• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Erick Aybar is replaceable

Docwaukee

I rarely disagree with you Doc, but here is one case.

Thinking of the situation logically, we would be trading a shortstop to a team in need of a shortstop, presumably because their either a) can't get one elsewhere or B) are getting a good deal.

This in turn leaves the Angels without a shortstop, and in the same shoes as the team we dealt Aybar to had been.

Romine is not a solution to this ultimate problem. He is at best a backup and probably a lesser option at short than Jerome Williams is as the 5th starter. 

I think your situation or scenario needs to be a little bit more specific.  ie, it needs to be relative to what player you get in return replaces. 

So yes, if we traded Aybar we would be in a similar position as the team we traded him to, but what would be the upgrade?  An therein lies my point.  If Aybar nets you a SP that is of substantial upgrade to what you would get in trade for kendrick, bourjos, or trumbo or signing a free agent that more than offsets the loss of said player and their replacement then you consider it. 

I personally feel that Aybar's trade value is much higher than any of the other players and that what we would get in return would offset his loss AND that he actually hasn't brought as much value to the team as some might think so his replacement wouldn't have to do as much as people think to additionally make up for him not being there. 

In other words, even though a guy like Romine might seem like a replacement player on the surface because he isn't a very good hitter and has little pop, his speed, defense and ability to get on base would come a lot closer to replacing Erick than people think.  And a free agent like Drew would give us a similar value player, yet we would also have a better and younger SP (obtained for Aybar) than anyone we could get on the free agent market.  Two years of Drew at 7mil per and a SP via trade is more economical than Aybar and spending 90mil on Garza.  It makes the team younger and doesn't further bog down payroll. 

Edited by Dochalo

To put Doc's words in mathematical terms:

1) You start with situation A.

2) Subtract B from A (A-B)

3) Add C to the remainder (A-B+C) which gives a final value of D

4) If D is greater than A, you make the trade.

5) If you didn't follow that logic train add another D and you will have ADD.

I understand the point on the surface that Aybar is hardly a star SS and that make him theoretically replaceable, but who would actually replace him? Have you seen the FA market for SS this winter:

Clint Barmes (35)
Willie Bloomquist (36)
Jamey Carroll (40) - $2MM vesting option with a $250K buyout
Alexi Casilla (29)
Stephen Drew (31)
Yunel Escobar (31) - $5MM club option
Rafael Furcal (36)
Alex Gonzalez (36)
Cesar Izturis (34)
Derek Jeter (40) - $8MM+ player option with a $3MM buyout
John McDonald (39)
Jhonny Peralta (32)
Brendan Ryan (32)

That leaves the Angels having to trade prospects they don't have to replace him or use Romine who can't hit at all.

I'm not opposed to trading Aybar, it is just really bad timing to do try and do so.

I understand the point on the surface that Aybar is hardly a star SS and that make him theoretically replaceable, but who would actually replace him? Have you seen the FA market for SS this winter:

Clint Barmes (35)

Willie Bloomquist (36)

Jamey Carroll (40) - $2MM vesting option with a $250K buyout

Alexi Casilla (29)

Stephen Drew (31)

Yunel Escobar (31) - $5MM club option

Rafael Furcal (36)

Alex Gonzalez (36)

Cesar Izturis (34)

Derek Jeter (40) - $8MM+ player option with a $3MM buyout

John McDonald (39)

Jhonny Peralta (32)

Brendan Ryan (32)

That leaves the Angels having to trade prospects they don't have to replace him or use Romine who can't hit at all.

I'm not opposed to trading Aybar, it is just really bad timing to do try and do so.

I would agree with this. Aybar still has above average defense at SS, above average speed, and can put the ball in play on a regular basis.

The thing that I am concerned about is how much longer can he continue to give us above average value? It seems like he slipped slightly on the defensive and base stealing side this year and part of that might be BABIP related but overall now might be a good time to move him if possible if the trade really improved the team enough to balance out his loss at SS.

Many of you talk about Andrew Romine being a possible replacement but I would also suggest Tommy Field. Both are above average defensive options with Field's bat being a bit better while Romine probably has a touch more speed.

If losing Aybar and replacing them with one of these nets us a young, cost-controlled starting pitcher plus ? I think you'd have to seriously consider it.

I would agree with this. Aybar still has above average defense at SS, above average speed, and can put the ball in play on a regular basis.

The thing that I am concerned about is how much longer can he continue to give us above average value? It seems like he slipped slightly on the defensive and base stealing side this year and part of that might be BABIP related but overall now might be a good time to move him if possible if the trade really improved the team enough to balance out his loss at SS.

Many of you talk about Andrew Romine being a possible replacement but I would also suggest Tommy Field. Both are above average defensive options with Field's bat being a bit better while Romine probably has a touch more speed.

If losing Aybar and replacing them with one of these nets us a young, cost-controlled starting pitcher plus ? I think you'd have to seriously consider it.

thats allz im sayin

The plus is his contract is affordable.  I'm just afraid of what we will have at SS if he gets traded.  

But after saying that.  With Jeter turning to absolute glass.  Makes me wonder what the Yankees would give for him.  

This is similar to the Trumbo, Bourjos, Kendrick, Calhoun, Shuck, Cowgill and anyone else that is a possible trade candidate.  If above value is offered, you have to listen, and if a team gets desperate like the Yanks might, you might be able to fleece them.  But if equal or lower value is offered, then you just wait and keep what you have.

I'm sure the Yankees would give up Phil Hughes + Joba Chamberlain for him.