• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I consider a guy who has put up 26 and 12 multiple times in the NBA a playmaker. 

In the NBA point will be scored, so points are going to happen.  Cedric Ceballos was awful and averaged 21 points a game.  So 26 points a game isn’t a big deal.  Michael Adams averaged 26 points and 10 assists one season.  

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

Are you joking me with this? Kevin Love has career averages of 18 and 11 through his age 29 season. That’s better than Pau Gasol’s career numbers, who is on his way to the hall of fame.

with all due respect, how the fuck is that not a playmaker? 

Who’s the better player?  Gasol or Love?

Well Love was really good when he was the main guy in Minnesota because in basketball even if your team sucks someone has to score because basically every team scores 90 points a night.  Also someone has to get rebounds.  I am not saying Love sucks, but his numbers early on in my opinion are more a product of being the best player on a so so team.  

Gasol and Love are tough comparisons due to the fact Gasol is a multiple-time champion with our Lakers.  Prior to being traded to the Lakers, I would've probably viewed Gasol similar to Love.  Best player on a bad to mediocre team.  As Strad has said, many players throughout NBA history have had good statistical seasons putting up useless stats in that environment.  Move them to a better team with higher expectations and less usage, and many players fade and become nice role players, but no longer stars.  I think Gasol brings more to the table than Love and was a capable Robin to Kobe's Batman.  I don't think any team is winning a championship with Love as their primary Robin.  He's a better Alfred.

Let me ask you this.  Love is a good player.  He can shoot, can rebound.  Would you want him on this Lakers team?  He is potentially available in trade?  Would you be willing to trade for him and, if so, what would you trade to get him?  We acquired Pau at 27, almost the same age Cleveland got Love.  Pau at 29 was a Laker averaging 18.3 pts and 11 rebounds, Love is averaging 17.9 and 9.4.  Similar stats, but to me, not the same value or impact.

Here's another way to look at Love and his value as a "superstar" in Minnesota.  He averaged 26 and 13 in his two best seasons up there.  Kevin Garnett never averaged that many points while in Minnesota, although roughly the same rebounding (slightly more).  Garnett has more gravity than Love though, and it's not close.  It's about effect on the game.  Do you elevate others with your talent and gravity, or just accumulate stats.  Not sure if that's the definition of "playmaker", but maybe it should be.

Actually, Love making the HOF is an interesting argument.  He might based on the criteria you throw out:  18 ppg and 11 rpg for a career.  Doesn't seem to be anyone fitting that criteria out of the HOF.  There are a couple of guys who have averaged around 11 rebounds per game for a career that didn't make the hall (they didn't score nearly as much, around 10-11 ppg), but just about every other retired player did.  There are a lot of guys who aren't in the hall that averaged more ppg game than Love for a career, a few of which I'm surprised didn't/haven't made it and that I'd likely prefer on my team (Chris Weber, Mark Aguirre).  Time will tell but there seems to be a solid argument there.

12 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

It’s more “regular” than a lot of other stars can say, that’s for sure. And obviously the first couple years were a growing period for those Cavs team because he came into a terrible franchise as a number one pick. 

Once they were an established team, which was by year 3 of 7, the Cavs averaged 55 games over a five year period, were a 1-2 seed every year, and were either in the Easton conference semis, the ECF, or finals. 2/5 times in the eastern conference finals or finals when they were a legitimate franchise. So yes, I say that’s close. 

Seen other superstars in situations way worse.

In that case, Pujols regularly gets a hit. 

Mavs are playing better basketball right now.  Played Houston really tight into the third quarter last night.  Lakers won't miss Clarkson much, but Nance may be another thing altogether.  He brings a little defensive glue and we may miss that.  Got some time off to get a little practice in and work the new guys in.

On 2/10/2018 at 11:00 AM, HaloJustinBieber said:

Here's another way to look at Love and his value as a "superstar" in Minnesota.  He averaged 26 and 13 in his two best seasons up there.  Kevin Garnett never averaged that many points while in Minnesota, although roughly the same rebounding (slightly more).  Garnett has more gravity than Love though, and it's not close.  It's about effect on the game.  Do you elevate others with your talent and gravity, or just accumulate stats.  Not sure if that's the definition of "playmaker", but maybe it should be.

to me, kevin love is not a player that you build your team around, but he's an essential complementary part if you have a superstar talent. he's one of the guys i'd work hard to get if i had a lebron or curry or durant on my team.

HOF career for love? quite possibly but not sure if he's there yet.

Just shut up, LaVar!!!!!!!     Are you trying to get Vince McMahon to hire you as a loud mouthed heel manager?

Another ugly loss yesterday to a so-so Pelicans team without Cousins, I guess Nance Jr. was a difference defensively?

Rondo is a real tool!   Instigating and getting he and Thomas kicked out of the game?   All just because he's bent that Thomas was being honored by the Celtics before him?    Maybe if you weren't such a dill weed while in Boston Rondo, maybe they would have honored you before Thomas?   So glad the Lakers didn't acquire that chump!

Agree, the D has been nonexistent.  I wish it was primarily the Nance trade, but his exodus shouldn't have affected the play of the starting unit.  They are still intact, but not defending as they were.  Maybe just need to get some practices in over the all-star break to re-emphasize the defensive principles.

On 2/16/2018 at 12:15 PM, HaloJustinBieber said:

Better game from the team last night.  Felt like Minnesota got a lot of whistles that the Lakers weren't getting.  Ultimately, the 4th quarter had too many turnovers and the offense sputtered.  Very winnable game that having a closer would've likely guaranteed.

look, i don't care how many ways you put it - i'm NOT coming out of retirement!! please stop asking.