• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Headley put on waivers

eaterfan

Jeez, the Padres sold the taxpayers and fans a bill of goods.  All they needed was a stadium, and they'd compete, they said.

Of course, its same old Padres in a better stadium.

Oh, so they weren't competitive in their first four years (and five of their first seven) in the new stadium?

Oh, so they weren't competitive in their first four years (and five of their first seven) in the new stadium?

No.

Two first place finishes - one winning 82 games, one winning 87 games.

Got swept the first time in the LDS.  Lost the first two in the second playoff year and lost the series 3-1.

Never had a lead in the six playoff games they lost.

Haven't sniffed the playoffs since. 

"Head them off at the pass?    I hate that cliche.   Bang!   Ouch!"

"What's so great about that?"   "Through the Vatican?"   "KINKY!"

"Chewing gum in line?   I hope you have enough for the rest of us!"

I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists!

I think Headley would be a perfect buy low guy. Trade Trumbo, kendrick or Bourjos for him.

If he doesn't bounce back offensively, at least they have a guy who plays solid defense.

If he does bounce back to 2012 form, they could let him walk and get a nice draft pick out of it.

I think Headley would be a perfect buy low guy. Trade Trumbo, kendrick or Bourjos for him.

If he doesn't bounce back offensively, at least they have a guy who plays solid defense.

If he does bounce back to 2012 form, they could let him walk and get a nice draft pick out of it.

God no. Maybe Trumbo but Kendrick is better and cheaper and has 3 years of club control left.

You can't trade guys with 3 years of club control for a guy with one year of club control who has one outlier season and has been pretty average beyond that. This team needs to acquire long term assets not rentals. If you can get Headley without giving up talent then do it but I wouldn't give up any real prospect or contributor for him.

That's buying low?

no thanks. 

the Pads aren't gonna want a current mlb player.  They will want prospects.  Trading prospects for a guy that is just as likely to put up an ops+ about league average isn't going to help this club. 

You can't even come close to assuming that Chase will ever be the guy he was last year.

For whatever it would cost, you are much more likely to get a better net increase in value on the pitching side. 

No.

Two first place finishes - one winning 82 games, one winning 87 games.

Got swept the first time in the LDS.  Lost the first two in the second playoff year and lost the series 3-1.

Never had a lead in the six playoff games they lost.

Haven't sniffed the playoffs since. 

So, let me get this straight:

Two division championships, another year in which they got beaten out of the wild card slot by a phantom tag of home plate by Matt Holliday in the 14th inning of the 163rd game of the year, another in which they finished two games behind the eventual world champion is NOT competitive?

You have awfully high standards for what "competitive" is.

Had you read my post, you would know that I was suggesting trading with whichever NL club (they have first dibs) decides to claim him, with a deal sending one of our trade-able players in return.

Are you responding to my post? 

I wasn't directly responding to you but more in general

But I do disagree with you nonetheless.  Whatever we have that is tradeable is better served to use for pitching upgrades.  The added value of Headley at 3b is less than the added value of a SP to replace Blanton or Hanson. 

no thanks. 

the Pads aren't gonna want a current mlb player.  They will want prospects.  Trading prospects for a guy that is just as likely to put up an ops+ about league average isn't going to help this club. 

You can't even come close to assuming that Chase will ever be the guy he was last year.

For whatever it would cost, you are much more likely to get a better net increase in value on the pitching side. 

FTR, I'm with you on not TRADING for him.  But if the Pads are willing to let him go to get rid of his contract..   I'd take that "risk".

FTR, I'm with you on not TRADING for him.  But if the Pads are willing to let him go to get rid of his contract..   I'd take that "risk".

oh for sure.  I just can't imagine there wouldn't be some team willing to at least give up a couple of prospects for him this off season. 

Even in a down year though, I would think the Padres could get something for him if they're willing to sell on him.

He's still putting up an OPS+ of almost exactly league average and his defense is still fine. Given the underwhelming talent at 3B behind the elite guys, I would think someone would give at least a little something for the chance he bounces back/getting out of Petco helps him.

I agree that if he were to make it to the Angels on waivers(which also seems unlikely), it would be worth it if the Padres were just going to give him away, but...