• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

Just now, eaterfan said:

That's my best hope as well. But Magic doesn't run the Dodgers. He's a figurehead and owns like 2%. If that's all he is then I'm fine with that. But why do people think Magic is totally into the way the game is played now or understands it? I may be misrembering but he seems to be a guy who thinks basketball was at its best when he played. I seem to recall him making comments to those effect. Just because he played like they do now doesn't mean that's the style he likes. Joe Morgan was one of the best sabermetric players ever. He does nothing but disparage their use. 

What is Magic going to do other than trot out old trophies and say what the Lakers used to be? 

That's what we'll have to wait and see.

This dude did lead the march to get D'antoni fired for Byron.

I don't like Magic in any sort of basketball decision role. This is the same guy that thought Rondo was going to be a game changer for the Mavericks and that Dion Waiters was the next Dwyane Wade.

I'm glad Jim is gone.

Supposedly we have a trade offer from the Wizards for Lou that includes Washington's first round pick. Charlotte is also aggressively pursuing Lou. He will be moved. 

Comes from a report saying Paul George has "talked about going to the Lakers" if he can't win in Indiana. Magic wants him, but looks like they're willing to wait until he becomes a FA and keep their assets. I use the quotes because this could all be once again a big name trying to get more money by using the Lakers as leverage.

So Paul George can leave as a FA after next season?   That makes him only age 28 for the 2018-19 season, same age Pau Gasol was when acquired in 2008.

Must resist the urge to make a trade for the next season plus, and keep the core together and hopefully add George to it.   At that point they would have:

Russell, Clarkson, George, and Ingram as the key perimeter players; Nance Jr. as the key combo forward; and Zubac, Randle, and Black as the key post players.   They would still need another solid post player to come off of the bench.  

So many questions if the Paul George rumors are true.  Do we trade for him during the 2017 summer or wait until his FA summer of 2018.  I know most will say don't give up any assets for him when you can have him sign as a free agent if we wait until next summer.  However, Bird will trade him somewhere and that somewhere will have his bird rights (extra season + escalators) and may be a contender that has a chance to woo him to stay with the additional financial incentives.  Clearly, no one will trade an A+ package knowing that he may not stay, but what is that package from us?

Who do we draft (assuming we keep our top-3 protected pick) with an eye toward getting George?  Fultz seems to be a no-brainer if available.  Maybe Lonzo Ball with the #2 or #3 to pair with D'Lo.  Josh Jackson has shown plenty but that jumper form is scary!  I really like Monk but not sure if he will D up and feel like he might be a reach at #2 or #3.  Duke's Jayson Tatum and Florida States Jonathon Isaac seem to disappear at times.  I like all of these guys a lot.  I also like the UCLA center Ike Anigbogu a lot with the Houston pick.

Makes me wonder about free agency this year, too.  If we traded, say, Julius Randle/Jordan Clarkson to Indiana for George, would that interest Blake Griffin to sign with us?  Would make for an interesting team:

Starters:  Russell, Ball, George, Griffin, Anigbogu (four scorers with an athletic defensive anchor)

2nd team:  Ennis, Young, Ingram, Nance, Zu

Another way to go in the draft pick is to move the #2 or #3 and slide down a bit, gathering another pick in the low teens.  I would love to get an athletic shooter/scorer like Malik Monk down at #6/7 and pick up an additional pick to draft PF Isaiah Hartenstein. SF OG Onunoby, or C Justin Patton (just a few guys that I like in that range).  Monk and D'Lo could set each other up offensively, and there aren't many things that I believe will translate to the NBA as well as Monks shooting/scoring..  Would love to see that.

AO, I don't know if Anigbogu will come out or not?  It may be smarter for him to stay another year and work on his game (developing a 10-15 foot J) but if he does come out, I'd love to have him.  I kinda doubt he'd make it to #27 or whatever the Houston pick turns out to be.  If he stays, who knows what he'll be playing with as Ball is for sure gone, and Leaf may be gone too.

Kind of expanding on HaloNArizona's question, I feel like the Lakers have done a pretty good job up to now just drafting the best available player and maybe not worrying about how they all fit together.  Not that they've played much together this year, but I don't think Clarkson and Russell are the best fit together.  Clarkson is a little bit like Lou Williams.  He is looked at to score and often is weaving through the defense just looking for a spot to get his own shot off, not really a natural distributor.  

Ball would definitely work much, much better with Russell and I see the desire to draft him.  Whether it's Ball or someone else, this may be the year we start looking a little more at fit.  We maybe shouldn't be looking at players with broke jumpers, instead looking for players that could elevate Russells level of play.  This is why I am so high on Malik Monk.  As a freshman, he is such a prolific scorer, and the even more impressive feat is how hot he gets and how well he hits on contested jumpers.  I think he could step in and be a electric and consistent outlet for Russell's passing.  And because he can create his own shots, he would be able to set Russell up for the spot-up jumpers that he excels at.  He doesn't answer all of our questions, but he gives us another scorer and helps to make Russell better by providing a consistent, smart option.

The other guy I love to watch is Josh Jackson.  He is so smooth, is a great slasher and distributor, and is a bulldog on D.  He seems like he could be an alpha.  This is the other thing we are lacking from our recent prospects.  Some of them may become good defenders when they grow into their bodies or when they commit, or whatever.  But what we need are guys who are naturally great defenders, which when you're a great defender is about physical ability, mental ability and heart/desire.  Jackson is that combination, however JJ's jumper is broke and it affects him when defenders close out hard on him.  But he is a much more fluid athlete than Ingram.  

I also am of the opinion that Randle needs to be traded.  Maybe Clarkson too.  Is that too aggressive?  I don't think either of those guys will be a Laker when we are competitive again.  They may be what puts us on the path though, as part of trades that bring us more established players (George?) or draft picks where we can then draft for schematic fits.