• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Headley put on waivers

eaterfan

Per a tweet from John Heyman. Should the Angels put a claim on him? He's not having a great year and his 2012 looks like a bit of a fluke. Also owed $8.75 next year. He could bounce back and either contribute next year or at least make HK more tradeable. He could also bring in some talent at the deadline if the Angels feel they are out of it.

I think with their priority the Angels would have a decent shot of claiming him if they wanted to. Would the Pads let him go as just a salary dump?

Per a tweet from John Heyman. Should the Angels put a claim on him? He's not having a great year and his 2012 looks like a bit of a fluke. Also owed $8.75 next year. He could bounce back and either contribute next year or at least make HK more tradeable. He could also bring in some talent at the deadline if the Angels feel they are out of it.

Aren't you the guy always talking "rebuild?" How does Headley help you do that?

Aren't you the guy always talking "rebuild?" How does Headley help you do that?

It's not a long term commitment and if it doesn't cost any young talent it doesn't hurt a rebuild in any real way. (It may cost us a few slots in draft position if he plays decently). It is at the very least a tradeable asset in the offseason, at the deadline or can net the Halos a 1st round pick if he plays well enough to garner a qualifying offer at the end of 2014.

I think with their priority the Angels would have a decent shot of claiming him if they wanted to. Would the Pads let him go as just a salary dump?

Isn't he arbitration eligible this off season? More importantly would his salary go up and by how much if so? Also just one season? We don't really have the money to extend him if we are serious about offering Trout an extension.

I'd take a flyer on him.  He will have one more year of arb before he is a free agent.  He made $8.5 million last year.  He'll probably make the same next year.  He's at a .695 OPS this season.  But it's in Petco, and last season he had a .875 OPS.  Thirdbasemen just aren't around enough anymore.  Oh, and you WAR fans, with a .695 OPS, he still has a 2.3 WAR this season.  

So yeah, put a claim in.  See if he falls to us.  

I'd take a flyer on him.  He will have one more year of arb before he is a free agent.  He made $8.5 million last year.  He'll probably make the same next year.  He's at a .695 OPS this season.  But it's in Petco, and last season he had a .875 OPS.  Thirdbasemen just aren't around enough anymore.  Oh, and you WAR fans, with a .695 OPS, he still has a 2.3 WAR this season.  

I'm sure Eppy could fix him.

He actually has a higher OPS (.725) at Petco this season than on the road (.668).

He actually has a higher OPS (.725) at Petco this season than on the road (.668).

Yikes, should have looked at his splits.  Still, there is a chance he could get better.  

IMO, he is much better than what we have now, and when you are banking on a .577 OPS hitter in AA as your only hope, it doesn't look like that bad of an option.  

I'd claim him, but if he falls to us, not sure the Padres would really trade him.  I'm sure they would want too much and we don't really have the pieces that would look attractive to them.

This is the Padres.  And having to pay him $8.75ish million next year might be motivation enough to trade him.  

The big question is what would they want.  MLB players or prospects?  Or MLB players with lot's of control left.  In a perfect world, Nelson and Cowgill.  But we don't live in a perfect world.  Although Cowgill has been looking good.  Except for the play on Saturday, looks like he's a good defender in the OF, with a plus arm.  And while people don't like his hitting, he does have a .752 OPS with us.  

Again, not ideal, but if their main focus is shedding that payroll.  /crosses fingers.

wouldn't want to take on his contract for 2014........several teams will claim Headley and the Padres will recall the waivers........

we need to preserve whatever payroll dollars we will have left (after paying for Pujols and Hamilton contracts and then paying guys like Blanton for not pitching for us next year) for rotation help. we'll have Weaver, CJ and I hope we re-sign Vargas who pitched well for us before his blood clot issue and DL time.....Garrett Richards steps up into the rotation.........so we need a decent number three or four guy and maybe one more rotation arm for depth (not Jerome Williams). 

Then we need some pen help.

We could also use a new pitching coach.

I think Scioscia probably stays (even if it might be time to make a change)........but he needs to change his 'stick to the formula' policy on pitching issues and have the rotation (above) which would be OK but not great -- and then supplement that with a strong pen of arms --- pre set-up guys, set up guys and a closer who can switch off with the set up guy(s) from time to time to keep the opposing team off stride and guessing........look at Atlanta - good rotation and good pen...........KC is a team that utilizes the pen well with an OK rotation.

We went through years of good pitching and no offense and finished out of it that way -- and that seemed to lead to the over spending on offense at the expense of pitching and we've done more than just finished out of it this year.........we've never been in it from day one........back to making pitching the top priority for payroll dollars during this off-season.