• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

WTF is with this bleeping weather?

Motorcyclist dies of suspected heat exposure in Death Valley amid record-setting temperatures
The rider was one of six treated for heat exposure Saturday, when the temperature at Death Valley National Park reached a new July 6 high of 128 degrees.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/motorcyclist-dies-suspected-heat-exposure-death-valley-rcna160636

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hot and smoky here. Actual ashes on the ground this morning, from the Park Fire in California. Can you believe it was caused by arson? Who does that.

The Park Fire is the largest wildfire of California's 2024 wildfire season, the fourth largest in California history, the second largest single-source wildfire (as compared to a wildfire complex, with multiple ignition points), and the largest ever caused by arson in the state. As of August 6, 2024, the fire has burned 419,746 acres (169,865 hectares) and is 34 percent contained.[2] Fire suppression operations have cost $112.6 million to date.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Fire

Forecast is for a high of 94 here in Eagle with humidity in the low 20's which is normal for this time of year. The mornings are beautiful (it's 57 right now) except for the smoke we're getting. Usually we get up early and open the windows but not with this smoky air.

I just spent the last few days doing new hire orientation in Bloomington, CA. It was 105 Monday and Tuesday. Yes we were inside in AC but breaks outside were unbearable. Couldn’t wait to get back to my “hot” 80 degree Oceanside weather. 
Also, Bloomington and Rialto and that whole area is wild. I’ve never seen warehouses that big. 

50 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I've never even heard of Bloomington, CA!

I feel like the entire city is only warehouses including a giant FedEx facility, so it was familiar because I’ve seen packages tracked there. It’s riverside/rialto 

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Hot and smoky here. Actual ashes on the ground this morning, from the Park Fire in California. Can you believe it was caused by arson? Who does that.

The Park Fire is the largest wildfire of California's 2024 wildfire season, the fourth largest in California history, the second largest single-source wildfire (as compared to a wildfire complex, with multiple ignition points), and the largest ever caused by arson in the state. As of August 6, 2024, the fire has burned 419,746 acres (169,865 hectares) and is 34 percent contained.[2] Fire suppression operations have cost $112.6 million to date.[3]

Forecast is for a high of 94 here in Eagle with humidity in the low 20's which is normal for this time of year. The mornings are beautiful (it's 57 right now) except for the smoke we're getting. Usually we get up early and open the windows but not with this smoky air.

a buddy of mine worked for LA County fire. he said so many of the wildfires in our area are the result of arson. they usually happen on the hottest days of the week/month/year, and it's rarely a coincidence. there are plenty that are started by lightning (not so much here in socal), or transients, or careless campers, but there's still more from arson. @PattyD22 could probably shed a lot more light on this. 

If I had to guess @Tank, I’d say about 85% of the fires in Southern California are caused by arson.  Most are caused by transients for really no reason other than they have mental issues and just want to cause problems.

Serial arsonists are more deliberate.  They scout weather reports and strike when there are really concerns about “red flag” fire weather.  There are 3 criteria for the NWS to declare a Red Flag event.

1.  Relative humidity of less than 10%
2. Wind gusts of over 25 mph

3.  Dry lightning

We do get dry lightning but it’s usually during a monsoonal event.  Arsonists want to cause chaos, destruction, and they want the fire they start to be a national event.  They want homes to burn, and they want a lot of acres to go up.  That’s why they are very strategic about when and where they start fires.

Kind of long winded but that’s what my experience has been.

@Tankwho is your LA County friend?

On 8/7/2024 at 6:30 AM, Jay said:

I heard there are only 2 natural ways, but really one natural way where a fire can start.  1.  Lightning.  2.  Something flying into a power line.  Those two don't happen often.  

On 8/12/2024 at 10:41 AM, gotbeer said:

I heard there are only 2 natural ways, but really one natural way where a fire can start.  1.  Lightning.  2.  Something flying into a power line.  Those two don't happen often.  

# 2 isn’t natural 

On 8/12/2024 at 11:41 AM, gotbeer said:

Actually lightning happens pretty often.

• 2 weeks later...

The Record Fire that started near San Jacinto, California, burned more than 650 acres on Sunday, according to officials.

The brush fire was reported at around 2:15 p.m. near Soboba Road and Gilman Spring Road north of San Jacinto, according to the Riverside County Fire Department.

An investigation by fire officials determined the fire was human-caused.

The fire remains at 0% contained as of 10 p.m. local time, the fire department said.

At least six firefighters working to put out the fire were hospitalized with minor injuries. Ground units and water-dropping aircraft assisted in battling the fire.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/record-fire-california-burns-hundreds-094245329.html

11 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

Portable AC is worth the $$$ in order to sleep at night when this week occurs. 

I have one but it goes in the kiddo’s room. I have a small place so 2 would probably blow a fuse. One time it was on in her room and I microwaved something downstairs and our power went out. I will for sure be using it the 2 nights she’s at her dad’s though