• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Miguel Tejada To Be Suspended For 105 Games

12:56pm: Royals infielder Miguel Tejada will be suspended for 105 games by MLB for the use of the banned amphetamine Adderall, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports. Passan explains that, as Tejada had already tested positive in the past, two more recent positive tests provided the basis for the suspension, which is the third-longest in MLB history. (The second positive test resulted in a 25-game ban, with the third adding an additional 80 games.)

Tejada has elected not to appeal the suspension. Already on the 60-day DL, his suspension will nevertheless be applied over this season's 41 remaining games. Passan says that the 39-year-old former MVP is expected to retire rather than sit out the 64 additional games at the beginning of next year.

After failing to make a big-league appearance in 2012, Tejada signed a minor league deal with the Royals this past off-season. Appearing primarily at second and third, Tejada had posted a reasonably productive .288/.317/.378 line over 167 plate appearances for the Royals this season.

1:25pm: Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweets that Tejada did file an appeal, but he ultimately lost and will serve the entirety of the 105-game ban.

That's a weird drug? A doctor prescribed it to a friend of mine a while back and it all it did was make him ridiculously hyper. 

It's supposed to be for those with ADHD but it seems everyone is getting their hands on it these days. It's actually becoming a problem.

Steroid allegations[edit source | editbeta]

On September 22, 2005, ESPN reported that Rafael Palmeiro, who had tested positive for steroids and was suspended for 10 games under Major League Baseball's steroid policy, implicated Tejada to baseball's arbitration panel, suggesting that a supplement given to him by Tejada was responsible for the steroid entering his system. Tejada has denied the allegations,[17] saying that the only thing he gave Palmeiro was vitamin B-12, a completely legal substance under current MLB policy.

On September 24, 2005, the Baltimore Sun reported that "The Health Policy Advisory Committee, which oversees baseball's testing policy, issued a statement that exonerated Tejada and chastised the media for reporting that he might have distributed steroids to another player."[18]

In José Canseco's 2005 book, Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits & How Baseball Got Big, he mentions that he believes Tejada might have taken steroids. He claims to have spoken to him about them and the next season seeing him at spring training looking more defined. He never claims to have injected him with them, like he did with Palmeiro, McGwire and other ballplayers.

On September 30, 2006 the Los Angeles Times reported that former relief pitcher Jason Grimsley, during a June 6, 2006 federal raid, told federal agents investigating steroids in baseball named Tejada as a user of "anabolic steroids." The Times reported that Tejada was one of five names blacked out in an affidavit filed in federal court.[19] However, on October 3, 2006, the Washington Post reported that San Francisco United States attorney Kevin Ryan said that the Los Angeles Times report contained "significant inaccuracies."[20] Tejada, along with the other four players named, has denounced the story.[20]

On December 13, 2007, Tejada was mentioned in the Mitchell Report in connection to steroids. In the report, Tejada is said to have received $1,500 worth of steroids.[21]

A report surfaced on January 15, 2008 stating that Rep. Henry Waxman had asked the Justice Department to investigate whether Tejada was truthful when speaking to the House committee when being interviewed in 2005 regarding possible connections to Rafael Palmeiro.[22][23]

On February 10, 2009, Tejada was charged with lying to Congress about performance enhancing drug usage in Major League Baseball.[24] On February 11, Tejada pleaded guilty to charges that he lied to Congress in 2005.[25] He faced up to one year in federal prison and deportation.[26] On March 26, 2009, he received a one year probation.[27]

On August 17, 2013, while on the disabled list with the Royals, Tejada was suspended 105 games for testing positive twice for amphetamines.[28]

Age[edit source | editbeta]

On April 17, 2008, Tejada was confronted by an ESPN reporter during a sit-down interview with documentation revealing that Tejada had been lying about his age ever since he first signed a Major League Baseball contract in 1993. Tejada had claimed to have been born in 1976 when a Dominican birth certificate showed that he was born in 1974. That birth certificate also shows the spelling of his surname as "Tejeda" rather than "Tejada".[21][29] He struggled to take off his microphone and kept questioning who the interviewer was referring to. Tejada stormed off the set, ending the interview.

