• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Obamacare/Trumpcare Horror Stories

I've been receiving calls from a number in the 978 area code (Massachusetts) purporting to be from Anthem Blue Cross, asking me to answer some questions about my health. The robocall voice (female) tells me it's required by my health care plan, and they REALLY need to hear from me as soon as possible. These calls are coming in every day. They direct me to call an 855 toll-free number.

I am NOT returning these calls. No way.

Google the phone number and see what people are saying.

I am not aware of any required survey as part of Obamacare plans.  In fact since there is no underwriting anymore I can't imagine it would be anything other than spam/fraud.

Yeah, I looked around and there are several sites discussing this phone number. It's not totally clear yet what's going on here. Some people are saying they are being asked to schedule appointments for preventive care like mammograms, colonoscopy and the like. It's an automated 'survey' of your state of health. I'm not giving any answers about my health (or any personal information) over the telephone to a robot at an 855 phone number.

This smells. They also call at night and on Sundays. That's a red flag right there.

Yeah, I looked around and there are several sites discussing this phone number. It's not totally clear yet what's going on here. Some people are saying they are being asked to schedule appointments for preventive care like mammograms, colonoscopy and the like. It's an automated 'survey' of your state of health. I'm not giving any answers about my health (or any personal information) over the telephone to a robot at an 855 phone number.

This smells. They also call at night and on Sundays. That's a red flag right there.

Reminds me of telemarketers who can't fathom why I don't make business deals with strangers over the phone...

• 3 weeks later...

Yep.  Basically, insurers didn't know what to expect so when they filed for 2014 they just took a shot in the dark.

Since CMS basically made the rules so members can do whatever they want and screw the insurer over, rates are going to rise.

One issue we are running into is that even though we have contracts with doctors under the Obamacare networks, they are telling patients that they do not cover Obamacare plans.  It causes the members to get really pissed at us for "lying" to them about the doctor being covered.

So we have to call the doctors and set them straight.  It is all such a huge pain.

By the way, it is almost June and we still have not received any kind of reconciliation from the exchange to confirm what we have matches what they have.  We never hear back from them on any inquiries into coverage, and they still haven't figured out all the rules yet.

It goes into a pool to pay claims.  It also goes toward overhead.  Implementation of this costs tens of millions of dollars due to the complexity of it.  Computer systems do not just magically support all the rules.

Also, overall, premiums are not up for everyone.  Fat unhealthy people are paying less.  It is mostly healthy people that are paying a ton more in premium, same with small companies with healthy populations of employees.

Many of those young, healthy people could end up opting out of the system and simply pay the penalty. That will put an even greater burden on the insurers. There were reports yesterday that the administration is prepared to bail out the companies (with taxpayer money, of course) to keep them afloat.

Edited by fan_since79

That is one of the problems.  Mostly unhealthy people signing up.

Another problem is that the open enrollment period was for five months of coverage so people would sign up for January, pay their first month, incur a ton of claims and then cancel their coverage only to come back again in May.  So we lose out on four months of premium.  There is a reason why open enrollment is usually only for one effective date ie: January 1st.

The disgraced former director of Covered Oregon is still drawing a salary of over $14,000 a month even though he resigned. It's all a numbers game with his accrued vacation time and moving him around in different job titles.

The site cost $248 million to develop and never got off the ground. There were zero enrollments, and it will cost approx. $40 million to switch over to the federal site, much of it federal taxpayer money.

The state is under federal criminal investigation over the whole mess.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/05/long_after_publicized_resignat.html

Meanwhile...I am still without health insurance (which I had before the ACA went into effect).

Today, I contacted the doctor I was once able to see in the hopes that he might have some ideas as to how I can obtain my migraine medication without it being crazy costly.  Without insurance, it will cost me close to $300 for 10 - 18 pills.  I'm hoping my old doctor has some samples around of any migraine meds.  Before the ACA, I could purchase 60 pills for $40.  I imagine the cost will only go higher as people like me subsidized the people using the ACA who pay nothing or little.

Thanks to President Obama, I am in the position where I must deal with migraines which in turn has effected my work and caused me to lose money.  Which in turn makes it impossible for me to afford health insurance.  When I feel a migraine coming on, I must determine how bad a migraine might result.  If I think it will be an 8-10 on the pain scale, I take my pill.  Otherwise, I try to get through it and take a sleeping pill as soon as I get home.

I literally count my precious migraine pills.  I am down to eight. 

$240 million would buy a lifetime of migraine meds.  My President is a major league a-hole whom I wish had to deal with my migraines with no medication.

So far we only seem to have one person on Angelswin that has successfully signed up and paid premiums through the government controlled health care. I would like to see the numbers as to how many participants are actually paying full fare for their health care premiums as opposed to subsidized.

It may just be one.