• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Phil Hughes anyone?

Agalloch

I haven't heard much discussion about him and he's a guy I would definitely take a flyer on. Everyone's saying how a change of scenery could be good for him so why not move him to one of the most pitcher friendly ballparks in the MLB? He said he's willing to convert into a reliever so at the very least we could sign him for the pen and move him to the rotation if any of our guys gets injured. He won't cost a draft pick or be too expensive. Thoughts?

Edited by Agalloch

We are going to have to take chances with talents like Hughes unless the owner is willing to pay the luxury tax.

Exactly why I'd look to take him, he's cheap and who knows if Arte is willing to go over.

I think Arte is going to have to accept the luxury tax if he wants to compete in 2014. Plain and simple.

I agree, but is he? That's the question.

I would definitely take a flyer on him for all the reasons you mentioned, agalloch.  He's still young (only 27) and has a live arm; he's versatile, in that he can start or come out of the bullpen; and he wouldn't cost us a draft pick.  He's local, too.  

His record at Yankee Stadium last year was 1-10; his ERA over 6.  

On the road his record was 3-4; ERA 3.88.

What do we have to lose?    

Better option than Hughes would be Arroyo.  Hughes looked to have the talent but never put it together.  Gives up a ton of hits/BB and his WHIP is frigtening.  I think there may be better options out there than Hughes.  The Yankees are equally as desperate for pitching and they dont even want him anymore.

Exactly why I'd look to take him, he's cheap and who knows if Arte is willing to go over.

I agree, but is he? That's the question.

That is the question.  If the Angels don't get Tanaka and Arte refuses to go over the Luxury Tax, I can see the Angels signing Hughes to be the teams #3.

If that happens, we have to hope his numbers will be a lot better at the Big A than they were in Yankee stadium.

His record at Yankee Stadium last year was 1-10; his ERA over 6.  

On the road his record was 3-4; ERA 3.88.

What do we have to lose?    

This is what makes him interesting for the Angels.  If for some reason the Angels can't resign Vargas, Hughes would be a decent #4 for the the rotation, but if the Angels sign Vargas, you have to try to get someone better for the #3 spot.

Edited by Jim B

In 2012 he was actually worse away from Yankees Stadium. The idea that he would pitch better in a pitchers park is not misguided, but I think a little overstated. We all thought Wilson would be better than he was in Texas but he's been worse. We also thought Blanton and Hanson could be serviceable in this park but they weren't.

If the Angels have absolutely no other options available, and he comes cheap then I have no problem with it.

I would actually consider Arroyo. He has a habit of getting lit up every once in a while for 6+ runs but other than that he pitches pretty well, eats innings, and doesn't walk guys. Looking at his game log from this past year, in his starts from June onward, he gave up 6+ runs 4 times, and in the other 17 starts he gave up 3 runs or fewer. I can definitely live with that from a #5 starter.

Again, the Angels need to get younger, not older. No to Arroyo.

They need to get better however it may be.

Sure, we'd all prefer a young power arm, but there's none really available. We picked a great time to need pitching.

I (like you) wouldn't be ecstatic to get an arroyo, but if he wasn't too expensive, and an upgrade to what we currently have, it would be far better than not getting him.

Stat Wise for Hughes.

2013 1.46 WHIP, 5.19 ERA

Career 1.32 WHIP, 4.54 ERA

IMO, if you get Hughes, it's to replace Vargas.

2013 1.39 WHIP, 4.02 ERA

Career 1.32 WHIP, 4.30 ERA

It looks closer, but in 2013 Hughes had 29 starts, and only 145.2 IP.  That's an average of about 5 IP per start.  Also Hughes makes Santana proud in the good/bad years.  

IMO, Hughes is like a last resort.