• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Social media Peyt's Mom peeves

This one is from 2011 - December 25:

I know you shouldn't announce karma points you've earned, but...13 hours of hosting my ex-husband for "the kids sake"...and then having to hear his reasons why he didn't take a job that he was offered after being unemployed for a year and a half...yep, it wasn't an awful day, but, seriously, big time karma points...

My father turned down several lucrative offers for over a year after leaving Rockwell. He wanted to get out of Aerospace and finally accepted a VP position at a company unrelated to Aerospace. It folded up shop a couple years later and he eventually moved on to a VP position at an Aerospace company in Michigan. It was like the Godfather, every time he tried to get away they kept pulling him back.

I'm sure Peyt's father is trying to distance himself from Sanitation Engineering. Eventually the smell of Lysol will beckon and he will go back to work.

It always feels weird when you are unemployed and turn down a job. I've done it before, but I'm unmarried with no children, so at least I've always been the only one impacted. I was unemployed for just under three months the last time and turned down two offers during that time. One was because they wanted me to work 11 hour days, 6 days per week. I told them I'd do 5 days a week at 11 hours per day, but 6 was a hard no. The second was a solid offer; but after talking with people I knew on the project, I decided it was a bit too "corporate" for me (I made that mistake once and just hated it). The third offer I got was perfect. Slightly less money than the second, but it was closer to home, offered a tremendous work environment, and I ended up loving the actual day-to-day of what I do. Did I feel guilty about turning down the first two at the time? Absolutely. Am I glad I did turn them down? Absolutely.

Edited by Don

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me of a line from one of my favorite movies, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life:

Mother: Is it a boy or a girl?

Doctor: I believe it's a little early to begin imposing roles on it, don't you?

They were way ahead of their time.

My wife and 3 of her friends went to lunch today and she posted a picture of the four of them sitting at the table and within 3 hours the pictures of 4 women sitting at a booth at PF Chang had 20 likes. I don't get it. So I guess my social media pet peeve is social media.

Liking PF Changs is silly.

It doesn't annoy me since I don't do Facebook. I just don't get why 20+ people felt the need to like the picture.

Stuff like that is pretty standard practice on FB.

One time I posted that I was sick with bronchitis and had 9 people like my post. Did that mean they were happy I was sick? It was weird.

Most of my (male) friends don't do facebook.  My young adult kids rarely go on fb any more.  So my fb is cluttered with aging women (I'm 51) who are wives of my friends, or my wife's friends, etc.

So I see so many pictures like Arch Stanton describes. 

Its a bummer.  I like the fb concept.  I want to see interesting.  I don't post that much, but if I do, I try to make it interesting.  But you know who, in general, isn't interesting?  50 year old women.  So my fb has tons of pictures of women sitting around a restaurant.  Or inspirational posts.  Or some complaint, and then 20 hens agreeing.