• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

Despite the Lakers having the most money to spend I'm not enthusiastic about free agency.  I don't think they will attract KD (some reports say he isn't meeting with them) and I can see them giving out a max contract to a lesser player who isn't worth it.  If the right guy isn't there I hope they don't panic and bring in some veterans on shorter deals while the young guys develop.

I have no issue at all giving DeRozan or Whiteside max money if they would take it and expect Mitch to be on the phone with Whiteside at 12:01.  The salary cap has escalated quickly and will grow next year too.  I think of it this way.  Next year when the cap spikes to somewhere in the neighborhood of 106-110 million, the guys that are getting max deals this year will be valued at 80-85% of next years maxes.  Also, I want to be choosy but not too choosy.  I mean, my gawd, there are like 5 players in the NBA that are "worth" the max and we likely aren't getting any of them.  And the players we can get (and NEED!) are going to get max offers because that is what the market is going to dictate.  And guess what else, the tier below that is going to get overpaid as the true max guys and the almost true max guys disappear.  Apparently rising tides lift all boats and that sort of thing.

The other little detail is that we HAVE to spend $50+ million of our available cap space as there is a cap floor that must be met.  Bottom line, if we intend to be appealing to future max free agents, we aren't doing it with a bunch of kids with potential talent.  We need to start surrounding them with potential Robins (as in Batman and Robins).

Just because you have money to spend and need to spend money due to the salary floor that doesn't mean you should throw out max contracts.  Whiteside has been getting regular minutes for 2 seasons and while he made strides last season there were times his teammates weren't happy with his play as he cared about padding stats more than helping them win.  That's a huge red flag in the world of guaranteed contracts of the NBA.  At least DeRozan has a longer resume.

Whiteside is not a perfect free agent acquisition for sure.  I've stated my hesitation previously.  But, he ticks off a lot of boxes even at $22 million per.  He boards.  He provides rim protection.  He actually has a fairly decent mid-range J for a center.  He's entering his prime and has put up the numbers he has on less than starter minutes (but has at least performed at a high level for more than one season).  There is risk but we cannot continue to sign middling free agents.  That doesn't move the needle for the big fish that we really want to come here.  FA is going to be ridiculous.  You think spending max on Whiteside is bad?  Wait until you see Noah getting max or near.  Someone like Nic Batum isn't a max free agent but he's going to get it (and will probably have multiple teams willing to give it), and him getting it is gonna drive up the cost for teams that don't get him and have to take someone from the next tier.

I'm not stuck on signing Whiteside, but have already come to the conclusion that I'd like to utilize the money we have available spending max on the best available talent rather than spending near max on someone who isn't the best available talent.  

I'm not big on signing DeRozan. Word is he isn't even setting up meetings with other teams and expects to stay in Toronto. I really wouldn't mind Whiteside. Bring back Black and let Sacre go. 

Russell/Clarkson/Ingram/Randle/Whiteside is a very solid young lineup to get extremely excited over. I'd look to shop Nick Young and maybe sign a 2 guard to push Clarkson to the bench. What 2 guards are out there?

The best available are DeRozan, BradleyBeal (RFA, so likely not attainable), D. Wade, Clarkson, Evan Fournier (RFA, see Beal), Courtney Lee, JR Smith, J. Crawford, A. Afflalo.  The list gets pretty unimpressive once you remove DeRozan and Beal.  Wade will cost a ton and at his age, not sure I'd be willing to invest and doubtful he's coming to a rebuild like ours.  I'll take DeRozan if the Toronto GM flinches and doesn't offer the max.

15 hours ago, HaloJustinBieber said:

Whiteside is not a perfect free agent acquisition for sure.  I've stated my hesitation previously.  But, he ticks off a lot of boxes even at $22 million per.  He boards.  He provides rim protection.  

maybe it's my age, but what in the world is rim protection?

and adam, no links to lemonpartydotcom if you reply to this.

2 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

It means he plays good defense around the basketball hoop. He can block shots, get rebounds, and alter shots of people trying to get to the hoop.

.....or it means he prevents people from getting rim jobs.

I really don't know.

I didn't realize that both of those were problems for this team.

the more you know.

On 6/29/2016 at 10:16 AM, Tank said:

dwade is available. anyone interested?

Getting older but still showed he's got something left in the tank and could be a very good leader for the young core.

Unfortunately looking at maybe going for 1 last run with a championship ready team as he's contacted San Antonio. 

1 hour ago, nando714 said:

Why are some fans absolutely losing sleep over losing KD 

do they not realize we are in full rebuild mode? How delusional are they?

As Laker fans we've been as spoiled or more than fans of any team in the major US 4 sports the last 30 years.  That leads to a lot of bandwagon fans and others with ridiculous expectations.  I don't think they have a chance at KD because if you're him why would you leave OKC or not go to another contender to go a team that's rebuilding.

Multiple articles saying the Lakers are interested in Parsons who wants max money.   Also reading that Dallas is willing to offer Whiteside max money, he's meeting with them first and he says he wants to be done with FA on the first day.  .

16 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

As Laker fans we've been as spoiled or more than fans of any team in the major US 4 sports the last 30 years.  That leads to a lot of bandwagon fans and others with ridiculous expectations.  I don't think they have a chance at KD because if you're him why would you leave OKC or not go to another contender to go a team that's rebuilding.

Multiple articles saying the Lakers are interested in Parsons who wants max money.   Also reading that Dallas is willing to offer Whiteside max money, he's meeting with them first and he says he wants to be done with FA on the first day.  .

No state tax in Texas. Advantage Mavs