• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

He doesn't shoot nearly as well shooting off the dribble as he does spotting up/coming off screens, so I definitely think you're correct that he could work at SG working with someone who could create and set him up.  But it seems like SG/PG titles could go by the wayside depending on who they draft

The drama continues. Jim "3 years" Buss wants back in and Jeanie out.

" Attorneys for Jeanie Buss sought a temporary restraining order in Los Angeles County Superior Court on Friday to prevent the brothers from holding a meeting next week to elect a new board of directors for the team. The brothers proposed four directors, according to court records, but didn’t include her. In order to be the controlling owner, she has to be a director. "

What was Jimmy thinking? Even if he succeeded in a court of law he was going to get crushed in the court of public opinion. 

He just less the Lakers into their 3 worst stains in franchise history and tries to stage a coup? The only way it would have worked is if they win a championship immediately. That wasn't going to happen.

So here is my blueprint (for 3/3/17) for the next 4 months.

1.  Secure a top-2 pick in the lottery and draft either Fultz (Washington) or Ball (UCLA).

2.  Trade Julius Randle to a team holding a top-5 to top-7 pick that would rather have a player with Randle's skill-set than an unproven rookie/project.

3.  With the pick acquired from Randle trade, select Jonathon Isaacs-SF/PF (Florida St.).  A little thin now but as he puts on weight, will be able to play and defend well at the PF spot.  He already has a nice jumper and defends well.  Really fluid for a guy 6-10".  Would fit better with the team I'm constructing as he isn't a defensive liability and has to be defended out to the 3 point line.  Doesn't pass like Randle but I think we would get more consistency from him PLUS Randle is due for a new contract after the 2017-2018 season.

4.  At #27, a nice player could slide (Harry Giles?), we could take a foreigner and stash him (Pasecniks, Vezenkov, etc.) or just take best available player of which there will be a ton of really good options (Josh Hart? ).  As we already would have accumulated solid Forward/Center depth, I'd likely pull the trigger on a SG like Luke Kennard (DraftExpress has him as the #27 pick in their mock).

4.  Trade Jordan Clarkson and 2019 1st for Paul George in the summer.  That deal might not get it done so may have to be Ingram primarily (which would alter the roster configuration and who we might grab at #27).

5.  Sign a backup veteran point guard like Shaun Livingston, Patty Mills, Darren Collison.

11 minutes ago, HaloJustinBieber said:

So here is my blueprint (for 3/3/17) for the next 4 months.

1.  Secure a top-2 pick in the lottery and draft either Fultz (Washington) or Ball (UCLA).

2.  Trade Julius Randle to a team holding a top-5 to top-7 pick that would rather have a player with Randle's skill-set than an unproven rookie/project.

3.  With the pick acquired from Randle trade, select Jonathon Isaacs-SF/PF (Florida St.).  A little thin now but as he puts on weight, will be able to play and defend well at the PF spot.  He already has a nice jumper and defends well.  Really fluid for a guy 6-10".  Would fit better with the team I'm constructing as he isn't a defensive liability and has to be defended out to the 3 point line.  Doesn't pass like Randle but I think we would get more consistency from him PLUS Randle is due for a new contract after the 2017-2018 season.

4.  At #27, a nice player could slide (Harry Giles?), we could take a foreigner and stash him (Pasecniks, Vezenkov, etc.) or just take best available player of which there will be a ton of really good options (Josh Hart? ).  As we already would have accumulated solid Forward/Center depth, I'd likely pull the trigger on a SG like Luke Kennard (DraftExpress has him as the #27 pick in their mock).

4.  Trade Jordan Clarkson and 2019 1st for Paul George in the summer.  That deal might not get it done so may have to be Ingram primarily (which would alter the roster configuration and who we might grab at #27).

5.  Sign a backup veteran point guard like Shaun Livingston, Patty Mills, Darren Collison.

If I had a 5-7 pick in this year's draft I'd rather have that than Julius Randle. Maybe you get a 10-14 pick with Randle and take a guy like TJ Leaf?

Randle has trade value, but it has to be to the right fit.  I agree with you that I would rather have the pick than Randle, but that is with the vantage point of the players WE currently have.  Another team may really covet a young guy who can rebound like he does and push the pace.  Another angle is that maybe Randle is the player sent to acquire George and Ingram is sent to a team that covets him more than what is available at #5-#7.  Just spitballing.

