• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

UCLA Football Thread

nate

Meadors should do it for this class.  Hopefully Smith still comes.  Very good class.  Wish the DL and WRs were deeper.  Hopefully Broadus is good.  Scout/Rivals see him as a fringe 4 star solid 3 star but ESPN puts him in the top 200 lol.

What an entertaining day for UCLA and USC fans. I think they won the signing day championships. And with Sark as coach, that will be the only championship they win.

This also makes me incredibly jealous that you guys can pull so many high recruits, whereas Oregon seems to hover around the 20s every year despite its recent success. Of course, Tennessee and Texas always seem to be in the top 10 recruiting, yet Texas has been mediocre at best since McCoy left and Tennessee hasn't done anything in about 15 years.

Yeah, Merritt was a nice get for us this week. I see the Ducks using him like they currently use Marshall who ran for over 1000 yards in 2013 only to transition primarily to WR and get over 1000 receiving yards this year. Our offensive coaches certainly do a great job, if only we had a DC that didn't rush three 90% of the time.

Perhaps our biggest get though would be Vernon Adams if he chooses to transfer from Eastern Washington. That would certainly make us the favorites in the North going into the season.

SECSPN is funny.  It is obvious they don't pay attention to the P12.  First when Soso committed they acted like the Bruins had no RBs...  Paul Perkins lead the P12 in rushing this year.  Then they were saying that the Rose Bowl is a disadvantage...

that's why I said DK is an idiot

Oregon has two things going against them.

First they are not in Southern California or the SEC.  Second, they don't run an offense that translates well to the NFL.

The Eagles have been pretty success with it. They are the only team that has ever attempted it that I can recall. A lot of teams run similar offenses (the Seahawks and 49ers for example) just without the tempo. Of course, those teams also have power run formations that Oregon does not. With that said, Oregon's skill position players  haven't done a whole lot in the NFL, though pretty much every starting RB we have had since the millennium has made the NFL, nobody really did or has done much: Maurice Morris, Onterrio Smith, Jonathan Stewart, Jeremiah Johnson, LaGarette Blount, LaMichael James, Kenjon Barner, DeAnthony Thomas. Our defensive players have done pretty well though: Ngata, Kiko Alonso, TJ Ward, Byrd, Chung.

Lastly, UCLA currently runs a very similar offense.

If Ulbrich bounces

Maybe Mora gives Ken Norton Jr a call? Who are the early names?

I think Pendergast is probably going to be the top target.  KNJ could be one too.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

The other thing is that Tui was the LB coach with Brick the DC but I don't think Tui was really much of a LB coach.  Just another coach there to recruit.  Without Brick you need a strong LB coach, which would make KNJ make a lot of sense.

Too bad Fangio got another NFL job so quick, he would have been perfect :P.

So apparently Quinn asked Mora for permission to talk to Ulbrich last night.  Mora said no but Quinn called anyway.  BS move IMO.

The Eagles have been pretty success with it. They are the only team that has ever attempted it that I can recall. A lot of teams run similar offenses (the Seahawks and 49ers for example) just without the tempo. Of course, those teams also have power run formations that Oregon does not. With that said, Oregon's skill position players  haven't done a whole lot in the NFL, though pretty much every starting RB we have had since the millennium has made the NFL, nobody really did or has done much: Maurice Morris, Onterrio Smith, Jonathan Stewart, Jeremiah Johnson, LaGarette Blount, LaMichael James, Kenjon Barner, DeAnthony Thomas. Our defensive players have done pretty well though: Ngata, Kiko Alonso, TJ Ward, Byrd, Chung.

Lastly, UCLA currently runs a very similar offense.

UCLA runs a spread but it is more like a NFL spread.  Oregon has a lot of small speedy athletic players that don't do well in the NFL.  When you look at the Oregon OL, they only have to block for a second before the ball is out, or they run simple run blocking schemes because of the pace.  The NFL looks for more technique.

Also, the Eagles struggled a bit with that offense.  Problem is when you practice and play at that pace you get a lot of injuries and the depth in the NFL is not like in college.  Plus you are always playing against big fast defenses.

UCLA runs a spread but it is more like a NFL spread.  Oregon has a lot of small speedy athletic players that don't do well in the NFL.  When you look at the Oregon OL, they only have to block for a second before the ball is out, or they run simple run blocking schemes because of the pace.  The NFL looks for more technique.

Also, the Eagles struggled a bit with that offense.  Problem is when you practice and play at that pace you get a lot of injuries and the depth in the NFL is not like in college.  Plus you are always playing against big fast defenses.

Oregon has recently produced Unger and Long, two of the top offensive lineman at their positions... As for the Eagles, Sanchez started half the season and they still finished 5th in yards and 3rd in scoring. 

Lots of info on Scout today but this one stands out.  Recruiting is so dirty.

It's very likely that Georgia knew about Ulbrich and the Falcons, and they intended to only use that card if Smith verbally committed to UCLA.  Once he did, sources are saying that connections in Georgia got the Ulbrich information leaked.

Of course the Falcons FO is full of UGA alums.

Lots of info on Scout today but this one stands out. Recruiting is so dirty.

It's very likely that Georgia knew about Ulbrich and the Falcons, and they intended to only use that card if Smith verbally committed to UCLA. Once he did, sources are saying that connections in Georgia got the Ulbrich information leaked.

Of course the Falcons FO is full of UGA alums.

There was somebody on the UCLA end that knew about Ulbrich and the Falcons and didn't say a thing at all, no? Recruiting is filthy.

College revenue sports in general are slimy. Look at what 'cuse is trying to pull with this basketball season.

There was somebody on the UCLA end that knew about Ulbrich and the Falcons and didn't say a thing at all, no? Recruiting is filthy.

Supposedly no. He was offered the job Tuesday . Mora didn't know. Then leaked Wednesday afternoon from fox sports I believe.

I feel like Pete Carroll told quinn offer brich the job Tuesday (is it me or was ulbrich under CPC for a year at seattle?). Leak it Wednesday. NBC sports just reported brich is gone Btw 4hrs ago.

who knows maybe ucla can upgrade? Although I feel ulbrich improved as the yr went on. He was learning on the job.

Yeah Ulbrich the DC was not spectacular.  It was his first year.  As a LB coach and recruiter he is amazing.

As for what Rally said.  I do agree it is wrong to take a job and not tell recruits but everyone including Ulbrich is saying is that Mora denied Quinn contact to Ulbrich but Quinn did it anyway and Brick didn't tell Mora.  Mora is very pissed.

Pendergast would be a huge upgrade coaching wise but they would need to replace him on the recruiting side. KNJ or Tony White if they came in as a high paid LB coach would be perfect.  All speculation at this point, nobody has confirmed that Ulbrich is actually taking the job.

Carroll and Mora have a pretty good relationship so I would be surprised if it was him.  Then again Quinn and Brick did too yet they still pulled this shit.

Supposedly no. He was offered the job Tuesday . Mora didn't know. Then leaked Wednesday afternoon from fox sports I believe.

I feel like Pete Carroll told quinn offer brich the job Tuesday (is it me or was ulbrich under CPC for a year at seattle?). Leak it Wednesday. NBC sports just reported brich is gone Btw 4hrs ago.

who knows maybe ucla can upgrade? Although I feel ulbrich improved as the yr went on. He was learning on the job.

The person I'm referring to as having known is Ulbrich. Mora being pissed is kinda irrelevant as to whether or not somebody didn't say anything. He should command respect and honesty. Tedford ultimately didn't, and that didn't go well. Edited by RallyMo