• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

I wouldn't anticipate any MAX deals for us.  Who's gonna take a max deal offer?  Marc Gasol...why would he leave a contender in Memphis?  DeAndre Jordan...why would he leave a contender who can offer him an additional deal and larger pay increases?  All the great FA's, regardless of position, are on teams that are contenders already.  Most, if not all, of the restricted FA's will be matched even if we do make offers.  I will be mildly shocked if we come away with more than a couple of great complimentary players (Danny Green, Kosta Koufos types). 

Now there are reports about more interest in Rajon Rondo than Goran Dragic.  I suppose if he was running point with four other players capable of shooting/scoring (Kobe, Clarkson, Randle, Koufos...and Danny Green..or some combination like that) maybe it could work, but I'd rather pass especially if he is looking for big money.  Dragic at the right price, sure.  Ultimately we could pass on both and I wouldn't be hurt due to Clarksons development.

I could completely see Kevin Love being signed.  He isn't a perfect fit but would be an asset moving forward.  He is probably the only FA that I could see signing with another team and seemingly improving his personal situation.  He isn't being used to his full potential in Cleveland and the Lakers and Knicks could be strong options for his relocation.  Ideally we would need to draft or sign someone who can protect the rim behind him.

Edited by HaloWHAM!

I could completely see Kevin Love being signed. He isn't a perfect fit but would be an asset moving forward. He is probably the only FA that I could see signing with another team and seemingly improving his personal situation. He isn't being used to his full potential in Cleveland and the Lakers and Knicks could be strong options for his relocation. Ideally we would need to draft or sign someone who can protect the rim behind him.

Get lucky, and get the #1 pick and draft Okafor.

I'd be happy with anyone we drafted in the top-5.......as that would mean we kept the pick.  Okafor.  Towns.  Russell.  WCS.  Herzonja.  Winslow.  Fine with em' all.

I'd love Gasol but just don't see why he would leave Memphis.  They are good.  He seemingly enjoys it there.  They can give him a larger deal.  What is the appeal for him?

Okafor has lots of holes in his game. Too much to wait through development, if he develops his game at all. Hopefully the Timberwolves make the mistake of drafting that guy.

I'm curious to see if there is any truth to the rumors of Westbrook and Love reuniting in LA. I'd assume the Lakers would have to trade the pick along with Randle for Westbrook. Then signing Love to a deal. Is that even possible with the salary cap? I'm not saying that is the answer, but I'd strongly consider it.

I would think that Bryant's salary for one remaining season would make it difficult to have he, Westbrook, and Love all playing for the Lakers.

But yeah, after seeing Kaminsky school Okafor last night, I would be leery of taking him at #1 or even #2.

It comes down to need for the Lakers:

Russell, Towns, Okafor, Mudiay, or even Tyus Jones, if they get to keep the pick?

Lakers taking Tyus Jones with a top 5 pick would be Al Davis levels of insanity.

Maybe not top 5, but seeing how some of the past few drafts' busts were selected as high as #1 (hello Anthony Bennent), who knows who is a legit top 5 anymore.

Chris Paul is only 6-0.

Rajon Rondo is only 6-1.

Russell Westbrook and Kyrie Irving are 6-3.

6-1 isn't a true mismatch, necessarily, especially if the 6-1 PG has stones in the clutch and distributes the ball well, as Tyus Jones has done for Duke throughout the season.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I think he'll be a fine rotation player, not on the same level of those guys mentioned, but really it's anyone's guess as to how successful a career he will have. That's the thing about these kids is there's no real way of telling who will pan out or not. They're all prospects, but a great showing in the tourney raises the level of expectations certainly. Scouting and analysis says Okafor should develop(still a 19 year old kid, so his finished product is still years away) into a great rim protector and a great center in the league. 1 game shouldn't diminish that value. Anthony Davis is having a monster year and is looking like the franchise player many projected , despite having a terrible showing in the national championship game in 2012.

Lakers officially sew up the 4th worst record, and will have an 82% chance to keep a top 5 pick.

If they land in the 5th spot, that means Towns, Okafor, Russell, and Mudiay will likely be drafted already. That leaves either Cauley-Stein or Stanley Johnson.

Cauley-Stein is a defensive game changer like Towns, but existing medical condition could impact minutes played.

Or they could trade down to net 2 other 1st round picks, if choosing 5th?

Johnson, despite being just 6-7, has the potential to post up other SFs at 245 lbs.

Edited by Angel Oracle

It will be interesting to see how the Lakers front office goes about the rebuild this off-season.  Clearly, a very important variable in the rebuild is keeping the top-5 pick.  Just as important is how they attack free agency.  Will they:

1.  Go hard after one max-contract type unrestricted guy (Dragic, Marc Gasol, D. Jordan, Love, Aldridge)?  

2.  Delve into restricted free agency?  History has shown they don't but this is a different CBA and there are good, young players in this group.  Jimmy

Butler.  Brandon Knight.  Kawhi Leonard.  Draymond Green.  Khris Middleton.  Tobias Harris.  Patrick Beverly.  The upside is upside and youth.  The downside

is most, if not all teams, may match any offer we make.....and hold that money hostage for three days.  We could lose potential free agents while we wait.

3.  Attempt to sign several glue guys to smaller deals to create depth?  Rondo.  Lin.  Danny Green,  Wes Matthews (if he is healing well on a smaller deal).

DeMarre Carroll.  Ed Davis.  Kosta Koufas.  Tyson Chandler.

The draft will be exciting as we will likely add at least 3 young guys to the roster, but watching how FA pans out will be just as important!

Kawhi Leonard will be in HUGE demand.

He is on the verge of super stardom, with one Finals MVP under his belt.

He can guard ANY wing player, and has a complete offensive game.

Plus, he is a So Cal guy (Riverside).

Do the Lakers have enough salary cap room to sign Love, and also try to sign Leonard?