• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

LA Times: Angels unlikely to make Jason Vargas a qualifying offer; to pursue pitching via trade

I doubt we sign Vargas as a FA....once you're on the open market, with 30 teams out there, somebody will usually go wacko and offer something out of line....and with no qualifying offer, his value goes up....

Edited by DMVol

I doubt we sign Vargas as a FA....once you're on the open market, with 30 teams out there, somebody will usually go wacko and offer something out of line....and with no qualifying offer, his value goes up....

I want to say I read a study on Fangraphs that put the value on the lost pick at somewhere near $6 million.

That effectively adds $6m to Vargas' value to every other MLB franchise without a protected pick.

They lost a good draft pick though.   What's the biggest harm that comes from making that offer?

If he leaves, we get the draft pick.   If he stays, we get him for a year so we can further sort out the pitching rotation down the road.

It's the type of move you'd expect from the Marlins or the Pirates. We are shedding payroll here, nothing more.

And that's the DISGUSTING part, we're talking ONE year with Vargas if he accepts, and over that time further evaluating the rotation.   Of course, if he accepts the first time and pitches like he did in 2013, then they can go ahead and declne the offer because the chances are he would accept it and hopefully by then they wll have a better feel for the rotation.

NOTHING is gained by not making the QO!

And that's the DISGUSTING part, we're talking ONE year with Vargas if he accepts, and over that time further evaluating the rotation. Of course, if he accepts the first time and pitches like he did in 2013, then they can go ahead and declne the offer because the chances are he would accept it and hopefully by then they wll have a better feel for the rotation.

NOTHING is gained by not making the QO!

Well, lets look at it this way: Say Arte has allowed a strict 15 million budget this offseason. That includes arbitration figures, trades, etc...

If Vargas accepts the offer, you have used up all of the budget and then some (after arbitration) on one player who is frankly not worth it. The Angels are then forced to trade Kendrick, Trumbo, and even Aybar to free up salary. Teams would know this and would automatically have the upper hand in any deal involving those players.

I agree that he probably should have been made the offer, but perhaps there was reason to believe he would accept it. If he signs a long term deal with the Angels this all becomes a moot point.

could the hand wringing over this be because we don't know the plan?  Maybe they figure the six mil them save can go towards a bid on Tanaka or a closer or both. 

I know there isn't much trust in the front office and the org in general right now, but I'm willing to let it play out. 

If we get Tanaka, trade for a starter, and upgrade the pen, I'd be happy. 

If they sign two crappy FA fringe 5th starters and call it an off season, I'll be annoyed. 

could the hand wringing over this be because we don't know the plan?  Maybe they figure the six mil them save can go towards a bid on Tanaka or a closer or both. 

I know there isn't much trust in the front office and the org in general right now, but I'm willing to let it play out. 

If we get Tanaka, trade for a starter, and upgrade the pen, I'd be happy. 

If they sign two crappy FA fringe 5th starters and call it an off season, I'll be annoyed. 

I'd be shocked if they were in on Tanaka now. He is going to cost A LOT and here we see the Angels penny pinching with Jason Vargas. 

We are down to two good pitchers in the rotation, and I'd be quite surprised to see Vargas back here on any deal significantly under the $14 mill AAV. I'd say he gets around $35mil from someone.