• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Enjoy Trout While He's Still Here

ghoetke

What do the playoffs really have to do with anything over such a large scale of time?  Baseball, despite it's lack of a hard cap, has some of the most parity involved out of all sports out there.  Since 2001, 15 of the 30 teams in baseball have been to a world series.  

Especially with the resources that we have, it isn't likely that we're going to completely suck for the next 10+ years.  Trout knows this as well, and he has the chance to play for one franchise his entire career as a HoF player.  I'm sure that isn't taken lightly, and there's worse places to be than Southern California.

isn't he a mets and phillies fan? if one of them offered him the most money it would probably make his dream come true.

he grew up a Phillies fan from what I understand.  But the Phillies are in a similar situation as the Angels - aging players, bloated contracts, need time to rebuild.  And the Mets are well, the Mets.  Baltimore is close to his hometown, loaded with young talent, have money to spend, and in the midst of a resurgence.

I feel like the angels have inherited too many bad contracts with Pujols, Wells, and Hamilton. and they wont have enough to resign Trout now.  

I think Arte will drop the ball on Trout and try to sign him for real cheap since resigning your own players doesn't give big headlines, and Trout will end up moving on.  That's all Arte is about - big headlines.......and not putting a good product out on the field.

Wells comes off the books after next year and Hamilton comes off just before Trout would reach free agency. The Angels will have plenty of money to resign Trout as long as they don't find new giant piles of shit to step in.

This thread brought to you by Eeyore, Oscar, Debbie Downer and those who believe every silver lining has a storm cloud.

I get that it's a pessimistic point of view, but in the other thread you stated that you have no faith in Arte and Dipoto's decision making ability, so don't you have to be a little pessimistic about them locking him up?  Look at how the team has treated Trout so far.  He has one of the greatest rookie seasons of all time, and then:

1) they nickel and dime him on a raise, making him embarrassinngly underpaid.

2) he's moved from his preferred defensive position (where he excelled and made numerous highlight reel catches) to start the year and is only playing CF now because of injuries.

3) his lineup spot has changed often over the course of the season

4) his running game has been stifled somewhat in order to not take away RBI opportunities from guys who aren't driving him in anyway

Combine these things with the fact that he's on the other side of the country from his hometown/family, playing the majority of his games on the west coast where there is less national exposure, on a bad team with past their prime players and awful contracts and the worst farm system in baseball . . ..  I don't think it's a stretch to imagine Trout leaving in a few years.  To completely dismiss the idea is to bury your head in the sand somewhat, IMO.

Put simply, he's a winner not a loser. An incredible talent and a throwback to the Golden Era when baseball was truly our national past time. It's highly doubtful we re-sign him.

i bet he signs with the St Louis Browns

isn't he a mets and phillies fan? if one of them offered him the most money it would probably make his dream come true.

how can one be a Mets AND Phillies fan ? Regardless I think the Angels will do all they can do to keep him - will he accept ? Hard to say I sure hope so - how long is he under club control ?

Am I the only one tired of these "Trout will leave" posts?

not by a longshot.

it's like wall street on oct. 30, 1929 around here. i think quite a few aw.com members need to stay away from bridges and high ledgers for the next four or five years.

A kid, perhaps the most talented player in baseball since the Mick, with the boundless energy and winning enthusiam of youth, wants to stay with his team because:

1.  His team lowballed him with a 20K raise for having the best rookie season ever and nearly being MLB MVP...while the team shells out hundreds of millions of dollars on extended contracts for old, washed up players

2.  He continues to get left on base by those same old, washed up players in the lineup right behind him

3.  His team, 4th in a 5 team division, has limited flexibility to turn things around because of horrific mega-contracts, a gutted farm system, a stoic manager busily turning pages, and a pitching staff rapidly becoming among the worst in MLB

no doubt

not by a longshot.

it's like wall street on oct. 30, 1929 around here. i think quite a few aw.com members need to stay away from bridges and high ledgers for the next four or five years.

To be honest I hope they don't stay away from bridges and high ledges. If they really think that Mike will leave because he wasn't given a big enough raise after his first season, or because right now the team is struggling, they probably should test gravity.