• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

good on article on Pujols/Cardinals

WallyWorld

There's a good SB Nation article on why people hate the Cardinals and it's partly because of their fans. Their fans have mastered the art of the "humblebrag" and have branded themselves the best fans in baseball when they're really no different from other fanbases.

The Cardinals aren't in the World Series because Pujols departed which seems to be the author's premise. If Pujols were on the team, they'd be in the playoffs with a slightly larger payroll. The article was just an opportunity to basically say, "HAHA you guys are suckers."

I'm not saying that some Cardinals fans aren't still weirdly bitter about Pujols because at least some of them do seem to be, but I do think there's a little bit of a valid storyline there in terms of the current Cardinals.

It gave them the payroll flexibility that they've since used to extend Molina, Wainwright, and Craig(granted, how much of that would or would not have still been done with Pujols there is hard to say). Opened up expanded roles for Craig and Matt Adams. Got them Michael Wacha.

It's been beaten into the ground at this point, especially around these parts(where a lot of us are already grumpy), so to a certain extent I can understand some of the grumpiness going on here, but I do think it's a valid enough storyline(albeit, a very possibly overdone one) in terms for the 2013 Cardinals and their path to where they are now.

Edited by jshep

I haven't read the article yet, but probably nothing new.

As a Cardinals fan, I have mad respect for Albert Pujols and what he did for 11 years in St. Louis.   It wasn't meant to go any longer I guess.

I have no ill or bitter feelings that he left for the Angels.   I wasn't happy when he left, but it didn't take long for me to realize what was for the best, and I've never blamed him for taking the better deal.

I know I'm not every Cardinals fan, but we aren't all butthurt about events of 2 years ago.

I wish Albert luck, hope he has a monster year next year.  I am a big enough fan of him that I come to Angels boards.

The deal he has with the Angels worked out for him, and it worked out for St. Louis.   

on a side note, I really loathe the draft pick stuff. we do it here with trout too. this whole notion that player a leaving got player b is kind of a farce and seems to negate the fact x amount of teams in front could have picked said player.

Yup. 18 teams passed on Wacha before the Cards picked him. Had any of those teams chosen the kid this article never gets written and that master plan doesn't look so planned.

How about this. The Angels didn't top the Yankees offer to keep Teixeira and in doing so got Mike Trout in the draft. Same situation but this time the Angels were the winner and the top bidding Yankees the loser. I think we should look for those articles then post them on a Yankees website all next season and see the reaction. My guess is an account ban after the third time.

The difference is Teixera actually performed well for the yankees for most of his contract, and now his contract is almost over.   Pujols hasnt done shit but cause internal problems and pose at home plat for flyballs that barely make it to the warning track. He is just dead weight for 8 more years.

I wish everyone would move on, both Cardinal fans and Angel fans. Just because the Angels had a train wreck of a year doesn't mean that we are doomed with Albert the next 8 years.  Isn't being a fan hoping for the best? Who knows, he may have a great year next year.

Obviously the organization is limited to what they can do but who knows...maybe we get some good pitching and have less injuries. Sure the Cardinal organization looks good right now (and they have a great legacy) but how many times have pitchers been proclaimed the greatest ever in the playoffs and not panned out in the long run. The Cardinals worth should not be based on Wacca the next few years any more than it should be based on Albert the prior years.  I'd like to see a player's worth be based on something longer than a couple of weeks of the playoffs and a team's worth be based on more than 1 player or lack thereof.

If feeds his need and others to bitch about something in the off season.

won't speak to Wally’s intentions for posting the article. However, the article itself was interesting from the standpoint that even though the Cardinal organization’s original plan was to keep Albert by garnering low cost high yield prospects and smart extensions, knowing the big contract was nearing, actually set itself up to survive quite well without him. The real hero’s here are Mozeliak and Luhnow. It seems to me the only lucky part of this saga was when Albert, with the owner of another team in his ear, made the call to leave. The real story here is how Mozeliak and Luhnow put together this team in three years.      

There's a good SB Nation article on why people hate the Cardinals and it's partly because of their fans. Their fans have mastered the art of the "humblebrag" and have branded themselves the best fans in baseball when they're really no different from other fanbases.

