• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Dipoto's more likely to get fired instead of Scioscia

Country club spring training

Lack of fundamentals

Awful defense

Poor in game decisions

No individual improvement in pitching staff

I'm still a Mike Scioscia fan and always will be, but its time for him to go.

Let DiPoto put his (or Arte's) guy in there and see if they can salvage this, or build something.

If that doesn't work out, then whoever makes those decisions needs to no longer be making them, ( Jerry or Arte).

Halos are in the top 1/3 of MLB in nearly all offensive categories, and in the top 5-6 in several. 

They're second in runs allowed, ahead only of the Astros, and in the bottom 5-6 in MLB in most pitching stats.    

Which pitchers would have performed better with a different manager?  Or to put it more succinctly, which pitchers are so unprofessional, they need a new manager to perform better?

It's not about players being "unprofessional". It's a manager's job to MANAGE the talent on the team. Bottom line is that Sosh has not put the team in a position to win. The players just aren't responding to the voice in the clubhouse.

I'm not saying that Sosh is a bad manager. He's a great baseball guy, just not for this team. That's just the way baseball is. The team Sosh managed from 2002-2010 has changed dramatically. A team can be horrible one year, then with a new manager completely turn it around. Happens all the time in baseball, so apparently the manager does have a big impact on a team's performance. It's not because one year players were being "unprofessional" one year, then all of a sudden became "professional" the next.

With the team putting up good offensive numbers, they should have more wins. But it's not all the fault of pitching. Here are some horrible fundamental team stats.

Errors- Worst in AL

Fielding %: Worst in AL

Outs on basepaths: Worst in AL

GIDP: Worst in AL (By a good margin)

So the team can get on base, but are offsetting that with mindless outs. They are also giving away runs in the field and making the pitchers earn more outs. There is a lack of focus on fundamentals as a team, and not by a couple of individuals.

Arte and Dipoto gave Sosh an extremely competitive team to lead on the field. He has failed miserably this year. Sosh will be gone first, regardless of his contract. Team needs a new energy in the clubhouse, and that is something Arte or Dipoto can't do themselves.

Time to cut the BS!  This was not a competitive team from the start!  Our starting pitching had a #4 and #5 pitchers that were almost a guarantee loss.  Those two positions were question marks from the start.  So why are we suprised that 40% losses right then.

Second, this team had no depth at starting pitcher.  So when Weaver and later Vargas going down we pretty much were giving away  another loss every five days.  That is three losses our of five.  Just about our record right now.

Third, our bullpen stunk last year, stunk the before, and we pretty much went with the same bullpen with the exception of Burnett who have been injured almost the entire year.

This team was never a competitive team.  The only way it was going to be competitive was if it was lucky!

Now, I don't know if it was Dipoto's fault.  He inherited a franchise with little help on the farm.  He also inherited a franchise that has made several panic moves to stay competitive.  He had to make a choice to either keep two under achieving starters for tens of millions or go with a different direction.  So I am not advocating firing anyone, but it bugs the shit out of me how anyone can say this team was supposed to be competitive.

I guess if Pujols and Hamilton were MVP candidates along with Trout we could have beaten teams 10-9.  But they are not playing like MVP candidates.  Again, they WERE hoping things were happen.  They were banking on luck.

Lets cut the BS, NOBODY thought the team was going to be sub 500.

Hurray, we made the preseason polls!  

Seriously, nobody is blaming Dipoto for the injuries, but the pitching staff sucks.  When a large portion of the eggs in your basket is a pitcher coming off surgery, it's not a great basket.

I think most thought the offense would be better, and the pitching would be not this horrible. The Blanton signing was just retarded. I won't give Jerry too much fault for Hanson being as awful as he has, since that was a gamble that unfortunately didn't pay off. However, it seems like almost every move Jerry has made has been a gamble that didn't pay off.

What in-season adjustments did Dipoto make beides nothing?

I actually don't blame him for that.  You lose weaver, bourjos, hanson and aybar early on.  Hamilton sucked from day one. 

