• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

19 hours ago, AngelsLongBall said:

Is he literally the dumbest player in the NBA?  He can't stop tripping over his own dick

Trojan

Edit: Dammit, Lou beat me to it.  Anyone that goes by "Swaggy P" is a giant fucking moron.

It's a really interesting contrast between Jim Buss. Buss was willing to sacrifice two season for sentimentality, Reilly wasn't. The situation wasn't the exact same because Miami has some pieces in place, Winslow and Bender, and they haven't traded all their picks. The Lakers needed to be championship contenders or terribly bad. But at the time the Lakers looked like they could probably rebuild quicker without signing Kobe to a deal like that.

The dumbest thing a pro sports team can do is overpay someone because they are a fan favorite.

Lakers should have offered Kobe mid level exception money and if he didn't take it they could have given him a nice farewell and he could have played like the 10th man on the bench while being paid 25 million a year for someone else.

I'm fine giving Kobe the money.  Had he taken less money, we would have signed another player or two that would have made us slightly better.  Not good enough to make the playoffs most likely, but potentially good enough to miss out on Randle, Russell and Ingram.  I'll sacrifice a few years of our past for several years of our future.

38 minutes ago, nate said:

The dumbest thing a pro sports team can do is overpay someone because they are a fan favorite.

Lakers should have offered Kobe mid level exception money and if he didn't take it they could have given him a nice farewell and he could have played like the 10th man on the bench while being paid 25 million a year for someone else.

We'll see how you feel about this when Mike Trout is 30 and wants a 10 year deal.

24 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

We'll see how you feel about this when Mike Trout is 30 and wants a 10 year deal.

I will feel exactly the same and hopefully the people running the Angels do too.  Plus it isn't the same as getting 6 years of good Trout and 4 of bad.

This would be like signing Trout when he is 40 for two years and paying him top dollar.

1 hour ago, nate said:

I will feel exactly the same and hopefully the people running the Angels do too.  Plus it isn't the same as getting 6 years of good Trout and 4 of bad.

This would be like signing Trout when he is 40 for two years and paying him top dollar.

Angels would still be paying for twice as many bad years from Trout as the Lakers were paying Kobe in that last contract.

3 minutes ago, nate said:

What?

Under your situation Angels would have 6 good years of Trout and 4 bad years. The Lakers final deal for Kobe was 2 years long. The Lakers bought 2 years of bad Kobe and the Angels would be buying 4 bad years of Trout. That's twice as many bad years.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, though. I think you have to be able to walk away. I just wanted to make the point that it's easier for us to applaud Miami for doing it when it's their guy walking away and not ours. It will be tough for me to watch Trout playing for the Yankees, Cubs, Phils or Sox, even if that was the smart move for the organization. 

15 hours ago, nate said:

Didn't they extend Kobe before the achilles injury? He was still at the top of his game until that injury ended things. no one could've predicted it.

It ended up being a blessing for the Lakers. They could tank and still sell tickets at the same time.  Lakers fans are perfectly fine with the contract, so why are you making it an issue?

19 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Didn't they extend Kobe before the achilles injury? He was still at the top of his game until that injury ended things. no one could've predicted it.

It ended up being a blessing for the Lakers. They could tank and still sell tickets at the same time.  Lakers fans are perfectly fine with the contract, so why are you making it an issue?

1. They extended him after the injury

2. Not every Laker fan was fine with the contract, just check out page 21 of this thread

50 minutes ago, tennischmp said:

1. They extended him after the injury

2. Not every Laker fan was fine with the contract, just check out page 21 of this thread

Oh yea. 

Didn't seem smart at the time, but it ended up working out great in the end.

Really impressed with Zubac and Ingram's ability to rotate on D and deliver help defense. Granted it is the first game of summer league, there was a lot of promising potential displayed out there. Russell looked like a leader out there, as well. His post game is so beautiful, I'm so glad Luke looks like he's going to utilize that on offense. I'm sure Kobe will continue to work with him on his footwork down low and its going to benefit us so much. I have really high hopes for Russell this year, I'm honestly expecting 17/5/5. 

Nance looked good out there, as well. I think he's a much better fit in Luke's offense over Randle. I wouldn't be surprised if Nance was able to leapfrog Julius as the starter at some point this season. I honestly don't think Randle is longed for this team, he just doesn't seem like a player who can fit into Luke's ideology of bringing a GSW style of offense down here.