• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of pumped on the pick. It's either really good or really bad, but a lot of analysts like Russell the best, whether it be fit, pick, or most likely to be the star of the draft.

Russell, Randle, and probably somebody like Aldridge with Kobes contract coming off the books next season.

Lake show can get real good real quick. Someone on the radio mentioned them injuring their way to the 2 pick (like how Robinson was injured for the year, the Spurs sucked, and got Duncan #1). Probably overboard, but they have money and a shot at a bit of talent soon.

Love and LA are severely overrated. Kobe is getting old but if he stays healthy, that's good news for the Lakers. I think Randle and Russell are still too young to make an immediate impact. I don't see the Lakers getting in the playoffs next year unless everything goes right for them

Yeah they're still a ways from getting back into the playoffs but at least they're heading in the right direction with assets. The way some analysts are talking, they think Kobe is not retiring next season, but we'll wait until we cross that bridge.

Extremely pleased with this draft.  Russell, Nance Jr. and Brown are great additions, but the cherry on top for me is signing Robert Upshaw as an undrafted free agent.  That guy has lottery talent at the center position but has had numerous attitude issues.  He could be a huge lottery winning ticket, ala Hassan Whiteside, or could flameout before the completion of summer league.  Nice "no risk" signing.  The roster currently stands prior to free agency:

*Russell/Clarkson

Kobe/Young (Clarkson should see time here as he runs with Russell)

Singler or Dunleavy/*Anthony Brown

Aldridge or Love/Randle/Kelly/*Nance Jr.

Koufos/Black/Sacre/*Upshaw                  *Denotes rookie

Tons of athleticism and youth.  Wouldn't mind seeing Young and Kelly traded for a small forward or just for cap space (future 2nd round picks), and Sacre simply renounced to create more cap room.  Add Aldridge or Love at $18+ million, Kosta Koufos at $6-7 million and a SF like Kyle Singler or Mike Dunleavy Jr. at roughly $3-4 million.  That would add some solid veterans to the roster and help the kids grow while also being competitive.

I would have drafted Okafor, but then again I am a 27 year old man sitting behind a laptop while Mitch & co. are the decision makers. I loved Okafor's upside and I think we could regret this move down the line. 

As for Russell, after getting over the initial shock, I like the pick. A lot. The one thing that concerns me is that he openly states that he plays the game slow so he can see everything. That may not work on the NBA level. Again, the NBA is much faster than college. He's playing against the top of the top. You can't play the game slow against Harden, Curry, Westbrook, Paul, etc...I do like his shot and his court vision, though. I just hope that if he has too, he can speed his game up. I am also cautious about his defense.

The one thing that bothers me most about this draft is we still have a big gaping hole at C. I don't know who the Lakers' are going after. I highly doubt De'Andre Jordan & Marc Gasol are leaving their respective teams. I think a sleeper is Omer Asik. I would look into signing Tyson Chandler. He gives you a defensive minded big. I do agree with HaloWHAM!...I love signing Upshaw to the summer league. If he can straighten his head, we are looking at a major heist. 

If you go after Aldridge, which I wouldn't mind, you're getting a player who is not a true C and according to the Portland media is adamant about not playing C. I would love him here though but I don't know how it impacts Randle's growth. I want no part of Kevin Love. We also have a nice gap at the 3 and would like the Lakers to make a run at someone who can knock down the 3 and play D...Danny Green. 

I wonder if the Lakers' will now dangle Clarkson out there to see what they can return for him. I can't see a future backcourt of Russell / Clarkson working out too well. 

I don't think most realistic Laker fans expect the team to be playoff bound next year and I'm really just hoping they improve while their 2016 first round pick isn't a top pick since they likely won't be keeping it.  I'm fine with the Russel pick (still would have preferred Okafor but there's more quality bigs in FA) and think the Nance Jr. pick was a bit early but he seems like a good bench guy and was obviously someone they had higher than most on their board.  I'd really like to see the Lakers end up with Marc Gasol who's a true C who rebounds, plays very good D and is a good passer for a guy his size.  From what's been said about Aldridge not wanting to play C I don't think he's a good fit.  To be honest though I'd be content with the Lakers adding any legit big to improve their front court and let them worry about what that means for a guy like Randle later.  

Randle could get minutes in a variety of ways without being the starter at PF.  Aldridge doesn't want play center full-time, but hopefully wouldn't mind getting minutes there in certain lineups.  If Aldridge is willing to slide to center for 7-8 minutes per game against primarily backup centers or against small lineups, that allows 28 minutes for Randle at PF.  And Randle might be able to get 2-4 minutes at SF in certain lineups, too.  Minutes are not my worry.  A huge dropoff in talent is.

My opinion is that Russell's biggest weaknesses are more easily fixable/coachable than Okafors, and I would have been fine with either selection at #2.