• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Scherzer is going to get an undeserved Cy Young

I agree that Scherzer is going to get extra credit because of his record, which is dumb.

But I don't know about "an undeserved Cy Young", he's still an awfully good candidate for the award at the very least, putting W-L record aside.

Edited by jshep

Well it's not like Wins are the only thing he has going for him. He leads the league in WHIP (Darvish is 3rd), he's in the top 10 in IP (Darvish is 17th), he's 2nd in K's (behind Darvish) and 4th in ERA (Darvish is 2nd). So really, Darvish is ahead of Scherzer in 2 of the major categories, while Scherzer is ahead in 2 as well. I don't really see Darvish being the "frontrunner".

With Hernandez likely out of the running due to today's performance, Darvish should be the frontrunner for the award. However, all people are talking about is Scherzer's wins like they're actually useful for evaluating a pitcher.

Although I agree wins aren't a useful measurement tool, Scherzer clearly is a front runner in a very narrow group that would include Darvish. I am not sure why you are upset about his placement?

Also there is still time left in the season. Scherzer or Darvish could get blown up like Hernandez did today. All three have done very well this season.

Scherzer will probably be a near unanimous selection. He leads the AL in pitcher WAR, he's about .10 points shy of the AL lead in ERA, fourth in ERA- just 4 points shy of the lead, second in strikeouts, third in SIERA (though way behind Darvish), and there is no one pitcher consistently ahead of him in any of these stats. And of course he is 19-1.

Darvish, Sanchez, Kuroda, and Hernandez will all split the votes for second place.

19-1 on Aug. 28 incredibly impressive. W/L record may not be the end all be all, but come on, people, at least acknowledge that his record is eye popping. Then add in the other numbers and you really shouldn't be surprised he's the front-runner, no matter your "advanced metrics."

He's not the front-runner because he's 19-1. He's the front-runner because he's 19-1 with all of the other rankings listed above. ERA isn't the end all be all, either, folks. You've gotta stick around in games in order to win them a lot of the time.