• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Bands you like that most people mock you for?

nate

The Cult:  Their most popular album was "Sonic Temple" so most people tend to associate them with corporate "hair" bands from the late '80's but after the disaster that was "Ceremony", "The Cult ('94)", "Beyond Good and Evil", "Born Into This", and "Choice of Weapon" are all great rock albums.

Cheap Trick: Just a great overall rock band.  Their peak was their first five - six albums but they still put out good music afterwards.

I don't think most people even know the bands I listen too.

whenever you start talking about the bands you like, i don't ever have a clue who you're talking about. i appreciate that there are plenty of people that don't go for music that's only played on the radio, or they go for different kinds of genres. my tastes were always simpler than that, but two things i like: good harmony, and songs that tell stories. 

We just saw Danny Elfman's Music of Tim Burton Films a couple of days ago. It was amazing to see it performed live with a full orchestra and choir.

Danny Elfman sang all of Jack's Nightmare Before Christmas songs, Catherine O'Hara sang Sally's song and then Elfman came back and performed Oogie Boogie's song for the encore.

We were there too!  That was very cool!  Even better than seeing the orchestra perform the music while Pirates of the Caribbean movie played at Irvine Meadows...  *edit-  I thought it was funny that most everybody else in the audience around us was video-recording with their phones, instead of watching the show.

My tastes run from punk/hardcore to country to pop.  I can even listen to some of this new techno/rap crud my daughters listen to.  I would say I catch the most heat for listening to Coldplay tho...

Edited by LBHalos17

The Cult:  Their most popular album was "Sonic Temple" so most people tend to associate them with corporate "hair" bands from the late '80's but after the disaster that was "Ceremony", "The Cult ('94)", "Beyond Good and Evil", "Born Into This", and "Choice of Weapon" are all great rock albums.

Cheap Trick: Just a great overall rock band.  Their peak was their first five - six albums but they still put out good music afterwards.

Love is still my favorite album but The Cult.

I have Michael Jackson's HIStory album in my collection. People tend to look at it, look at me, then say something like "You know what? I still like Michael Jackson too, but I prefer the Off The Wall album," as if them admitting they liked Thriller is just too much, so they gotta go hipster on the MJ and say they liked his stuff before everyone else did. The damned thing sold over 20 Million friggin albums, but you go on witcha bad self thinking that it's OK to like Michael Jackson's "other" good album because it only sold 20 million copies instead of the 50 million that Thriller did.

Needless to say, instead of getting mocked for liking the MJ, I get the guilty admissions left and right.

Love is still my favorite album but The Cult.

"Love" is one of my tops as well...I liked a lot of the singles that came out during the "Dreamtime"/"Love" era - "All Souls Avenue", "Little Face", "Judith" - loads of good music that was only available as B-sides until the 2000 box set.   

"Love" is one of my tops as well...I liked a lot of the singles that came out during the "Dreamtime"/"Love" era - "All Souls Avenue", "Little Face", "Judith" - loads of good music that was only available as B-sides until the 2000 box set.   

Yep, the B-sides were great.  I loved "Sunrise" too.

I have Michael Jackson's HIStory album in my collection. People tend to look at it, look at me, then say something like "You know what? I still like Michael Jackson too, but I prefer the Off The Wall album," as if them admitting they liked Thriller is just too much, so they gotta go hipster on the MJ and say they liked his stuff before everyone else did. The damned thing sold over 20 Million friggin albums, but you go on witcha bad self thinking that it's OK to like Michael Jackson's "other" good album because it only sold 20 million copies instead of the 50 million that Thriller did.

Needless to say, instead of getting mocked for liking the MJ, I get the guilty admissions left and right.

lol.

this post made me laugh pretty good.

I know exactly what you mean with the music hipsters that seem to only like x band or whatever's old stuff. Reminds me of high school and punk where everyone passed around Pennywise, Guttermouth, Screeching Weasel, etc. but there was always the dude that wanted to be too cool for school and make sure he had his Misfits or Black Flag shirt on with elitist pride. Great bands, but you could see through it. Same with Bad Religion and how their new stuff wasn't as good as their old stuff.

whenever you start talking about the bands you like, i don't ever have a clue who you're talking about. i appreciate that there are plenty of people that don't go for music that's only played on the radio, or they go for different kinds of genres. my tastes were always simpler than that, but two things i like: good harmony, and songs that tell stories.

I appreciate that. A lot of my music taste and background comes from when I was playing. I immersed myself so much into playing bass that I went outside the lines and appreciated music genres I never would have thought to like or give a chance to.

Although, to contradict myself, a lot of the stuff I like has caught on over the years and became "cool guy" popular with some bands being big on the Warped Tour or some electronic djs.

But yeah, I'm all over the map. Not so much into finding new music like I used to, but enjoy various styles and artists to keep me busy.

lol.

this post made me laugh pretty good.

I know exactly what you mean with the music hipsters that seem to only like x band or whatever's old stuff. Reminds me of high school and punk where everyone passed around Pennywise, Guttermouth, Screeching Weasel, etc. but there was always the dude that wanted to be too cool for school and make sure he had his Misfits or Black Flag shirt on with elitist pride. Great bands, but you could see through it. Same with Bad Religion and how their new stuff wasn't as good as their old stuff.

Sorry, B, but I feel the same way about the "most of the bands I like nobody has heard of schtick."  Because when one of them gets big I hear the "I was a fan of theirs before they were mainstream." followed by "I don't like them anymore, they sold out, they used to be good."

Then you must like my second post that mentions that.

I'm too old to be cool or music elitist guy. People like what they like, who cares. I'm sure people want to sound individual but really are just a sheep of psuedo individuals that sound lame like you mention.

When I mentioned most people not knowing what I like, I wasn't elitist asshole but rather took the question generally and took into consideration people like Tank that mentions he doesn't know bands I mention. I'm not trying to sound cool. Actually, I'm more impressed Tyler P mentioned or gave me props on explosions in the sky a while back in some music thread. I love that he knows about them.