• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are in late December and the Lakers certainly have been more entertaining to watch.  However, there is still a long way to go before we play consistent and learn how to close.  And, as much fun as they are to watch and as much hope they have inspired in our future, they are sitting currently as the 7th worst record and should easily be passed by Miami and should be passed by Minnesota and New Orleans as well.  That would put us as the 4th worst record and having a slight chance of keeping our pick in next seasons draft.  I think we could continue to play fun basketball and slide down in the standings at the same time just due to not being able to close.  This is going to be a studly draft class so that may not be the worst consolation prize as we continue to grow and learn.

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

I like this team's future, but it's still 2-3 years away. Does Lou Williams have any trade value? He's been their best player, but what are they playing for this season?

If he was a solid PG, they could try to bamboozle another team, like the Suns did to the Lakers with the Nash trade. 

The contracts that both Young and Williams are on are so team friendly, I'm not sure that it would be wise to trade them.  I do think there might be a market for both to help bolster a playoff roster and that might net us a mid to late first rounder.  Not sure which I'd rather have; guess I'll let Mitch decide.

The boys ran aground vs. Dallas tonight and are now only 2 games up in the win column over Miami, Minnesota, Phoenix and Dallas.  All of those clubs have winnable games coming up and we could be looking at certainly a bottom-5 record, maybe as low as bottom-3.  I'm not happy about that but we have run into a string of injuries (DLo, Nance, Randle a little) that have screwed up our chemistry.  Keep playing hard, boys, and keep developing!

We are definitely moving in the right direction, but the entire western conference seemingly is as good or better than we are.  I have no problem with continuing to play hard, continue developing, consider trading off some pieces if it gives us a better shot long-term to improve, and pick up one more high draft pick in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

Good vibes from the Miami and Orlando routs are tempered with a 30 point 2nd half against a mediocre Portland team at Staples.

It's a learning curve year, to be sure.   5-17 in their past 22 games

Nance Jr. could be back in about a week.   Then they would be at full strength for the first time in a while.

Absolutely. Probably would need to take on some expiring contracts but in the process freeing up cap space for the offseason. Problem is the Lakers are still in the 8th seed hunt despite their record. I feel like it's more important for them to taste some form of success rather than phone it in for another year.

I'd be fine adding another guard because it gives us a ton of high-upside youth that can be packaged for an impact player while not completely depleting our roster.  Right now, if we were going to entertain adding someone like Jimmy Butler, it'd likely take 2 or 3 of our young core (Russell, Clarkson, Ingram, Randle, Nance).  You add one more name, like Fultz, Ball, Smith Jr. or Monk, and it makes a trade for an established star completely doable.  If I knew we could field a lineup of Smith Jr./Butler/Ingram/Randle/Zubac and Nance off the bench by trading Russell and Clarkson, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Russell, Butler and Smith Jr. would be a nice guard rotation if we traded Randle and Clarkson intead.  Then we could focus on a starting PF in free agency.  Bottom line, it's adding assets that could help us take the next step forward via trade (while still having a lot of young studs on the roster) because free agency has proven to not be the way thus far.

I would also love to trade Lou Williams and/or Nick Young for young players that match needs for us (defenders) or picks in the upcoming draft.  I think there are going to be players available in the teens that could help us, especially in the instance we do not retain our high first rounder.  Williams and Young both have extremely team-friendly deals and would be valuable scorers off of the bench for potential playoff bound teams.

I like what Walton did last night, pulling guys off the floor that weren't giving effort (physical or mental).  Russell and Randle both had major lapses and Luke didn't like it and pulled them.  Mostly second unit guys got us back in it and the starters watched and learned from the sidelines.  Zubac made mistakes but earned floor time with many positive plays and no lack of effort.  Floor time is earned by effort at this point, both physical and mental.  Period.