• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The exercise/weight loss thread

Oh yeah.

I'm on CKD right now actually - got a bit too lazy after getting married recently and it caught up with me. too much time drinking, eating and traveling and not enough time working out and keeping an eye on the diet. 

CKD is cyclical ketogenics: basically you are in state of ketosis for 5-6 days, which depletes your glycogen stores and burns fat for energy. And then you first inject fast acting carbs to replenish glycogen for 1/2 day, and then spend one day doing slow acting carbs (think grapenuts) to provide energy for the next weeks workouts. read up on it. pretty simple. the main thing is you can burn fat while still able to do workouts, so as to not lose lean muscle mass. 

there is also TKD which is targeted ketogenics. basically the primary time you have carbohydrates is around workouts. i've had success with that too.

or if you just want to burn fat do straight keto for a while and up your cardio. but i wouldn't aim to do it forever, it's not really sustainable long term. plus without the re-feeds it making lifting nearly impossible. 

I'm bummed. Been putting on some serious gains while losing body fat along the way since the first of the year. A month ago I tweaked my shoulder in the gym, I'm not sure what I did. I tried working out through the pain for 2-3 weeks but realized I was making it worse.

I fear that I either have a rotator cuff or torn labrum, unless it's something else. I cannot do bench press because pushing straight out hurts, as does lift my arm up to grab a glass out of the cupboard. Doing side lifts hurt as well, but doing military presses, back and arms are fine. 

On Monday I have a doctor's appointment and an MRI. Hoping a few steroid injections in the shoulder is all I need, but I'm fearful that it's something torn in there because it hurts like a bitch.

16 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm bummed. Been putting on some serious gains while losing body fat along the way since the first of the year. A month ago I tweaked my shoulder in the gym, I'm not sure what I did. I tried working out through the pain for 2-3 weeks but realized I was making it worse.

I fear that I either have a rotator cuff or torn labrum, unless it's something else. I cannot do bench press because pushing straight out hurts, as does lift my arm up to grab a glass out of the cupboard. Doing side lifts hurt as well, but doing military presses, back and arms are fine. 

On Monday I have a doctor's appointment and an MRI. Hoping a few steroid injections in the shoulder is all I need, but I'm fearful that it's something torn in there because it hurts like a bitch.

so, TJ surgery and a 100 game suspension from the MLB is in your future? :P

hope everything turns out okay, chuck.

Just now, Tank said:

so, TJ surgery and a 100 game suspension from the MLB is in your future? :P

hope everything turns out okay, chuck.

Thanks @Tank... not my elbow, but my shoulder. 

Like every other nagging pain, I just thought it would just go away. This one is a sharp pain with numbness whenever I lift my arm up in a certain way or straight out, like I was pushing something.

things continue to go the right direction for my weight loss. am down another 1.4 lbs. this week, bringing my overall total to 152.6. this comes at the end of two weeks of spring break where my daily activity has slowed down a bit, though i did play golf this week and did a lot of walking at a couple of museums. back to work next week where i'll keep playing some lunchtime hockey. also, my roller blades arrived and i'll strap them on next week and see what we can do. it's been about 30 years since i last skated, so this will be a bit of an adventure, hopefully one that doesn't involve any broken bones.

24 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Have you tried doing trigger point massage?

Anytime I tweak something in the gym, I break out the massage book (or go to massage therapist) and in a week or two things are back on line.

https://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1608824942/

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Thanks @Tank... not my elbow, but my shoulder. 

Like every other nagging pain, I just thought it would just go away. This one is a sharp pain with numbness whenever I lift my arm up in a certain way or straight out, like I was pushing something.

Damn dude, hope it's just something that can be fixed with rest.

Have been having some pain in my left shoulder. Saw this video the other day that suggested not doing shoulder presses at certain angles and was able to make it through my latest shoulder day pretty well.

On 3/31/2017 at 9:57 AM, Chuckster70 said:

On 3/31/2017 at 2:19 PM, Richard said:

His channel rocks. My workouts are now much safer taking his advice on weight training. His nutrition advice however isn't great. He is a physical therapist, not a nutritionist, after all. 

These helped with my shoulders:

There are more but I'll spare the space. Shoulders are incredible joints because they move in many directions compared to knees or elbows. They are also more susceptible to injury.

13 hours ago, #CF8 said:

Hanging goes against everything I've ever learned but I tried it last year and it has been a godsend. I now hang a couple of days per week. 

If there is damage, try stem cell before any surgery. 

Ive been through PT for rotator cuff problems twice. If you don't have a way to hang on anything, lie on your bed and raise your arms over your head. It helps sometimes to use a pole to grasp with both hands so the healthy arm/shoulder can help stretch the tight shoulder to that straight overhead position. I also used very light wieghts just so it causes a slight press against the stiffness of the shoulder, stretching it out but be careful raising it back up, if there is a lot of resistance or pain just drop the weight.

• 4 weeks later...

So I received a cortisone shot in the shoulder where I have a rotator cuff issue and it has helped with both the pain and range of motion since. It has been over a week.

My doc wants me to get another one soon just to be sure, but my question to you all is this.

Has a cortisone shot ever healed something like this before? I'm not going to try bench pressing for a while despite feeling better, but man, night and day difference so far. 

Also, do cortisone shots have a long lasting negative effect on the body?

20 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

So I received a cortisone shot in the shoulder where I have a rotator cuff issue and it has helped with both the pain and range of motion since. It has been over a week.

My doc wants me to get another one soon just to be sure, but my question to you all is this.

Has a cortisone shot ever healed something like this before? I'm not going to try bench pressing for a while despite feeling better, but man, night and day difference so far. 

Also, do cortisone shots have a long lasting negative effect on the body?

Cortisone shots don't heal, they just give a big anti-inflammatory boost, which can give you enough range of motion while your body heals itself, or if needed, so you can do a proper PT program, and hopefully get the issue fixed before it flares up again. If it doesn't heal on its own, or if you don't stick with the PT or it's something that PT can't fix, then the cortisone effect will eventually wear off, and the doctor may have to move to more aggressive treatment. 

I remember when I got my first one for my shoulder. It was a fucking miracle. I couldn't stir a pot of beans before it, and then suddenly, I was completely pain free. I did my PT, and the problem came right back after the cortisone wore off a few months later. The doctor told me that they'd need to do surgery, and I kept putting it off and just asking for more cortisone every 6 months or so. Finally, I had to break down and just get the surgery. 

My doctor recommended not getting more than a couple cortisone shots per year. I assume it had something to do with it not being great for the body, but I'm not sure. 

20 hours ago, Tank said:

i don't know, chuck, but if you're going to any of the angels games this week in seatlle, make sure you're wearing a red angels hat in case the camera finds you.

I have an Angels hat on, but it's black. :)