• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Should the Angels try to sign Trout now to a 10 year contract?

Bruce Nye

That's proof alone to how screwed up WAR is as a stat or whatever it is in reality.

You think that was just some made up number? Every good player in the league is making 25 million per year now through FA, for 1 WAR as a player, that nets you about 4.5 million dollars. Trout was worth 45 million last year, and will be worth 44 this year according to fWAR http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=10155&position=OF#value

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

He is not that dumb!

You guys who think that Trout would want to wait for FA obviously believe injury is not a possibility. Yes, know it may not be likely but it is seriously possible. So much so you can't possibly leave a big contract on the table and wait!

You're a 100% correct but that analogy works both ways . I think Got Beer is on the right track with a six year offer if you can save money through the arbitration years .

Scary thought for a team paying three players around $75M per year ... especially if Trout craps out.

You're a 100% correct but that analogy works both ways . I think Got Beer is on the right track with a six year offer if you can save money through the arbitration years .

Scary thought for a team paying three players around $75M per year ... especially if Trout craps out.

Only way he craps out is due to injury. There can't be any more ''he's going to regress'' comments. He's the best player in baseball history through his age 21 season according to WAR, and the guys on that list are all Hall of Famers, so you can't pull that ''WAR is bullshit'' comment.

I believe war has some merit, but I think the dollar value per win in war is silly. I'm not going to pretend I know much about war but to say each win is worth 4.5 million dollars just seems arbitrary at best. Can someone explain how they came up with this? Did they take all of the war of players, then add up their contracts and come up with that?

Through the first two years of significant action, offensively who was the better player?  Trout or Howard?  

This is the problem the Angels will face.  Players are not superstars forever.  It's a question of when their declines begins.  And as I posted a while ago, when you look at superstar players, their shelflife is usually no more than 8 years, sometimes 10.  Unless you are chemically enhanced.  Look at the stats of any superstar, count up their prime years, and not their decline years.  Trout is in year 2, and I'd rather pay him one year short, than 2+ long.    

Baseball is an unpredictable sport.  

I believe war has some merit, but I think the dollar value per win in war is silly. I'm not going to pretend I know much about war but to say each win is worth 4.5 million dollars just seems arbitrary at best. Can someone explain how they came up with this? Did they take all of the war of players, then add up their contracts and come up with that?

Something like that. 4.5 sounds reasonable, look at how many guys are being paid 15 million for a 2-3 WAR year in and year out. 13.5 mil a year for 3 WAR sounds right.

Through the first two years of significant action, offensively who was the better player?  Trout or Howard?  

This is the problem the Angels will face.  Players are not superstars forever.  It's a question of when their declines begins.  And as I posted a while ago, when you look at superstar players, their shelflife is usually no more than 8 years, sometimes 10.  Unless you are chemically enhanced.  Look at the stats of any superstar, count up their prime years, and not their decline years.  Trout is in year 2, and I'd rather pay him one year short, than 2+ long.    

Baseball is an unpredictable sport.  

Trout is also only 22 years old. Big difference than if he were say, 25.

Show me amazing defense

Done last year.

Show me at least 10 OF assists

This isn't warranted.

Show me 50 stolen bases

Done last year.

Show me 120+ RBI's

He needs his #1 and #2 hitter to get on base and not have a combined OBP of .305 (plus he's played in the #1 and #2 spot all year)

Show me 120+ runs scored

Done last year in 134 games.

Show me clutch hitting

Agreed with this one, but it'll come.

Show me some walk off winning hits

I'd rather Trout get on base in these situations (like he always does) instead of trying to hit a 5 run homer and being a hero. He sticks to his gameplan in every at bat, getting on base.

and I'll show you $25-30M dollars!

Were lucky you aren't a GM of a baseball organization.

In bold.

Show me amazing defense

Show me at least 10 OF assists

Show me 50 stolen bases

Show me 120+ RBI's

Show me 120+ runs scored

Show me clutch hitting

Show me some walk off winning hits

and I'll show you $25-30M dollars!

Good thing Trout's never had 50 SB's a season.  And this year, he will be lucky to get 35.  

I think if you're Mike Trout you say  - no.  He has the potential of someone that can break the $30 million/yr. salary.  If he signs a 10/$120 he loses money maybe in his arb. years.

It's more understandable from the Angels perspective.  They want to tie up their superstar for 10 years.

Discuss

Obviously.

What? Boras isn't even Trout's agent? Or are you talking in general? That isn't really how arbitration works though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ys-maurybrownarbitration011910

In general.  You give Trout $25-30 million in arbitration, and it will be an enourmous tsunami sized ripple through all future arbitration cases.  Guys who are only half as good as Trout, may then say they are worth $15 million in arbitration.  Howard set the bar, and every arbitration case uses that bar.  If the Angels gave Trout what he wanted, it could make arbitration years unaffordable for teams.  

Could that article have chosen a worse font color? Holy christ.

Players and agents can request whatever amount they want during arbitration. Ideally they look at the deal being offered and say "no I think we can do better" and when they can't reach a deal they go to a hearing. As the article states, that can go both ways, either in favor of the player or the team, so in its own right it's a risky decision. If he wants to balk at a 10/200 offer then so be it. I would be shocked if the panel felt he was worth more than a 3,500% increase in salary, regardless of how great he is.