The Cardinals aren't in the World Series because Pujols departed which seems to be the author's premise. If Pujols were on the team, they'd be in the playoffs with a slightly larger payroll. The article was just an opportunity to basically say, "HAHA you guys are suckers."

That's a statement you could no way back up. Pujols on that team for the last two years would have almost certainly changed the dynamics and roster of the current team. I'm not saying they wouldn't have made the playoffs, but you can't say they would have. Also, I don't believe Will wrote the article for the OC Register, but I could be wrong. 

Peyt's mom de-friended him on FB

She got a boyfriend.  Remember, she derided the old husband as a deadbeat dad.

New bf, to be honest looks halfway decent.  But he's also got to be 40 years old and according to his fb page, is an intern at a skateboard shop.

I'm guessing the Men are Pigs posts will start up again around the holidays.  He'll probably dump her to save on buying a christmas gift.

A LOT of fans on this board think that everything revolves around Angels fans.

Dude has no idea this was written for a national website.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing that Will is sitting in front of his computer wringing his hands together in anticipation of giving Anaheim fans the business.

She got a boyfriend.  Remember, she derided the old husband as a deadbeat dad.

New bf, to be honest looks halfway decent.  But he's also got to be 40 years old and according to his fb page, is an intern at a skateboard shop.

I'm guessing the Men are Pigs posts will start up again around the holidays.  He'll probably dump her to save on buying a christmas gift.

You never know, he might give her a shiny new skate key.

At which point she might be doing the dumping this time. 

won't speak to Wally’s intentions for posting the article. However, the article itself was interesting from the standpoint that even though the Cardinal organization’s original plan was to keep Albert by garnering low cost high yield prospects and smart extensions, knowing the big contract was nearing, actually set itself up to survive quite well without him. The real hero’s here are Mozeliak and Luhnow. It seems to me the only lucky part of this saga was when Albert, with the owner of another team in his ear, made the call to leave. The real story here is how Mozeliak and Luhnow put together this team in three years.      

Yup.  Thanks, Jim.  To me it's interesting that they could have their plans changed so drastically and then figure out a way to make it work to their benefit.  Illustrates that sometimes the best move is the one you don't make.  

But by all means, for everyone else, go ahead and keep missing the point and getting caught up in the lame jealousy/envy stuff.

I won't speak to Wally’s intentions for posting the article. However, the article itself was interesting from the standpoint that even though the Cardinal organization’s original plan was to keep Albert by garnering low cost high yield prospects and smart extensions, knowing the big contract was nearing, actually set itself up to survive quite well without him. The real hero’s here are Mozeliak and Luhnow. It seems to me the only lucky part of this saga was when Albert, with the owner of another team in his ear, made the call to leave. The real story here is how Mozeliak and Luhnow put together this team in three years.

That's the thing I took from it as well. Pujols didn't even need to be mentioned and he did it like he was in the front office. They built a team through the draft. Not exactly reinventing the wheel here. Their picks have worked out.

Wally, why is this article depressing for Angels fans? Really has little to do with the Angels and most teams have not has the string of success of drafting that the Cards have had. 

This organization isn't as far from contending as what many people have been saying they are. 

Congrats to the Cards as they have been doing a great job drafting but it is very likely that they are playing Game 1 tonight with him on the roster. 

I personally thought the article just stated the obvious. 

The difference is Teixera actually performed well for the yankees for most of his contract, and now his contract is almost over. Pujols hasnt done shit but cause internal problems and pose at home plat for flyballs that barely make it to the warning track. He is just dead weight for 8 more years.

Just confirming, did you just say tex has performed well for most of his contract?.....did I read that correctly?

That's a statement you could no way back up. Pujols on that team for the last two years would have almost certainly changed the dynamics and roster of the current team. I'm not saying they wouldn't have made the playoffs, but you can't say they would have. Also, I don't believe Will wrote the article for the OC Register, but I could be wrong. 

How would their team be any different? Perhaps they don't sign Beltran but that doesn't keep them out of the playoffs. The author's premise that they wouldn't have money to extend both Molina and Wainwright is just ridiculous.

The funny thing about all this is that St. Louis offered Pujols a ridiculous contract and would have looked like idiots if the Angels hadn't swooped in.