• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Obamacare/Trumpcare Horror Stories

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just received this Email 30 minutes ago from Anthem. It begins...

"Safeguarding your personal, financial and medical information is one of our top priorities, and because of that, we have state-of-the-art information security systems to protect your data. However, despite our efforts, Anthem Blue Cross was the target of a very sophisticated external cyber attack. These attackers gained unauthorized access to Anthem’s IT system and have obtained personal information from our current and former members such as their names, birthdays, medical IDs/social security numbers, street addresses, email addresses and employment information, including income data. Based on what we know now, there is no evidence that credit card or medical information (such as claims, test results or diagnostic codes) were targeted or compromised."

Up to 80 million people could be affected. Unbelievable...

I just received this Email 30 minutes ago from Anthem. It begins...

"Safeguarding your personal, financial and medical information is one of our top priorities, and because of that, we have state-of-the-art information security systems to protect your data. However, despite our efforts, Anthem Blue Cross was the target of a very sophisticated external cyber attack. These attackers gained unauthorized access to Anthem’s IT system and have obtained personal information from our current and former members such as their names, birthdays, medical IDs/social security numbers, street addresses, email addresses and employment information, including income data. Based on what we know now, there is no evidence that credit card or medical information (such as claims, test results or diagnostic codes) were targeted or compromised."

Up to 80 million people could be affected. Unbelievable...

yeah, i'm sure they only wanted names and birthdays.  why on earth would they want credit card information?

I am crawling out of my hole to give an update...

In business and especially project management I believe it is always a bad idea to make assumptions. If you are making an assumption you are at a high risk of being unprepared. Unfortunately with CMS' lack of communication and collaboration we are forced into making several assumptions.

The communication or lack there of with the Exchange is so absurd and irritating. Much of what they do is barely tested, stuff that in a normal enterprise environment would take months of testing is tested by them for at most a week before implemented and it is all done internally, issuers have little or no testing ability with the Exchange. On top of that there is little or no documentation outside of small legal "bulletins" that are released about once a month. In fact we are up to bulletin 11 and there was no bulletin 5 or 9.

The lack of testing is really hurting my company because as we found out, three days into open enrollment, they consider changing from a PPO to a Managed Care PPO changing issuers. What this means is they consider it the same as if you went from Blue Cross to Kaiser, even though you are staying within the same company, just changing products.

Many tasks are involved in changing issuers, including requiring a new binder payment, and assigning all new ID numbers for these members. Our IT systems require special setup to accommodate these requirements and they were not in place so we are currently holding all enrollment for a subset of our membership while we urgently setup to meet these requirements. We are working around the clock to get done in less than a week what would normally take a month. Some of this is self inflicted in that they are IT limitations that might not exist in other issuers systems, but the fact stands that if we were able to do any testing at all or if we were given any documentation we could have been more prepared for this. It is also an incredibly poor customer service action to give members who are staying with the same issuer all new ID numbers, it means they have to re-setup their auto payment and online logins, etc.

On top of this all the customer service team on the exchange side is garbage. They do not have access to the enrollment database at the exchange and many times the requests we get are against their own rules and guidance. The commonly misspell names and do not have access to ID numbers or other information that is necessary to look up these members. To this day our enrollment and billing teams still do not have a way of sending in "tickets" to the exchange which take a minimum of two weeks to get a response and at times they take 6+ weeks and the response we get is out dated or useless. They have nobody to call or email to get direction on a member urgently.

I know my we will ultimately be successful this year because I have an amazing team of people working for me. I personally worked about 32 of 40 hours earlier this week and many of my direct reports did the same to solution for the garbage we have encountered.

So think about that when you guys read all the horror stories of Open Enrollment 2015. Renewal will be a whole different monster, much of the renewal decisions have not even been finalized by CMS yet, and renewal tasks have to be completed between 12/16 and 12/31. This year for Christmas I will be flying home from the east coast on Christmas eve and flying back the morning of 12/26.

tl;dr FML

CMS is a joke. I along with another programmer had to reprogram a portion of the prescriptions software at work in 2006 per CMS changes.

The number of months the rollout of it was delayed thanks to CMS was almost a year.