-tender him if they couldn't move him.

This sums up everything perfectly.

I guess I'm in the minority here and like this deal. Oh well, some of you valued Bourjos higher and I get why you're butthurt.

Well again with all due respect Bourjos' value was higher than this and I am not someone who gets "butthurt", I am someone who is disappointed that the Angels sold low on a dynamic starting center fielder.

In the end if this leads to Mike Trout being happy and signing a long term extension then it will be worth it I suppose. Bourjos was NOT a 4th outfielder. He is a MLB starting center fielder and that is why the Cardinals smartly picked him up because they know they just significantly improved their team.

For what its worth Angel's fans, I think David Freese has a good shot to turn it around this year.

He hit 20 HRs in 2012, so he has the potential to do that again if he can stay healthy.

He is a hometown hero for what he did in 2011 and I'm sad to see him go.

I am happy to see Borjous get a shot in St. Louis,  I was saying earlier this last summer that he looked like the kind of player the Cards would target.    He is definitely an upgrade over Jon Jay.

I hope Freese turns it around for you guys this year.    Really rooting for him, and Albert too.  

Salas sucks. 

Freese was money in 2012, 20 homers, 290 avg and 370 obp, he was a solid defender too. His lousy season in 2013 is all anyone seems to want to look at though. If we get the good Freese not the bad Freese I really like this trade. Either way Bourjos was gonna end up in another OF platoon here in Anaheim. And he wasn't going to land us any kind of starter better than a 4. This trades not as bad as people are making it out to be. 

This team is NOT better with Calhoun starting. This lineup is more efficient with Calhoun in it (a natural corner OFer) than Bourjos, but attempting to take advantage of that efficiency does not mean you trade Bourjos for pennies on the dollar. 

It's like winning a new Civic on the Price Is Right so you decide to sell your newish Mercedes for $10k. 

You mean the "newish" mercedes that's spent as time at the mechanics the last 2 years as it has on the road?  We heard all of this after 2012 going into 2013. 

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

Salas was pitching in AAA since he couldn't crack the Cards pen, but I'm sure he'll be pitching in those high stressful situations on this team. I think the only requirement to pitch for the Halos bullpen is to have a pulse

I think there's actually 3 requirements.

1) Pulse

2) Throw kind of hard

3) Look like you should be better than you are, or likely ever will be.

I see it isnt a popular deal...
I see it like this. Freese upgrades 3B and Salas is still probably an upgrade in the bullpen by the numbers pver most of what we ran outthere last year.
Borjous was a 4th OF and losing Grichuck sucks but he was what 7 on the depth chart?
It does have a win now feel to it, but lets be honest, isnt that what we are built for right now?

Bottom line, i like it, i think the value makes sense and the team is better today than it was yesterday.

Salas isn't a prospect.   He's going into his first year of arbirtation I do believe.

he did spend significant time in Memphis last year, but has been with the big league for a few years.

He was closing for a while in 2011 and pretty solid of us then.   But 2012 and 2013 he just flat out sucked.   Cards were likely going to non-tender him if they couldn't move him.

The last sentence pretty much summarizes what we got. We just traded for a guy the other team was going to cut.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Salas was pitching in AAA since he couldn't crack the Cards pen, but I'm sure he'll be pitching in those high stressful situations on this team. I think the only requirement to pitch for the Halos bullpen is to have a pulse

He'll be the platoon setup man with his white counterpart, Jepsen.

I see it isnt a popular deal...

I see it like this. Freese upgrades 3B and Salas is still probably an upgrade in the bullpen by the numbers pver most of what we ran outthere last year.

Borjous was a 4th OF and losing Grichuck sucks but he was what 7 on the depth chart?

It does have a win now feel to it, but lets be honest, isnt that what we are built for right now?

Bottom line, i like it, i think the value makes sense and the team is better today than it was yesterday.

bourjos was not a 4th OF

Chuck, does it not bother you to lose Grichuk?  Do you not think we overpaid here?  Do you really think we had to include Grichuk to make this trade happen?  And don't you think we could have received a better arm than Salas?

I am okay with the Freese/Bourjos part.  Had it been a one-for-one, I would probably be in favor of the trade (or at least ambivalent).  But including Grichuk was unacceptable, IMO. 

The last time you copped an attitude like this was right after the Wells trade Chuck.

Just sayin'.

I don't know enough about Freese to say if a straight up trade for Burjous is good or bad, but Grichuk for Salas is horrible.  You know it, i know it and everyone on this board knows it.  Our first big trade piece is out the door and we have a higher payroll and just as big a hole in pitching staff as we did before.  I

Bless this post and bless you, MT.

I have a question for all those who are opposed to this deal: Can I find a post from you talking about playing Trout in CF instead of Bourjos? Remember the whole controversy about displacing Trout from CF, his preferred position? If you think/thought Trout should go back to CF, most of your rage on this deal is deflated because the best part of Bourjos' value was tied to his defense in CF. If he's not in CF, then his value is diminished. 

I am a big fan of both Peter Bourjos and Grichuk. Really like both guys, and have known them since they first came into our system. I had a sneaky suspicion that Grichuk would be included in this deal. On a personal note, I will be sad to see them playing elsewhere, although I am happy that they are going to a good organization.

However, I am a bigger fan of the ANGELS. I want to see the Angels win over any one player.

I will hold off on evaluating this trade until I see all the moves that Dipoto makes. As Chuck has argued, this move frees up a potential Aybar/Kendrick/Trumbo move to get pitching. I hope Freese bounces back, but also see him as a placeholder until Cowart develops.

Unlike some, I am not going to go into a fullblown panic over the move until I see the whole picture. I see this as the first step in a sequence of moves. Give it some time and have patience.

Oh good grief dave, save the superfan crap.  Saying this trade sucks isn't going into fullblown panic mode.  Nice hyperbole though.  Geez. 

Chuck, does it not bother you to lose Grichuk?  Do you not think we overpaid here?  Do you really think we had to include Grichuk to make this trade happen?  And don't you think we could have received a better arm than Salas?

I am okay with the Freese/Bourjos part.  Had it been a one-for-one, I would probably be in favor of the trade (or at least ambivalent).  But including Grichuk was unacceptable, IMO. 

The Grichuk part of the deal bothers me yes. But, until we see if Salas can be a solid contributor for us out of the pen, and see if Grichuk makes their big league club, we cannot really judge this deal.

Chuck has a PR rep to uphold.

For the record I am fine with Bourjos for Freese. It isn't a great trade but it does free up Aybar to be traded if need be. But Grichuk for Salas? That is just absurd. Grichuk was arguably the Angels top OF prospect and they just traded him for Carlos Jepsen. If they felt Grichuk had no future with the Angels wouldn't you think they could send him in a package for a pitcher? Was there no other prospect the Cardinals would take for freaking Salas???