• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Richards Last Six Starts: 2.75 ERA

The man is earning a spot in the rotation next year for sure and this is great news.  It is one less need to fill.

They will just need to fill two rotation spots for 2014.

My guess is they will attempt to trade for a starter and then they'll need to sign one.  There are some decent available via FA next year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=978,6176,126,512,1701,1292,769,375,2047,6283,3886,4684,1077,232,3340,1303,4538,1451,1757,3273,921,7450,3374,4567,5879,4897,3283,4930,1259,833,5705,8678,6204,105,3830,571,5203,840,2586,7507,3200,755,4366,7059,8044,1011,3990,2074,412,3196,944,1783,6432&sort=19,d

I'm just really proud and happy for Richards.

He did a real nice job tonight.  I would still like to see him get one more pitch to go with his fastball and curve ball.  Maybe a real effective change up, something around 72 - 75 mph.

A change up is supposed to go 10 miles slower than a fastball, not 20. Richards is finally showing some of his potential and unless something crazy happens he should be in the rotation next year.

GB you assume Vargas will want to stay here after this craptastic year. I can imagine a contender offering him quite a bit of money to be their 4th starter.

Well, he isn't doing well right now.  He's also from So Cal, and I don't think his experience with the Angels team has been a negative.  How the team as a whole is performing might not sit well, but 

Now the Angels could force the issue and offer him arbitration.  Because I don't think he is a +$13 million a year player.  He's a good player, but not someone that a team would consider losing a first rounder to.

I like Richards.  I see a lot of potential there, but if we go into next season with him as our #3, we are in deep caca.  I like the idea of keeping Vargas as well, but we need someone of Weaver/Wilson caliber to even remotely compete. 

And the bullpen blows.  Frieri's secondary pitches have looked better as of late, but  we need a closer, another 7th/8th inning guy, and maybe even one more.  A lack of pitching depth was one of the biggest problems for this team.  Maybe keep DDLR in addition to Ernest, but to me, everyone else can go. 

really is awesome to see. Like Gubicza i always thought he had the stuff to be a great pitcher but I couldn't figure out why he wasn't putting up the numbers. Now he's finally showing his potential. His one bad start (last start) could have been way better if Cowgill caught the flyball 

I don't get why we need to trade for one.  

CJ, Weaver, Richards, and hopefully Vargas.  You just need a 4/5, like a Hughes or a Garza.  

Um...Garza would be our #3, maybe #2 on this team.  He is a strong pitcher.

I'd love to see:  Weaver, Wilson, Garza/pitcher via trade, Richards, Vargas/Hughes

That is a solid rotation.

I like Richards.  I see a lot of potential there, but if we go into next season with him as our #3, we are in deep caca.  I like the idea of keeping Vargas as well, but we need someone of Weaver/Wilson caliber to even remotely compete. 

I think Garza is on par with Wilson, but I'd prefer the Angels trade for a #2/#3 pitcher.

Weaver is ace by default but he's a 1.5 or a 2 starter, Wilson is a solid 3, Vargas is a decent 4, I'd offer him arb, and Richards can be depended on to be the 5 until he can prove himself over a season.  What the team needs is a starter somewhere between Weaver and Wilson to complete the rotation.  

The BP is a different story...I'd keep De La Rosa, Frieri, Kohn..I'd keep Williams for depth and hopefully Rasmus can work out.  That's five but considering injuries and regression they probably need 3-4 new arms.  Berg, Morin, and Maronde should be given long looks as well.

Just brilliant.

Through 107 innings pitched this year, his GB% is 59%. As a starter, his GB% is 58%. That makes him the 5th most extreme ground ball pitcher among starting pitchers this year with a minimum of 50 innings pitched.

As long as he continues to limit walks and generate grounders at such an extreme rate, he should be a good #2. And if he ever starts adding in more strikeouts, his ceiling is probably that of a #1.

Weaver/Wilson/Richards makes a solid trio for next season, but the Angels still need 2 serviceable (and probably better than serviceable) starting pitchers next year.