• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

WTF is with this bleeping weather?

We've had some really funky weather up here the past few days. After a warm few weeks and a beautiful Easter day...it's been cold and miserable with sudden, out of nowhere, snow and hail in the afternoons all this week. Frost in the mornings.

More like late fall than early spring...

But... supposed to warm up after today.

The good news for all you So Cals is that there has been plenty more snow up high the last few days.

I can't help it if only 5 inches have fallen in Tustin since November. Then again, it's a familiar refrain for 5 years now.

"So now it isn't enough that the southland got rain yesterday because Tustin wasn't affected? Dude you are impossible to please."

-Mother Nature

Just give me something other than 5 years of weather boredom, that doesn't involve an arc or hurricane force winds.  

And Adam, I get liking the great weather.    Just not almost every single day for the past 5 years.

Variety is a good thing too (as long as it isn't Denver like).

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just give me something other than 5 years of weather boredom, that doesn't involve an arc or hurricane force winds.

And Adam, I get liking the great weather. Just not almost every single day for the past 5 years.

Variety is a good thing too (as long as it isn't Denver like).

Move and commute. Sounds like Homebrewer gets a ton of weather where he lives. How do you feel about a five hour each way commute daily AO?

My sister in law moved to Portland last year. Her husband told me that there was 5 straight days of unstoppable torrential rain a couple months ago and he had to sandbag his backyard so his kitchen wouldn't end up a bathtub. Lovely scenery though.

All I know is, SoCal winters USED to have enough variety through early 2011.

Almost everyone acts like it's an affront that someone misses NORMAL SoCal winter weather, which isn't overly rainy but at least has some variety!

Just leave the day after day after day of dry weather for the spring, summer, and autumn.   What's so bad about that?

Edited by Angel Oracle

No we don't act as it's an affront that you miss whether. However most of the southland got rain yesterday, you just happened to be where there wasn't any. Also you talk about the drought as being one of the driving factors of a thread like this. My limited understanding of this is that it is more important to have snow than rain, and listening to homebrewer we have had plenty of that in the areas that matter this season. Now I could be totally wrong and if so correct me, I am just going by a limited knowledge and following this thread now and then.

That helps NoCal a lot, which sends some water to SoCal.   But the SoCal mountains need snow too, and have had very little the past 5 years.

Which is why the lakes like Big Bear are getting lower every year.    

Any way, it's about two things: the drought's effects in SoCal, and being bored with day after day of dry winter weather, which didn't use to be the case.  

AO's frustration with the "weak" El Nino results aren't completely without basis.

While we have had relatively plenty of rain and snow up here, the reality is that this was really just what is considered "normal". It only seems like a lot after so many years of so far below normal.

There is still a chance that more will come, but the fact is were running out of time to have an above normal winter snowpack.

This will be coming out as news over the next few days, and water conservation will remain a topic of concern in Ca for a few more years at least.

State water surveyors have found a nearly average snowpack in the Sierra Nevada, setting the stage for tough decisions on water conservation requirements for California residents.

Regulators say the key spring measurement on Wednesday found the snowpack at about 95 percent of normal. They intend to use the figure when they reopen a discussion on whether to ease or drop the savings mandates.

During the historic drought, now in its fifth year, Californians have been ordered to use at least 20 percent less water. To comply, many have let lawns turn brown and flushed toilets less often.

The snowpack was aided by an El Nino storm system that dumped more water on the northern part of the state while leaving southern areas relatively dry.

George Kostyrko of the State Water Board says officials will consider this difference while setting new conservation targets.

The snowpack provides roughly one-third of California's water.

AO's frustration with the "weak" El Nino results aren't completely without basis.

While we have had relatively plenty of rain and snow up here, the reality is that this was really just what is considered "normal". It only seems like a lot after so many years of so far below normal.

There is still a chance that more will come, but the fact is were running out of time to have an above normal winter snowpack.

This will be coming out as news over the next few days, and water conservation will remain a topic of concern in Ca for a few more years at least.

My parents have lived in Montana for decades and the snow pack is a double edged sword. A good hard winter can load the mountains up with heavy snowfall but early warm springs can cause flooding that just washes all of that water down the river and none is recoverable, it is mostly silt. Ruined quite a few good early season fishing trips.

If you have a slow Spring thaw then the water soaks into the mountains and valleys and fills the underground supply while keeping the rivers full but neither overflowing or with an excessive amount of sediment. It's good for the wildlife and fishing. Sometimes a regular snowfall with a slow thaw reaps the best benefits as everything stays in balance. The worst is a light winter with an early Spring, by July the rivers are only half full and the fish are usually are half their usual size due to lack of feed.