New Roster

PG:  Fultz or Ball     SG:  DLo          SF:  P. George       PF:  Nance          C:  Zubac

Livingston                 Swaggy            Ingram                  Isaacs                Black

Kennard           Brewer                  Deng                  Mozgov

This is a better defensive starting lineup with an All-NBA addition in George.  Ball and Fultz both have the upside as above average defenders.  This could quickly become a fairly good defensive lineup with the switching ability.  Offensively, we would have capable shooters at each spot and passers at a minimum of 4 positions.  The second lineup of Livingston, Young, Ingram, Isaacs and Black could be similar, if not more effective, to this seasons backup lineup.

What I also like is the ability to keep a lot of salary cap in order to sign another FA in 2018 OR acquire another front-line player through trade.  Also, we can't trade any of the young guys for Paul George straight up.  We'd need to include some salary in the deal, like Brewer, Deng, Swaggy, in order to pass the leagues trade requirements. 

So the new GM was made official today, not sure what I think about it. Is the CBA so damn complicated that you need to hire a guy who "knows the CBA," who "understands the business?" This is the LA market, there is a salary cap, who cares about 'the business' we need someone who has an eye for talent.

Mozgov and Deng = Jimmy Bob's and Mitch's walking papers.    That's $136 million combined for 4 years total, that is being mostly wasted.  

At least Zubac is progressing nicely.

Still #2 in the top 3 picks lottery stakes, 2 wins in front of the Suns and 4 wins in front of the Sixers and Magic    

Zubac is supposed to get a lot of run moving forward, even prior to the news that Mozgov was getting shut down.  I was watching the end of the Philly game a few nights ago and was disappointed in DLo.  Was unaware that there were only 5 seconds on the shot clock at the end of the game and got off a horrible attempt.  Pull your head out dude!  Your point guard needs to know game situations.  That was a big fail, admittedly on a small stage and if it's going to happen and he's going to learn....better to happen now.

I'm really feeling Jayson Tatum from Duke right now.  That guy can shoot, create his own shot and defend.  He isn't a position of need but I like him a lot at the top, definitely top-3.

Russell just doesn't seem like an on court leader, that much is for darned sure.   Too much talent on this team to be 20-48 (10-38 in past 48 games)!

If the lottery top 3 pick is kept, and Lonzo Ball is available, GRAB HIM!   Then include Russell in a package deal for Paul George, and make Ingram/Clarkson the new 6th man.

Zubac, Randle, George, Clarkson/Ingram, Ball

Thing was he was showing promise since the Lou Will trade as his stats all increased until the 76ers game when he mismanaged the clock at the end of the game and that inbound disaster before the half. He hasn't handled the coming off the bench well and last night was by far his worst game as a Laker. He had more fouls and turnovers than points and assists. 

It's strange that everything is coming down on him. He might not be the leader that the Lakers envision him to be.

I think Russell's maturity and leadership will come in time but it is tough to watch him struggle sometimes.  I think getting someone like Ball or Fultz to share the leadership role and allow him to come off-ball sometimes will help.  Also, Ingram's development (physical + confidence) will help as well.

Gave the Cavs everything yesterday, just not enough.   Russell had one of those games (40 pts, 6 assists, good ball handling) where you wonder why he can't do it more often. 

Top 3 finish is almost assured, as they are 5 games in front of Orlando and 6 games in front of the Sixers with 12 games to play.   Need for the Suns to win 3 more games, which should ensure a top 2 finish like a year ago as I don't see the Lakers going 5-7 even with 2/3 of their remaining games at home. 

27 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

With Ingram at SF (plus some 20-25 lbs.) and Clarkson as the perfect 6th man?

Definitely. I love Clarkson off the bench more than Clarkson the starter.

Ingram has quietly had a very good month and looks like he's getting more comfortable with his shot. His attempts, FG pct.(50%) and ppg(13) are all at career highs for the month.

Kind of a weird thing about Ingram.  Coming into the season, he would typically jump off of two feet.  I don't know if he was uncoordinated trying to jump off one foot or just uncomfortable with it.  But it limited him.  He is now jumping off of one foot on drives more recently (probably a combo of working on it to gain comfort + strength training) and seems A LOT more explosive and he is getting UP.  Seems like he is getting at least one impressive dunk per game now.  That dunk taking Giannis to the hole in the Bucks game was the latest.  He seems to have underwhelmed the league as far as the league impression of him, but he is coming and it will be fierce.