To panic and start trading guys away after 50 games is a pretty bad idea.  Everyone would assume that Hamilton would come around and Blanton would pitch closer to his career norm as opposed to being the worst pitcher in baseball.  Also, with those guys injured, their tradeability goes away and you have to keep your extra guys to cover them.  You have no minor league system to supplement pitching so you are pretty much dancing with the girl you brought. 

I actually don't blame him for that.  You lose weaver, bourjos, hanson and aybar early on.  Hamilton sucked from day one. 

To panic and start trading guys away after 50 games is a pretty bad idea.  Everyone would assume that Hamilton would come around and Blanton would pitch closer to his career norm as opposed to being the worst pitcher in baseball.  Also, with those guys injured, their tradeability goes away and you have to keep your extra guys to cover them.  You have no minor league system to supplement pitching so you are pretty much dancing with the girl you brought.

I guess my point is, are we really going to be better next season with this current group?

I just wish Dipoto had fully understood that Santana always rebounds after a bad season, and was going to be in a contract season.

Imagine want they could have gotten for him in late July. A lot more than Sisk.

And you really think Santana could repeat his performance in KC in Anaheim?  

I don't, because IMO he would have crumbled at the first sign of stress.  It's a lot less stressful preforming in an empty stadium.  22k is their average attendance in KC.

And you really think Santana could repeat his performance in KC in Anaheim?  

I don't, because IMO he would have crumbled at the first sign of stress.  It's a lot less stressful preforming in an empty stadium.  22k is their average attendance in KC.

That's not why.

KC has the best defense in the majors is the difference.

Lets cut the BS, NOBODY thought the team was going to be sub 500

A team with two pitchers that are almost guaranteed to lose, a bull pen that is one of the worst in the majors (again for 4th straight year) in keeping the lead, that loses its #1 pitcher for 6 weeks, loses its most effective pitcher for 2 months, its starting CF who at the time was leading the team in hitting, your SS for 6 weeks, your MOJO #3 hitter playing on half a leg, and your only improvement in your bullpen for the year, so LETS CUT THE BS:  KNOWING ALL THIS, WHO THE HELL WOULD EXPECT THIS TEAM TO BE ABOVE 500?

And I didn't even mention your 125 million dollar investment playing like Vernon Wells!

42 out of 44 ESPN Analysts had the Angels going to the Postseason.  Seems like they should have been competitive at the start.

I believe someone posted facts that this wasn't true.  Even if  it was, I don't trust ESPN analyst anymore than I trust anyone on this board.  

Going in we new Blanton sucked, Hanson was a question mark, Masdan was a gamble, our bullpen a question mark.  This team was a flawed team from the get go and there isn't enough cool aid out there to convince me other wise.  For the sake of this debate, I am not sure if its Dipoto's fault, but you guys are all blind if you really thought this was a great team.  The only way this team was making the playoffs was if:  No one got hurt, Hanson took a time machine back four years, Blanton didn't suck AS BAD as expected, and our bullpen despite no changes would improve.  In other words, you were hoping we would get lucky!

I believe someone posted facts that this wasn't true.  Even if  it was, I don't trust ESPN analyst anymore than I trust anyone on this board.  

Going in we new Blanton sucked, Hanson was a question mark, Masdan was a gamble, our bullpen a question mark.  This team was a flawed team from the get go and there isn't enough cool aid out there to convince me other wise.  For the sake of this debate, I am not sure if its Dipoto's fault, but you guys are all blind if you really thought this was a great team.  The only way this team was making the playoffs was if:  No one got hurt, Hanson took a time machine back four years, Blanton didn't suck AS BAD as expected, and our bullpen despite no changes would improve.  In other words, you were hoping we would get lucky!

3 of 4  http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb--mlb-season-predictions--2013-division-and-playoff-races-055136969.html

42 of 44 http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview13/story/_/page/13expertpicks/espn-expert-team-predictions-2013-baseball-season

5 of 6 http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21969577/2013-mlb-cbssportscom-expert-predictions

those are the main one's I found.