Before the interview was aired in April 22, 2008, he acknowledged this fact.[30]

that[s it for Tejada then..........saw him play in the World Baseball Classic games up at AT& T in SF and then he got back into MLB with KC.

yeah, it's too bad it ends this way but he's a multi-violation guy -- I am surprised he's not facing a lifetime ban........well, effectively that's what  105 game ban is for him........

oh well.

A few? Last year there were 116 medical exemptions for ADD in MLB. That is an average of about 4 players per team.

Well than i guess there were more than i thought. I don't look up the MLB players ADD/ADHD/Adderall statistics. I just knew about Kinsler because i saw a commercial about it on MLB Extra Innings a few years ago LOL

That's quite a list of infractions angelram. I guess I mis-remembered the syringe/ supplement fact regarding Palmiero and Tejada. I wonder how many positive tests he had that were not considered " dirty" because he had an exemption. And if he played all those years with an exemption why wouldn't MLB recognize his latest tests as a paperwork oversight? Hmmmmm ......will have to give this some thought.

I am familiar with Adderall. My nephew took it for a while for ADHD. I had no idea what the benefit could be to athletes, so I did a little digging. From an article on the drug, which is apparently also becoming a problem for the NFL, NASCAR and even Lindsay Lohan:

The potential lure becomes obvious when Dr. Gary Wadler, past chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency's Prohibited List Committee, begins listing off the benefits of Adderall to an athlete.

"It masks fatigue, masks pain, increases arousal — like being in The Zone," begins Wadler, currently an associate professor of medicine at Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine, in a phone interview.

"It increases alertness, aggressiveness, attention and concentration. It improves reaction time, especially when fatigued. Some think it enhances hand-eye coordination. Some believe it increases the mental aspects of performance."

That's not to mention possible increases in acceleration, speed, strength and power that accrue to Adderall users. It's no wonder that Wadler calls Adderall "one of the quintessential performance-enhancing drugs. There's no question it's a performance-enhancing drug."

Here is a link to the full article Adderall has become a popular drug for athletes trying to gain an edge in the Seattle Times, from November 27, 2012.

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2019776708_adderall28.html

I'm on aderall with a dose of 10 mg. I just got prescribed it by my doctor about 2 weeks ago. I've had severe add for my entire life and it's hell. Studying is damn near impossible since my mind starts wandering almost immediately. To be honest I haven't noticed much of a difference in my mental state since starting on it. I tried taking two pills once and I just got a really dry mouth feeling most of the day.

I am familiar with Adderall. My nephew took it for a while for ADHD. I had no idea what the benefit could be to athletes, so I did a little digging. From an article on the drug, which is apparently also becoming a problem for the NFL, NASCAR and even Lindsay Lohan:

The potential lure becomes obvious when Dr. Gary Wadler, past chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency's Prohibited List Committee, begins listing off the benefits of Adderall to an athlete.

"It masks fatigue, masks pain, increases arousal — like being in The Zone," begins Wadler, currently an associate professor of medicine at Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine, in a phone interview.

"It increases alertness, aggressiveness, attention and concentration. It improves reaction time, especially when fatigued. Some think it enhances hand-eye coordination. Some believe it increases the mental aspects of performance."

That's not to mention possible increases in acceleration, speed, strength and power that accrue to Adderall users. It's no wonder that Wadler calls Adderall "one of the quintessential performance-enhancing drugs. There's no question it's a performance-enhancing drug."

Here is a link to the full article Adderall has become a popular drug for athletes trying to gain an edge in the Seattle Times, from November 27, 2012.

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2019776708_adderall28.html

That's a great explanation. I'd been wondering how this drug was helpful.