• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

I wish I could say that I am surprised at the contract values thus far.  Mozgov wasn't on my radar but Luke must think he'll fit.  For now, I'll try to remain optimistic that our Laker professionals are smarter than I am (Ha!).  There seem to be rumors that he could've gone to other successful teams, Cleveland, Golden State and San Antonio included, and we might have had to overpay to get him here.  That may reflect that candidates I would've preferred weren't interested in joining us.  Not sure.

There really hasn't been any significant movement of the bigger names in free agency.  Maybe Mitch/Luke are sensing this.  Seems like a lot to spend on Mozgov but he could be an upgraded salary placeholder that could be carried forward and then amnestied in one of the next few offseasons when 1) our youngsters are more developed, 2) we are a little further into our competitive future, and 3) have marquee FA's that might actually want to come here (George? Westbrook?).  

I don't hate the signing. The way the cap is going up money doesn't mean anything for the next two seasons. They weren't going to sign a marquis FA this year and their only real shot at getting one next year is if Westbrook really wants to go home. This deal won't keep that from happening. Realistically they weren't going to sign an A or B level FA and they have to hit the cap floor. This team isn't really going to be competing for anything real for at least 2 years anyway. With a team option after year 3 his contract can become an expiring one in year 3. The cap will have stopped rising so expiring deals may have value as trade chips once again. 

Would I have preferred Pau on a 2 year max deal instead? Yes. But I don't see this as the type of move that effects the long term outlook or the short term one that much either.

6 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Nah the Mozgov deal still looks bad because it's Mozgov. There are multiple middling backup centers available in FA right now. Not sure why the Lakers had to rush to give Mozgov this contract an hour into FA.

I doubt there are more 7'1 270lb big men available than back up SG's who can't shoot. You can find Evan turner type players any time anywhere. Horrible signing by Portland. 

Im not even saying the mozgov signing was good but there are a lot more horrendous deals going on out there today. Given the minutes and health I'll be happy with 12 and 10 consistently 

Everyone wants to point at the lakers and laugh. Turner avg 10/4/4 and he got 70m lol

11 minutes ago, nando714 said:

I doubt there are more 7'1 270lb big men available than back up SG's who can't shoot. You can find Evan turner type players any time anywhere. Horrible signing by Portland. 

Im not even saying the mozgov signing was good but there are a lot more horrendous deals going on out there today. Given the minutes and health I'll be happy with 12 and 10 consistently 

Everyone wants to point at the lakers and laugh. Turner avg 10/4/4 and he got 70m lol

That's the most pathetic part.  The Lakers now have to overspend on marginal crap like Portland, Milwaukee, Jersey, etc etc.  Quality doesn't want to come.

6 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It could be worse. At least we're not clippers fans!.

This post was for all the clippers fans coming here to troll.

I'll take the lakers young core with a high ceiling than their big 3 that has reached its peak as a 2nd round max playoff team

13 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It could be worse. At least we're not clippers fans!.

This post was for all the clippers fans coming here to troll.

awww... How cute you trying to make yourself feel better.

1 hour ago, nate said:

Luol Deng for 72 million?  WTF?  Guess Jimmy didn't want to win for a few years.

$140m spent on bench role players...

That's the going rate. Look at what Memphis is spending. 251 mill combined for Conley and Parsons. They avg 28 points combined 

we got Deng at a fair price. 

Deng is a solid get.  2 million more overall than the deal Turner got and I like Deng more.  He can get minutes at 3 and 4 and is a great mentor for Ingram and Randle for that matter.  If guys had no other options, they'd likely take pumped up one year deals, but that isn't the case.  16 to Mozgov + 18 to Deng still leaves nearly 30 million we "could" spend.