• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Jury Duty

Years ago in college, I postponed jury duty because of a conflict with school.

They responded by scheduling me during the winter break.  Since then, every Jury Duty summons I've received has been scheduled between December 17 and January 3.  Every single one of them.  This happens on either 2 or 3 year intervals and yesterday, I received my sixth summons for the Christmas season, this time for call-in beginning December 17 for five days.

I thought prospective jurors were supposed to be randomly selected?  How is it I'm on such a predictable schedule?  This is Orange County by the way. 

So you don't look like the new kid in the county jail when they get serious about you skipping jury duty.

So they're releasing people early and reconfiguring a lot of jails to support the prison population (which isn't going away any tine soon since prison is a multibillion dollar industry) but they are going to make sure people that don't go to jury duty have a place? The state can never prove you got a non-certified piece of mail.

Weird how I stopped getting those after I responded that my profession is Police Officer...

I feel sorry for jurors.  They are forced to spend a lot of their time, judging cases with barely any legal advice from the legal system, for peanuts.  

i don't mind doing jury duty as long as it doesn't conflict with teaching. used to be that teachers could get their duty postponed until summer, but those days are gone. two years ago we had a teacher that out for three or four weeks on a murder case, and it really disrupted things in her room to have a sub for that long.

couple years ago i was called and had to show up. didn't call so i was excused from any more duty. about 8 months later i got another summons for jury duty. filled out the form saying i'd been summoned less than a year ago, zeroxed the form they give you so you can prove you served, and mailed it in. got a threatening letter saying i still had to report anyway. never did, and they never followed up.

I get summoned every 2 years or so.  Gives me a chance to check out a different restaurant in SA.  A few years ago I tried this Venezuelan place called Mil Jugos, walking distance from the courthouse.  Pretty good.

I've been pulled for Jury Duty only one time where I actually had to go down to the courthouse.

When the defense attorney asked me my profession, I said Poker Player. When he asked me if I could spot tells (body language) I responded that the tongue jut he just gave at the conclusion of his question told me that he had already made up his mind to excuse me, he was just looking for the reason to be able to. He turned to the judge asked for me to be dismissed and the judge approved it among a courtroom full of chuckling.

I haven't been asked back since.

Weird how I stopped getting those after I responded that my profession is Police Officer...

I feel sorry for jurors.  They are forced to spend a lot of their time, judging cases with barely any legal advice from the legal system, for peanuts.  

Getting peanuts would be a raise.

I used to get them when I was in college, but never had to report. I'm not sure if my folks contacted the courthouse to say I was living out of the area or not.

I've only gotten one summons, earlier this year, since moving back to OC in 2009.

I of course ignored it, and never heard back.

I've always ignored them until the last one I got...a year ago or so. Maybe less... I was interested in seeing the process. It was very exciting. I sat in a crowded room with hundreds of others playing poker on my iPhone for about 5 hours before being dismissed.