• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Free agents reject qualifying offers

gotbeer

It happens...Lohse last year comes to mind...but, more often than not, somebody jumps in and forfeits the draft pick, usually overpaying for the privilege....I don't see the Halos going after any of those guys....

Edited by DMVol

I'm wondering if the Pirates become this years Indians.  They are right in contention.  They have payroll space.  They have a farm system, so losing a year won't be too detrimental.  

A few strategic signings for people that can't get signed, losing a few picks this year, and they could be a force next season.  Like a Lohse, Bourne, Swisher last season for the Tribe.

The Pirates didn't extend a QO to Burnett as it was not in their budget. Don't expect them to spend $$.

Napoli should have accepted the QO. Same thing with Kendrys.

And this is the same reason that the Angels didn't offer Vargas a QO.... budget. $14 million for a QO would put them right up against the luxury tax. Also to be honest I think Vargas gets no more that $11 million per year in free agency.

I know some of you will argue that it is okay to overpay for one year to get the compensatory pick but the chances that Vargas would accept the QO were high in my opinion and thus we would not get the pick.

The Pirates didn't extend a QO to Burnett as it was not in their budget. Don't expect them to spend $$.

Napoli should have accepted the QO. Same thing with Kendrys.

Napoli and Kendrys are in a win win situation. They may not get a contract they hope for but won't get less than what they were offered.

You would be correct. Napoli is also a first baseman and not a DH.

I'm thinking he'll sign with Boston who already offered him a guaranteed contract.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/11/11/5092040/state-of-play-american-league-first-baseman-mike-napoli-kendrys-morales

Found this writeup on DH/1B's.  It'll be interesting to see how the Morales/Napoli FA'cy works out.  

I truly don't understand why this system exists.  It makes no sense whatsoever, and serves only to punish teams for signing free agents and players for rejecting a qualifying offer.  Who benefits from this system?  Why not just give the team that loses the player a compensatory, sandwich pick, without making the signing team forfeit a pick. 

Makes zero sense. 

I truly don't understand why this system exists.  It makes no sense whatsoever, and serves only to punish teams for signing free agents and players for rejecting a qualifying offer.  Who benefits from this system?  Why not just give the team that loses the player a compensatory, sandwich pick, without making the signing team forfeit a pick. 

Makes zero sense. 

It does allow the teams with protected draft picks a little more leverage. Unfortunately most of those teams can't afford free agents.

All this means a total of nothing when the Angels and Vargas reach a deal on a two year plus a team option for a third year contract in the next couple of weeks. I'm guessing it will be two years at $22 Million with the third year at $12 Million and a buy out of about $3 million, so essentially 2 years and $25 Million.